Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Announcements & General Discussion  >  How it all started...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Author

How it all started...

iCraft Admin

« on: May 07, 2009, 01:57:11 am »

Initial post from Christine (aka PillowThrowDecor) explaining the idea behind Sellers' Bootcamp:
"Ramp up your business with Sellers' Bootcamp" - https://icraftgifts.com/forum/704/ramp-up-your-business-with-sellers-bootcamp/.

Update to the above post: "iCraft excited and in support of Sellers' Bootcamp!!!!" - https://icraftgifts.com/forum/705/icraft-excited-and-in-support-of-seller-bootcamp/
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:55 am »

This is really impressive.  3 or 4 hours ago I suggested to Admin it would be a lot easier to find and communicate with each other if we had our own forum heading and voila' Admin made it happen.

Here is where you will find you daily instructions.  

There will be 3 new Daily threads started by me ... example

Day 1 ...Check In and Day's Assignment.  (I will post them the night before so we can accomodate all the time zones.) Everyone check's in with a reply so I know they have picked up their daily assignment. If there are 50 participants then there should be 50 replies... you only need write 20 words or less if anything at all...  a simple "Good morning" and a smiley works too.

Day 1 Check out  Assignments Done.  Again I should see 50 replies here and in 20 words or less what you got done/completed on your assignment.  

Day 1 What Happened? Here is where we briefly describe  the observations or results of our day's activites.  This enables us to measure the effectiveness of our marketing activities although it is  difficult to measure in such a short period of time. By the end of this program our cumulative comments will be very helpful in determining where we should / could be spending our promotional time, energy and $. We will keep all comments positive here.  Even if nothing happens it is still valuable information.

Throughout the day I encouraged you to post questions and communicate freely in this forum, about what you are doing... BUT in a different thread than the 3 threads that I discribed above. You can brag, debate, question and even argue... but no whining.

Next day you will again see 3 new threads that I have started as
Day 2 Check in  and Assigment
Day 2 Check out and assignment done
Day 2 What happened?

and so on and so on for each of the remaining days.

I hope this isn't too complicated... It is just a super simple way for me to see how everyone is doing, who needs help, what marketing efforts are most effective.

I have a background in association management, as strategic plannner, sales trainer and University instructor.  Companies would kill for some of the information that each of you will be able to contribute at the end of the program.

Check back here in another day or so and I will talk about our "toolkit" that we need. Don't panic!  You don't have to run down to the hardware store... I am sure you have what you need already.

Cheers
Christine
PillowThrowDecor
FireLilyJewelryGems

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »

I think this is a great idea.

Even if 100% of the 'program' isn't applicable to everybody's shop (for example, iCraft isn't everybody's main online sales site) ... the overall ideas definitely will be applicable to everybody's business.

The main issue I think is that participation here in the forums is fairly low. So it might take some time to get the word out.

One thing you might do, is after it's over, package up the whole program for future newcomers. It could be a valuable resource for pple new to selling online.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 02:45:21 am »

Hi Gems!  I think you are absolutely  right !  A lot of people have icraft as one of several and that's great.  I'm Canadian and I want Canadian exposure.  Canadians are still a little resistant to online sales and especially when it crosses borders.  

Regular Bootcamp for newbies is a great idea Gems!

Hey... we need a good idea person like you in Bootcamp.  Did you go to the Bootcamp forum  and say "Yes count me in"?  

Still working out a few more details with admin but so far I know that icraft is going to be offering some free subscription  stuff for everyone that signs up by May 17.  Anyone can jump in after that date but they will have missed the icraft free stuff.

Also I am talking to some marketing people that will be offering some free advertising for BOOTCAMPERS and some spotlight for icraft. There are an amazing number of people outside of icraft that are really cheering for this program and want to put their shoulder behind this too. Go figure huh?

I am learning that most people involved in the The HANDMADE MOVEMENT are really nice,  very generous with their time and their knowledge and are genuine in wishing you success.

Check out "More goodies" in the Bootcamp forum.  Lots of stuff is coming together everyday... I just haven't had time to sort it all out and share with you all. By next week we will have stuff nailed down!!!

Cheers
Christine
PillowThrowDecor
FireLilyJewelryGems

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 03:01:33 am »

Gems! I think you are absolutely right ! A lot of people have icraft as one of several and that's great. I'm Canadian and I want Canadian exposure. Canadians are still a little resistant to online sales and especially when it crosses borders.

===================

Yes, but understandable when you think about the details. They need to add 20% for the US/CA exchange rate. Then if it costs more than 20$, they're likely to get dinged $5 brokerage fee + taxes owing.

I'm think selling on iCraft in CDN dollars will at least make the exchange rate a non-issue!
mountaindreamers

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:59:07 am »

I think this is a good idea, on line selling is a great way to keep our costs down and our products affordable, I think anything we can do to show our customers we have quality merchandise is great , Laura
kimbuktu

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:15:07 am »

I posted to the initial thread, and am not sure if I need to post here also.  Anyway, I would like to participate.
VioletRose

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:17:19 am »

great idea - can't wait.
limefreckle

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 07:33:07 am »

I posted on the original thread, but I'm posting here too......I need this to get myself into gear, have been ignoring my business for too long -- count me in!

Sue
Uneeec

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 07:39:31 am »

I'm where Sue is,  count me in aswell.  ( I need motivation) and this might just be the ticket.

Nancy  Smiley
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 08:21:35 am »

Count me in too!
Azure Accessories

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 08:39:38 am »

Hello Christine...
Thanks for the invite!

What an interesting idea...I need all the help I can get!!  I have a web site, a blog, another online shop, Facebook page and my iCraft store...my sales are next to nothing!  If I didn't do well at my markets/shows I would have quit making jewelry two years ago!!!   Smiley

My sales on the "other" online shop are from a time period when all I did was frequent the forums...I received exposure and a few sales but I didn't have time for anything else!  At one point I had 3 pages of product now I barely fill one!

I have to admit I've become discouraged, and my time management skills have badly deteriorated...I've actually remove numerous listing from the other shop yesterday.  I've never had a sale from my website, in 2 years???

My first market day is next Saturday so life is hectic right now but I will give it a go...Count me in!!!

Cheers
Heather
Azure Islands Designs
Azure Accessories
psychicx

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 08:43:20 am »

oh i think this is great finally a place to learn..i make knitted things ..i especially work with alan dart patterns as i just love the techniques and ideas..wow...right now ..i am working on knitted wedding cakes..yes you heard me right a wedding cake with all the trimmings and the bride and groom all knitted..i made a sheep from alans pattern she is holding her own knitting needles and knitting a little heart motiff...anyways i took the sheep to the wool growers shop and donated it to them to display she promised me she would get me work..she even put a security ticket on her so know one would steal her..what an honour..so i am glad i was invited to this forum i sure could use more help to sell my products successfully..thanks bren
claire maunsell

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:51:23 am »

Hi, I think this is a great idea even though I haven't yet posted any work to THIS site.  I'm just starting to sort all that could be involved in selling online....COMPLICATED!  And I don't take to it naturally, so could obviously use some help.

Claire
Naturliche

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:06 am »

Good moring.
Pillow, you've been a busy gal!

I'm officially in.
junquete

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 10:53:51 am »

I think I can benefit from boot camp as well. (Now if you add subliminal messages to drop ten pounds I'd really have it made!)   :wink:
Naturliche

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 10:56:12 am »

I'm in for the diet plan too! LOL
urbanharmonie

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 11:07:47 am »

Count me in! I'm hoping to squeeze this into my daily routine. My on-line sales need a little improvement and, certainly my iCraft store needs attention.

Look forward to more posts:)
Vicki
StudioduSoleil

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 12:17:12 pm »

Thank you for the email! This is just the right timing for me. My hubby is getting cut back to 4 days a week next month and we are expecting baby #4 in September. So, I've made a little commitment to myself to really work on my jewelry business after several months of slack. I've been working out a business plan and just need that extra push. The timing could not be better, I'm in! I will upsize my subscription here, continue listing on Etsy and really think about my Artfire subscription (I'm just not in love with the site yet).

I will do my best, I do work 2 days a week outside of the home (Sat/Sun) and life does get busy at the end of the school year. But, I'm committed and will try not to make excuses!

I'll join the diet plan in mid-September...I figure I should be able to drop 20 lbs in a day then!

Really looking forward to this!!

Mary
Trish

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 02:00:09 pm »

This is such a great idea - for I think we can always learn something new - and every bit of information helps!

Count me in!    Cool
Rozzissweetpeas

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 03:41:38 pm »

Cheesy  Fabulous IDEA...count me IN...thanks and hugs rozzi
Vintage Inspired Jewelry

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:59:00 pm »

I am not a Canadian Seller so not sure this is for me???
Brilliant Beads

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »

Hi everyone!

Count me in too!! Great idea to get us going and keep us there!

I'm Canadian too, and would love to see iCraftGifts.com take off in a big way!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 06:38:37 pm »

Count me in!
PinKixx

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 11:24:54 pm »

I must be the stupidest seller here. I read all the threads related to this subject. I received an e-mail from Pillow. Still have no idea what this is about. What assignments? What for? I'll just keep checking in until I find out what this is. I like that we're doing something together though!
sunshadow

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 12:53:27 am »

Hi there,
Thank you for the invite to your bootcamp.
I am in Australia and icraft is not my main online selling site but would love to join in.
Hope you don't mind an Aussi on board !!! ( actually i'm British but prefer the warm)

Wishing you all the best with it.

Tracey   :lol:
mountaindreamers

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 07:57:47 am »

Is this the thread that we should check in daily ? I am excited, today is a local gem show, and I will show restraint and only take a well budgeted amount in cash, no credit cards, take that you unruly large banks to big to fail, no credit charges today, happy Saturday ; ) Laura
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:50 pm »

I usually fiddle around "researching" on the net for hours everyday (i'm retired... but not old:) I play with my geek pillows like they were barbie dolls. Maybe by mid afternoon I get dressed.

TODAY... I HAVE TOLD MY HUSBAND TO KICK MY BUTT IF I AM ONLINE FOR MORE THAN 15 MIN... I actually got my first icraft sale from a local buyer... someone in my own town.  They actually pressed cash in my hand and i am to deliver gift wrapped pillow for mothers day gift.

I experimented with new marketing method... "this is not for the faint hearted" but it works like a hot dammm.

I call it "extreme marketing" didn't cost me a penny and it only took an extra 16 minutes in my day of errands and I had 23 people ask me for a business card.  Can't beat that with a stick.... oh yes and i actually had to get dressed and do my hair  :oops:

My kids (adults) think I'm taking steroids I'm so pumped....more on this later...
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 07:01:46 pm »

I'm in!  I'm glad we hve a week before it starts, which will give me a bit of time to get more of my items listed in this shop (some are photographed already, some not).  

Thanks for organizing this Christine!
StudioduSoleil

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 06:58:33 am »

Congratulations on the sale! Are you really in Mission (I took a peek at your shop)? I don't often run into neighbours online!
Beajoux

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »

Hi there, I'd like to be included in the boot camp too.

Thanks!
Ainsley
Zs Knees

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »

Hi, I'm another who posted on the original thread, so just making sure I'm still in.

Pillow, are you going to make us wait to find out what your "16 minute extreme marketing trick" was???
iCraft Admin

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 03:21:46 am »

WOW, Christine! I have to say, I haven't seen so much activity on the Message Board ever. You are really a bundle of energy and we are so happy to have you with us.  Tongue
You have our full support, so keep up the good work!
We’ll definitely do everything possible to ensure the success of this program.

I am so glad to see that everyone is as excited about “Sellers’ Bootcamp” as we are.

One thing that we will implement ASAP is the “opt in” feature, so only those who signed up for the “Sellers’ Bootcamp” would receive an email from Christine or iCraft regarding this program. Also, we wouldn’t have to count votes on the Message Board to see who is in, if we had everyone's vote logged in our database.

For now, we’ll simply add a checkbox on your Profile page below “Newsletter” checkbox saying “Yes, sign me up for Sellers’ Bootcamp”. Later, we could build up this program more and maybe even display your daily “Homework” on the main “My Account” page, so you could cross off things that you’ve done and then track and compare your marketing efforts against your Web Analytics data. Ok, I know we don’t have Web Analytics yet, but I am talking about future, right?   :wink:
Beajoux

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 12:40:07 pm »

I can't find this:

For now, we’ll simply add a checkbox on your Profile page below “Newsletter” checkbox saying “Yes, sign me up for Sellers’ Bootcamp”.

Has it been implemented? I don't even see a "Newsletter" checkbox either. (And I am wearing my glasses!)

Thanks!
Ainsley :?
iCraft Admin

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 12:51:39 pm »

Beajoux,
No, we didn't implement "opt in" checkbox yet. Still working on that. I'll keep you posted!
JillsTreasureChest

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 09:31:10 pm »

Ok.  I posted on the other thread.  Count me in.  Thanks for contacting me.  My Etsy sales are not outstanding either.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 09:34:46 pm »

I bet you and I are the only ones that know where Mission is!!!

You know... I think I looked at your site a number of months ago when I was think tanking this whole online thing.  You have gorgeous stuff. I am always so amazed to learn of the incredible talent that lives all around me.

For the benefit of others reading this, Mission about 10 miles North of the Canada USA border and about 40 miles east of Vancouver British Columbia.
Our weather is similar to Seattle!

Give me a week or two and lets meet at Starbucky's for coffee!!!

I bet you and I have crossed paths at the post office (mailing icraft orders no doubt) at least a dozen times   :lol:

I was the person in the line-up with  a GEEK pillow strapped to my chest.  Its part of my "EXTREME MARKETING EXPERIMENT" that I'll share more with you later  :wink:

See you in bootcamp??? Oh I am so excited to meet you!!!

Cheers

Christine
Pillowthrowdecor
jewelry designer

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »

Hi Christine,

Generally I appreciate that anyone wants to do something for creative people who sometimes cannot sell their staff because they don't have the necessary tools and think it's not "creative", just "administrative". Unfortunately, if we want to sell-we all have to learn, and we can learn frome each other's experience (that's how they call mistakes).
I'm in, although I don't have spare time at all, but then-will learn time management...

Thanks
Regina's Jewellery
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »

Thanks for the PM.  I just want to see if you navigated your way in here and yuppers you found the forum.

Good stuff!
psychicx

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:17 am »

oh i do hope i dont miss the first assignment..bren
mountaindreamers

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 07:35:40 am »

Yea, someone on Good Morning America said the recession is over, so it must be so, and now people will want accessories again, great news Laura
Masters Glass Art

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:24 pm »

OK, I am in!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Announcements & General Discussion  >  How it all started...
Jump to:  
Click