Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  General Discussion  >  Ramp up your business with Sellers Bootcamp
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Author

Ramp up your business with Sellers Bootcamp

PillowThrowDecor

« on: May 05, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »

I agree with Brilliant Beads about icraft needing more traffic which means we need more sellers for more product which of course means more promotion.

Hey everyone reading this... what do you think about a Seller's Bootcamp?

I 've retired from another career but part of my professional background was sales training.  As independent business people it is all about accountability. This week I am a bad example as I had a plan to promote in a number of free ad sites and so on.  I do much better when I know there is a team of people marching along with me every day and are as committed as I am to doing assigned activities.

If I put the activity list together, and we all get ready to run with this by say next Monday, who's in this with me?Huh Can we all email at least 5 other people, especially  the low to no sales or ones that haven't updated in awhile.  I can plan an activity list that will be a low or no cost program?

Let me know if you are in? Respond on this thread and we can start tracking people who are willing to commit to 21 day bootcamp where we will spend at least 30 minutes a day doing our homework.

You can also email me directly at cskaley@uniserve.com if you have any questions.

Christine
PillowThrowDecor
Zs Knees

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:51:01 pm »

Ok PillowThrow, count me in!

Things have been crazy for me for the past month, with a big move to another city and a new job, but now I'm ready to get things done again.

Thanks for the support and motivation Cheesy
Craft Boutique

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:01 am »

Oh, oh... this is brilliant! Thanks for taking a lead. I am definitely in! Cheesy
The Gifted Nest

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:22:17 am »

Hi Count me in Smiley
Loopy4ewe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 08:26:25 am »

Can I be half in? lol I really do want to be involved, but I have to be realistic. May/June are insane months for me for life in general:)
Naturliche

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:44:34 pm »

Hi and thanks for the invite.
I would say that we need to definately get the word out and more people onto this site.  

On the other hand, I think icraft should really help in getting the word out.

1) you have to keep people interested.  I often wonder about those listings that haven't updatd in a while - do those people still sell?  What if someone comes to this site & wants to buy and that seller is no longer involved?  Because we only pay a one time fee - and there aren't any expiry dates.. how does a person know?  I might be wrong about this - someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

2) they have to advertise on behalf of the community you created.

I haven't gotten really involved yet, I just listed a couple of items.  And in the throws of getting my business started, I don't think I can really commit to doing much.  

I have a link on my blog for this site, and I will be promoting my listings here on my blog, but I also have to think of this as a supplement to my business, not the main venue for sales.

I am interested to hearing what ideas others have!
FireLilyJewelryGems

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 03:02:38 pm »

Thank you for the email, I'm definitely interested.

My first online venue was Etsy, and I'm currently opening shops on Dawanda and iCraft. 1000markets.com is another one I'm interested in ... when it becomes available to international sellers.

Right now I only have a few products on iCraft ... *sigh* I'm kinda stuck on photography. There's a few areas where my photos really need refining, and I'm kinda stuck on where to go ... so I'm dithering around and getting nothing accomplished Smiley

So this bootcamp sounds like the perfect way for me to just move on, live with my photos for now, and get a few useful non-photographic things accomplished for my business!

As far as the question raised above "who advertises/markets my shop ... iCraft or me?" Well, my opinion is and always has been ... iCraft markets iCraft, Firelily Jewelry markets Firelily Jewelry (and Etsy advertises Etsy, and Dawanda advertises Dawanda, etc).

One of my reasons for choosing iCraft + Dawanda + Etsy is, each of these venues reaches a segment of the population that the other venues don't reach. Less than 5% of my sales on Etsy are to Canadians ... I see iCraft is a means of reaching all those Canadians that aren't buying from me on Etsy.

That means there's specific marketing I could to for my iCraft shop that's different than the marketing I would do for my Etsy or Dawanda shop.
Naturliche

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:16:37 pm »

Sorry, maybe that didn't come out right....
I meant, that icraft should advertise icraft.. not MY personal shop.
Which is why I did say also that i don't think that I should look at icraft as my only storefront.

And you're right, I think they need to get the word out to Canadian buyers - I try to buy Canadian and support Canadian business.  

Am I perhaps mis-interpreting the purpose of this bootcamp?  I read it to mean advertising the venue - not a bootcamp for motivating people to get thier business stuff done - sorry.

What I do think is great is that its relatively new, and those of us on it now can do alot with it before it becomes something like ebay where your goods are hidden amongst HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of other listings.  And I love that everything you buy on here is HANDMADE.. not supplies, not re-sellers like what ebay has turned into!

I hope that makes sense.  I don't want to seem like I want icraft to do all the work.  Us as business owners have to take care of our own business!!

=D

What are your issues with your photographs?  I bought a great camera and I get grear shots.  If there's something I can help you with, i'd love to!  I did alot of research when i bought my Rebel.
FireLilyJewelryGems

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 04:21:10 pm »

Hi Naturliche,

You've got a good point ... I do plan on having my own site one day, and marketing that sounds like a better idea.

But I'm wondering if it might be easier to market something like my shop on iCraft in Canada. If iCraft markets themselves, and gets the same name recognition in Canada that Etsy gets in the US, then I'm wondering if pple will go "hey that Firelily Jewelry shop is on iCraft ... I've shopped on iCraft before, maybe I should check it out". Anyways, I'll probably do a little experimentation.

And I figure anything I learn will be applicable to my business as a whole as well.

And, well, photos ... Overall, I think my photos are decent. I had them all photographed on grey slate, but I'm thinking of moving away from that a bit. It's a bit "gloomy", and the dark background really overwhelms some of my jewelry pieces. The problem is I'm having difficulty finding something that works better AND is easy to photograph! Lol, I've decided I'm wasting too much time on it, so I need to concentrate on other things for now.
Naturliche

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 04:27:22 pm »

hha.. that's so funny.. I photograph my bath products and it looks great on my camera playback, but when I upload them, I think they're too dark too.  

What I'm going to try is this - I bought River Rocks and I'm going to photograph my products on a white background with the rocks as a kind of accent then use a brighter light to shine on it.  See how that works.

I love my Rebel.  It takes fantastic photos.  I just need to work on the lighting.

You know the other thing I was thinking of is I've registered my domain name and am figuring out how to create a website.  Maybe until I get that done, I should have the domain re-directed to my icraft store..... wonder if I can do that?
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:18 pm »

PillowThrow, what do you have in mind for a Seller's Bootcamp?  I'm one that likes to know what I'm in for before I decide to jump in.   :wink:
FireLilyJewelryGems

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 07:01:21 pm »

Hi Naturliche ... yes, you can forward your domain to your shop here. Or anywhere else. That's what I'm doing with my domain.
Naturliche

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 08:20:30 pm »

Hmm.. maybe I"ll start with that!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »

Wow what a response.

I've quickly skimmed through the messages and will read again after but for now will respond briefly to some of the comments.

By the way can everybody please put your storename under your name when sending emails so we know who wrote in our emails.

Firstly the whole point of a bootcamp is to learn discipline in our day to PROMOTE OUR PRODUCT and PRODUCE OUR PRODUCT in BALANCE. 80% of SUCCESS is about SHOWING UP.  Which means that almost any dummy can make a sale if they show up in front of the customer at the right time and the right place.... and it almost always means showing up more than once.  And that's of course where most sales/salespeople fail as they try only once. There's only two basic reasons why something doesn't sell... 1) it isn't priced right or 2) something is the matter with marketing (little or none or just bad).

I laugh as I write this because I have been the worst offender of all since starting my online business. I have elevated "fiddling around" to a whole new level. I've recently retired from another career that was go go go 24/7. Lately I have been eating super in my PJ's in between playing with fabric  and researching (snooping) on the net.

I want my business to be a success which does not mean I have to make gobs of money.  It means that I want to have fun and do what I have always wanted to do (play pillows). I want it to be a respectable business person running a respectable business and one day be on either Opra or Martha's show. LOL  I haven't had time to watch tv in about 26 years.

So what are we going to do? For 28 days (with weekends off) we will set a regular pattern for our business marketing.  Every day we will set aside at least 30 minutes (when it works best for you) to complete at least one NEW assignment that involves getting the word out about ourselves, our product, our site.  Some of these assignments will be cumulative... example we will build a list of free ads that we post our products on ... starting small and adding week by week.... especially in our local markets.

Other activities that I am still thinking on

1) Signing up on other sites is good... like ARTFIRE but not spreading ourselves too thin.  Loading listings takes sooooo much time. icraft has the best system I've seen so far.
2) posting free ads... example Craigslist, kijji, etc (I had 3 inquiries from Craigslist in one week)
3) Making contact with other sellers commenting, complimenting and encouraging. ...What goes around comes around.
4) Handing out an assigned number of business cards to places you haven't done yet.
5) Set a goal to produce and list daily or whatever a reasonable interval is for you. Mine is to list daily.
6) We will help each other critique our photos, our product copy, our policies, our bios.
7) We will Kaboodle ( I'm still not sure what that is about)
Cool We will learn and do treasuries (Linda can take the lead and teach us more about ARTFIRE treasuries)
9) We will learn more about blogging and aim to set one up if you haven't already
10) Twitter... i think I am too old to discuss what I eat, where I shop and what colour my hair is today.. I would rather get serious about a Facebook but maybe I need to be straightened out on this one.
11) We will brainstorm for LISTS. We will brainstorm new marketing methods... how about a VIRTUAL PARTY PLAN... I hate calling it party plan but at least you get what I mean.
12) We will evaluate each of our own products and try and formulate a plan whereby we can offer some or all of our product line at wholesale and then search out retailers.
13) We will discipline ourselves to check our emails and our views no more than THREE TIMES A DAY.... I am laughing hysterically... for me giving up chocolate would be easier.
14) We will sign in on the forum once in the morning and once in the evening... the synergy of "forum buzz" is incredible... cheap fix of adrenalin.

Incentives and rewards

1) Growth for our business which we may or may not immediately earn gobs of money.... but it will come and in the meantime we will feel better about ourselves / business .

2) Fun and friends... and /or at least more time with our family because we have learned to not procrastinate.

A prize or money or something for showing up and participating on the forum "check in"... I haven't talked to icraft admin yet but I will see if there is something that they would like to help out with.

AND.....................DRUM ROLL............. For everyone that does their check-in and their homework (or at least demonstrates effort) we can draw for a ......... fantabulous Pillow and Throw Set of their choice or available fabrics that I have. Value $150 to 400$   Honour system. of course.

In summary... Just joining the BOOTCAMP crowd will get you going. And, even if you don't think any of these ideas are any good, just doing SOMETHING... ANYTHING... IS BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING.............

BECAUSE LIKE i SAID BEFORE.............

80% of SUCCESS IS ABOUT SHOWING UP!!!

.... start getting ready... we're gonna rock and roll next week!

More later

Christine
PillowThrowDecor

PS I would love some help sending personal emails inviting some others to join in on this.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 08:49:23 pm »

I'm scared.

28 days?  I don't even have 28 things to list!

But, I'm willing to try.  I can already guarantee I will fail at least 5 things on that list.  But, if I do all the rest, it will be miles ahead of now.  I support you supporting me! lol
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:15 pm »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I failed all of them!

I know if nothing changes... nothing changes.

But I know we can all make a huge difference if we at least all try something together.

:oops: I guess I'll have to start dressing in the mornings...

HEY DO WE HAVE ANY SELLERS OUT THERE THAT SELL NICE PAJAMAS?Huh

Christine
PillowThrowDecor
Vintage Inspired Jewelry

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:21 am »

Not sure what all is involved or what we are suppose to be doing. Interested in learning more an your ideas for promoting. signed, Vintage Inspired Jewelry.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 02:33:55 pm »

Wow so much has come together in the last 48 hours I am amazed.  Admin has their thinking caps on and their computer gnomes are doing overtime to help us out with our Seller's Bootcamp.

I need to round up some "ELVES" that will help hold our hands in this. I'm looking for some volunteers, photography how to expert, and a "Rotational sellers buy from me expert"... I will hunt helpers down so might as well just give in and email me now. :twisted:

Tell an icraft friend about this and get them on board.  Just say "yes, count me in" on this thread or better yet in the "Seller Bootcamp forum". I am not suggesting raiding sellers from other online sites but start today inviting other sellers that need a Canadian exposure and help and encouragement to join icraft as well..and this bootcamp too.  

Personally, I like having two sites and probably always will but I like icraft best (cause we are the beginning of something BIG and I don't like always being roadkill at a cousin site).... By the way Admin is working on a "BRING A BUDDY" program for us.

I promise you...
  You will have a blast with this 28 day program!
   You won't be committed  to spending gobs of money marketing
  You will be $$$ rewarded by icraft for saying "yes I do"
  You will have a chance to earn/win STUFF!!!
  You won't bleed or break your leg
  You will get your name and product out to "unexplored galaxies"
  You will have a very HIGH chance of kickstarting your sales
  You will become RICH in ideas, energy, friends and on the road to $$$
  You will smile and laugh more AND feel SO MUCH YOUNGER
   :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

More program info on the icraft 6 oclock news so check back and for GAWWWD sakes just say YES COUNT ME IN.

Christine :idea:
PillowThrowDecor
kimbuktu

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 07:00:51 am »

I am definitely interested and would like to be involved.  I do have another site I sell on, have a couple of custom orders to finish this month, and work full time, but I can definitely use help in this area so I will do the best I can to follow the plan.

I think this is a wonderful idea, and appreciate the effort you have put into it Christine.
mountaindreamers

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 07:08:17 am »

I would like to do this as well, I think business will succeed, we need to bring creativity and productivity back to our countries, it is an insane policy to ship all production of goods overseas, it depletes our economy (this is obvious) and it also depletes our resevoir of creativity. count me in !!! Laura  ( Clan of the Mountaindreamers)
limefreckle

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 07:29:39 am »

I'm interested in joining this bootcamp, it couldn't have come at a better time!  I've really been stalled in my business lately, wanting to move forward, but letting life get in the way.  I've essentially ignored my online shops, and need to get busy, get posting, and get selling!  Count me in!

Sue
Ds Naturals

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 07:54:25 am »

I'm certainly willing to give it a try.  My items aren't going anywhere by themselves! Tongue
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 08:27:47 am »

Count me in too!

It is the "busiest " work time I have had in years with my marketing consulting business (good thing) so why not add another good thing too! lol!

But having some structure to my jewelry business will help! My problem is inconsistency due to working full time.

Yes, I have multiple shops too but really love iCraft the best for my handmade - it looks so professional and creative. The ambiance is fabulous. I have a customer that won't shop at my other shops...lol! Good for her!
Eyeshoot Photography

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 09:30:44 am »

Thanks for the email- I'm willing to give your Boot Camp plan a go, so please count me in!
FireFly Jewellery

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 10:47:47 am »

I think I am in. tell me what to do, LOL
junquete

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 11:11:20 am »

well I am in my pj's too! But this sounds great. Does it really mean I have to get dressed?  
  :oops:
I did read gorilla  marketing years ago bt have not retained one word of it!  :roll:
So I think this will be good for me. I do need the kick in the arse to get things moving.
Thank you for the motivation this far! I feel energy! ~junquete
Lise

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »

OOOH I want in....count me in!!  I may not succeed in all "homework" assignments, but some action is better than no action   Cheesy
gohgirl

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 12:33:40 pm »

Thanks for contacting me. I am willing to give this a shot so count me in!
LovePeaceandDye

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 03:27:25 pm »

thanks for emailing me!  i would love to get more items online..and to promote it all way better.  i tour in the summer, but really think i can commit to this and think it sounds great !!  i will keeping checking the forums Smiley
soulshine

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 06:17:12 pm »

Ok, cool.  sign me up!  I've not been here in a stupid long time...got involved with other things, and wonder why my stuff doesn't sell.  I"l post more things on in the next week, I"ve got tons of stuff, just haven't posted.  
Thanks for doing this!!!

Ann
Soulshine
YB Emporium Handmade Jewelry

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 07:19:10 pm »

Thank you for the email and the invite. I'm definitely interested. Count me in.

YB Emporium :lol:
Mostly Sundays

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 09:59:08 am »

This is a great forum - I've looked at ideas on other sites but I'm hoping this one will get me going!!

Count me in to Seller's Bootcamp.

Karen
Mostly Sundays
Cindys Creative Crochet

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 11:57:45 am »

Ok, I can use help, my Etsy site is finally starting to get a few sales, but I can certainly use a training program.
JillsTreasureChest

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »

I'll try this.  I haven't paid much attention to this shop, and it needs some help.    I'll check on the other thread.

Jill
Jill's Treasure Chest.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:34 pm »

Glad to see you are on board!!

Cheers

Christine
Pillowthrowdecor
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  General Discussion  >  Ramp up your business with Sellers Bootcamp
Jump to:  
Click