Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 15 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Blogging Part 3
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Author

Day 15 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Blogging Part 3

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: October 12, 2012, 02:34:13 am »

Today's Assignment is for everyone to finish their work on their blog posts, polish them and post links below for everyone to comment on them. At the end of the day, I'd like to see a review of all 6 posts from all of you.

• What did you think about the story line? Could it be improved?
  • Did you feel like you got to know the person the blog post was about? Was anything missing in the story that you wished was there?
  • What did you think of the post Title? Did it make you want to read the post?
  • Are there any spelling mistakes?
  • Any other feedback you have.
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:32 am »

https://icraftgifts.com/blog/there-is-magic-in-that-silver-405.php
Silver Workshop

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:35 am »

Here's mine: http://www.silverworkshop.ca/beaded-charm-bracelets-cha-cha-bracelets-jewelry-by-kat
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:36 am »

Hi Kat,  your link doesn't work...it says not found....
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:12 am »

ok, all fixed up...photos have links and I've included Marta as creator, instead of saying "they".

http://redrockdesigns.tumblr.com/post/33363886546/natural-handmade-soap-for-all-skin-types

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:30 am »

Kat's link should work now, as I had to approve her post first. https://icraftgifts.com/blog/there-is-magic-in-that-silver-405.php

Unfortunately, I can't publish unfinished work, as it will be visible to all site visitors and re-tweeted multiple times, so I had to fix up a few things in the post. Kat, if you look at your post, you'll see that I've added one product shot and aligned images to right and left margins to make copy flow better.

Anyway, you can all critique Kat's writing now.  Wink

Thanks for making changes, Red Rock Designs!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:52:56 am by iCraft Admin »
Silver Workshop

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »

Well, it appears that my site is down but hopefully it won't be for long  Sad.

Kat, considering I had already read and commented on your blog it's hard for me to add much except I think the page looks great (I hadn't seen that before). I think you did a great job talking about me as a person, something that can be a challenge:).

Red Rock Designs: I love how you used Delightful Suds' banner and pictures together, it creates a "feel" to the page.  I like the title and story line. It would have been nice to learn how Marta got into soap making (to get to know her better) but maybe that would have been too long a blog. You did focus a lot on her products and how they're made and that's the priority. I also like that you experienced the product yourself, makes me want to get some:). Nice writing too!
JaJeJems

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 04:34:35 pm »

No I haven't left the country - may have thought about it a couple of times today though!  Admin, I am doing my blog on my icraft blog.  Is there a way to preview it so that I can check if my links are live?
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »

After you hit draft there is a purple magnifing glass-preview...........Kat
JaJeJems

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »

Thanks Kat for the information - that helped a lot!  Admin I have published my blog.  I had a couple of questions for Fairy C and I am waiting to hear from her before it goes public.  I know that you have to review it first anyway.  Thanks, Janis
JaJeJems

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:44 pm »

Kat I just had a look at your blog and I think that it looks really good.  I especially love your title - yes it did make me want to read more.  I thought that you gave a good resume of Andree's background and I liked the added picture of her.  I felt that I got to know her better through your description - funny thing but she isn't at all what I expected!  I did notice one little spelling error or typo in the second paragraph where you said "her shop come"  I think it should be comes.  I would say that you have come a long way Miss Kat from those little short descriptions of the past.  Well done!
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 06:56:02 pm »

Thanks JaJeJems!
JaJeJems

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 07:05:59 pm »

Hi Bibi;

I have just had a look at your blog on Delightful Suds.  It looks very good.  LIke someone else said I also like your use of her banner at the top of the page. The pictures really stand out where you have place them and surrounded by white they look like they are floating!  Good descriptions of the products.  I like the title and it fits the piece that you have written. It was a nice touch to give some personal information about Marta at the end which helps us to know her a bit better but doesn't take away from the main theme of the piece.  I also liked that you told us about your own experience with her products - that will inspire confidence in potential customers!  I checked all of your links to her products and they worked and I couldn't find even one spelling mistake!  Great job!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:26:27 pm »

Hi JaJeJems,

Yes, please don't leave the country until we finish this Bootcamp.  Wink
One more week to go and then you are off the hook.

There are multiple links and icons, as Kat mentioned, to preview your blog post.
I'll review your post shortly. Did you get any photos from Lisa? It would be nice to include her photo in the post too.
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »

Andree, Silver work shop, Great story of me Jewelry by Kat.  The story line was good and detailed.  You get to know me and my techniques. Ending good.  The title could be more catchy......Kat

Red Rock,  Beautiful piece, very well explained.  At first I thought you forgot to link to her shop, but those beautiful pictures are great!  Ending good.  No spelling errors.  .....Kat
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 08:20:38 pm »

Kat, I enjoyed your blog, especially how you focused on the artist, Andree, it made me feel like I had something in common with her – that connection that makes you want to buy!  Good Job.

Silver Workshop, well done. You focused on Kat’s techniques and added a bit of personal info about her.

I enjoyed reading both.  And the links worked on both blogs…yay!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »

I have a rough draft together.  Got some input from Janis.  Waiting on input from Jessica (but she's having computer problems).  I'm hoping to have my post up on Sunday.

Off to read the others!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »

Kat - not sure if this is a fluke but it's clever: You used "handmade silver jewellery" in the first keyword phrase and then jewelry elsewhere.  I think the dual spelling is a nice iteration of the keyword and will catch both British English and American English crowds.  Yours is definitely a nice "journey" post but very biographical.  I wondered what your thoughts and impressions were on the work or the techniques.  That would help make the post more personal to you.

Andree - Also a biographical article but it does carry personal insight: "my favourite, the cha cha bacelets", "some pieces have history".  I love the ending how you worked in the fact that Kat does jewelry parties within the natural flow of the article instead of stating in a blandly factual way.

RedRock - I agree, the banner does fit across there quite nicely.  The first-hand experience right at the beginning gives immediate buy-in because now I know you have the inside scoop!  The keywords were right in the natrual flow of the sentences and well placed.
-- by the way, I noticed you have your new avatar as a favicon too!  Look at you, so advanced and stuff!! <thumbs up>
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:37 am »

Here is post from Delightful Suds - https://icraftgifts.com/blog/more-than-one-colour-parachute-404.php
Marta, I've added one product shot to your post. Are there any other improvements she could make to this post?
Please review it!

JaJeJems, it's a nice post. I'd like you to add Lisa's photo to it. It's missing personal photos.

I'll provide my feedback on all posts after I see a review from all of you.
Have a nice weekend everyone!  One more week to go.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:05:31 am by iCraft Admin »
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 06:11:30 am »

Delightful Suds,  That is a catchy title. something I definately had to read.  Good detail of Bibi's life.  No spelling errors and the ending is good...........Kat
JaJeJems

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »

Just posted my blog again with Lisa's picture and what I hope is some improvement in the spacing!
JaJeJems

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »

Just having a look at Delightful Suds blog and here are my thoughts.  I liked the title.  It is creative, something many people can relate to and defintiely caught my attention.  You introduced your subject well and I like the picture of Bibi!  you summed up the personal information well and it seemed to me that the product information flowed smoothly and naturally from that.  All of your links worked and even though I tried I couldn't find one typo!  Looks very good Delightful!
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 12:44:13 pm »

Delightful Suds, thank you...I love it...I agree with JaJe, it flows very nicely.  And I love the spin you've given it relating to parachute colours.

I am wondering though whether there should be a link for chainmaille jewelry or a small pic?....since I've learned that not many people know what it is.  The words "chainmaille jewelry" have a red squiggly line under it.....but it's not in blue to show there's a link attached.

Otherwise great job!
JaJeJems

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »

Hi Silver Workshop;
Looking at your blog and here are some thoughts.  The title is good and yes I think I would read on from there.  I like your introductory paragraph except I think that you should say "She and her daughter".  I think that you did a wonderful job of weaving Kat's personal information into your copy.  I felt like I got to know her a lot better but I think it was more effective than just writing a paragraph about her history.  Now I know her working background, who does what in her partnership with her daughter, where she is from and that she does home parties!  You also very cleverly got 5 product showcased for her.  I did find it a bit confusing that 3 of the products weren't pictured.  Not that I think that they need to be necessarily but I did mistake the beaded bracelet with dragonfly for the chacha bracelet with the dragon fly that was pictured and almost didn't look at it.  Maybe a picture of Kat and her daughter be a nice addition? Your ending wrapped things up well and I could see that leading on to a blog about doing home parties!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 04:21:39 pm »

JaJeJems,

Your post is live now! Great story.
Everyone, please critique this post too.

https://icraftgifts.com/blog/reach-out-and-touch-someone-with-a-handmade-greeting-card-406.php
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »

JaJe, great article.  I thought the interview technique was good because we learned straight from the creator why her passion is handmade cards. And I was intrigued from the 1st paragraph why handmade cards are still used and relevant in today's tech society.

Good job...and all the links worked!
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 07:21:28 pm »

JaJeJems,   What an awesome story!  It makes you want a card and love Lisa. I enjoyed it and you never lost my interest!..........Kat
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »

I heard from Jessica today!  I am drafting my article.

Sorry - I got two little boys dumped on me for an overnight surprise.  My sister's father-in-law is severely unwell and she needed someone to watch the little ones.  They have been put to bed now, but our house is utterly non-child-safe, so my valiant husband is going to stay with them in the living room where we had to put a mattress on the floor for them. We don't even have a room and a proper bed!  Aye-Carumba!

Marta, I agree with the others that your post was very interesting.  What a wonderful inspirational post!  I would have loved to have seen at least one more picture - one with colour to go with that inventive title!

Janis - thanks again for thinking up those wonderful questions and making it relevent to today's world!  I am tickled that you linked not only the photos, but also a description.  It's fantastic!  Thank-you for the first-hand review and, wow, I didn't even know those stats.  Embarrassed Shame on me!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:36:55 pm by Fairy Cardmaker »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »

No problem, Lisa! Take your time.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 12:15:48 am »

Ok, it is scheduled to post at 10am Sunday on my Blogger blog.
I will be back in the evening when the little figety-fingered people have been collected by their parents!
JaJeJems

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »

hi Fairy C - what an awesome blog! what can I say??
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »

http://www.fairycardmaker.com/2012/10/holiday-style-boost-with-seaglass.html

Here is the link for the others.  Little people have gone home.  Extended family is in stable condition.  I need a nap!
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 06:48:47 pm »

Awesome blog!     When I grow up I want to write like you.    In your blog I really got to know Janice and Jessica and their store is featured beautifully...............Kat
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »

Fairy C, great blog! I loved how you tied it into upcoming holiday parties...which definately makes it relevant and holiday dress up can be very different for family parties & work events.

The blog flows very nicely, transitioning from womens jewelry to mens, and including background info on both artists and how they contribute (who makes what).  Good choice of photos too.  Well done.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 02:59:02 am »

Here are a few comments from my review.

1. JaJeJems -  https://icraftgifts.com/blog/reach-out-and-touch-someone-with-a-handmade-greeting-card-406.php
Great post! very informative with all 3 product Key Phrases incorporated into the links.

2. Fairy Cardmaker - http://www.fairycardmaker.com/2012/10/holiday-style-boost-with-seaglass.html
Very nice post! I enjoyed reading it. I feel like I am getting to know everyone better  Grin

One note - Just so you know, when you link multiple times to the same page, only first link counts. So the anchor text on the first link is the most important. I don't think it will hurt, but it will not help to link to the same page with multiple anchor texts. I'd probably try not to overdo it. Especially, don't use very generic terms like "bracelets" when you link to a page that's been optimized for "Seaglass Jewellery".

3. Delightful Suds - https://icraftgifts.com/blog/more-than-one-colour-parachute-404.php
It's a nice post. However, you haven't used any of Bibi's primary keywords in your article, as anchor text to link to her optimized pages.
You link to one product in your post "stitched bracelet", but that's not the page that Bibi optimized.

Her 3 optimized products pages are:
Agate bracelet, Floating bead necklace and chain maille bracelet.
It's ok to link to other products in your article, but the main idea behind these articles was to link to those optimized pages.

4. Jewelry by Kat - https://icraftgifts.com/blog/there-is-magic-in-that-silver-405.php
Nice post, a bit on a shorter side, could use a couple more images... But you've managed to incorporate 2 product links with good anchor text into your article, so that's good.

5. Silver Workshop - http://www.silverworkshop.ca/beaded-charm-bracelets-cha-cha-bracelets-jewelry-by-kat
Good article, but also feels a bit short and missing personal photos. But that's just my personal feeling. Good anchor text and you've mentioned all of them, which is what we were aiming for.

6. Red Rock Designs - http://redrockdesigns.tumblr.com/post/33363886546/natural-handmade-soap-for-all-skin-types
2 out of 3 product links and a link to Marta's store - well done! The only thing I'd say again - this post also feels too short and for me it's missing personal photos.

One thing that I've noticed on almost all posts is missing Alt text on images. Alt text helps search engines to interpret images. It also makes images accessible to visually impaired users, that use special software to browse the web. On iCraft blog, you can enter alt text in the image property box.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:08:05 am by iCraft Admin »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 05:33:33 am »

Oh yeah, for those who posted on iCraft blog, we'll add Alt text on images for you, so you don't need to worry about your last post. Thanks!
Silver Workshop

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 06:56:19 am »

Ok, thanks for the feedback, admin. And thanks to JaJeJems too, good points that I'll keep in mind for today's assignment!

I'll just mention quickly that I just saw the two three blog posts and here are my comments: Fairy Cardmaker, fantastic! You include so much information and the page looks wonderful. I really feel like I'm getting to know Janis and Jessica. Delightful Suds, I love how you open up about modern women and then go into the article about Bibi, it's  a great way to start. The one thing I might have liked to see is a picture of her work "above the fold", without having to scroll down, just to make sure we visually see right away what the post is about. JaJeJems, you also worked very hard and it shows. A great blog post with tons of information, and I love that sassy picture of Lisa! 

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 07:10:47 am »

Great feedback, Silver Workshop! 
Yes, we have one hard working team here. Everyone did great with the last assignment  Grin
JaJeJems

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 11:23:49 am »

Admin,

I see where you can enter alt text when you put in an image but I am not clear what it is exactly? Would it be the product name or title?  Sometimes I feel  a  bit thick headed about all of this!  Must be an age thing!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »

Admin, the bracelet link and the lampwork bead link are linked to a shop category and a shop section. Does that read as a generic shop link?
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 03:43:31 pm »

Hi JaJeJems,

Imagine you are describing image to a person who can't see - that's what the Alt text is for. If it's a product image, product Title is probably fine. If it's a picture of a person, mention their name, store name and location, like "Bibi, owner of jewelry store Red Rock Designs from Oakville, Canada".

Image Alt text helps with SEO, as it adds good Keywords to page text and allows your images to be found through Google image search (one more way to get traffic to your pages).
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 04:56:48 pm »

Hi Fairy Cardmaker,

This is actually not a simple question.

1. JaJeJems's store page is optimized for "Seaglass Jewellery", so other terms in anchor text technically don't matter. Her goal is to get as many links to her store that relate to "Seaglass Jewellery".
2. Like I said, only the very first link to a page matters and you have "Seaglass Jewellery" in it. So you are already helping JaJeJems in her quest for better rankings for this particular phrase "Seaglass Jewellery".
3. Link to a Collection on a store page is still a link to the same page.  It's mostly useful for users.
4. You had "Bracelets" as anchor text. "Seaglass Bracelets" would probably be a better term to use when you link to a page that's all about "Seaglass Jewellery".
However, it doesn't matter much, as those additional links don't do much from SEO perspective. So I'd worry more about users' view here. When people scan a page and see a link to "Bracelets", they don't know immediately what kind of Bracelets you are talking about. It could mean All Bracelets in the world. Anchor text usually helps us to set users' expectations.
5. It's good to develop good habits when linking to pages. Generic (one word) terms are almost never used as an anchor text.
6. With all this talk about optimization of anchor text, I just want to make sure you don't over-optimized pages either. (We are far from this btw!) However, you should know that Google's latest updates were targeting over-optimized pages - those that always link using same anchor text... so make sure you diversify your anchor text.... I've mentioned basic rules for Backlinks here.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:09 pm »

Thanks.  That is a helpful explanation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 15 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Blogging Part 3
Jump to:  
Click