Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 5 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "Red Rock Designs"
Pages: [1] 2  All
Author

Day 5 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "Red Rock Designs"

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: September 28, 2012, 05:13:43 am »

Today's assignment is to review next store from buyers' perspective.
This time it will be:    

Red Rock Designs

Here is what we want to evaluate:
(I am making this list of questions generic, so we could re-use them on all stores):
  • Your first impressions
  • Store Title & Description.
    Is it clear why these products are special and why you'd want to buy them? Is there enough copy to describe variety of products in this store?
  • Target Keywords.
    Are the keywords currently used in the copy accurately describe all items? What keywords you'd use to describe products in this store?
  • Store Policies.
    Do you have any issues with any of the stores policies? Is it clear if you can return products to the seller?  
  • Product Photos.
    Are they good quality photos? Can you see what you are buying in a detail?
  • Product Titles & Descriptions.
    Are all Product Titles unique? Is there enough copy describing each product? Do you understand why those products are special? What method or technique did the seller use to make them? Who most likely would appreciate them and why? What occasion are they for?
  • Product Prices & Shipping.
    Are they too high? too low?
  • Any other comments you have

Please post your comments below. We'll review all comments and summarize what needs to be done at the end of the day. Tomorrow we'll take a look at the next store in the list and so on, until we review all six stores.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:49:28 am by iCraft Admin »
Silver Workshop

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:05:51 am »

Hello Bibi,

I must say it was a pleasure looking at your beautiful jewellery, especially the intricate beaded work.

My first suggestion is regarding your banner. I never knew what I was looking at in your avatar and after looking at your banner, I realized it was chain mail and bead work but even in your banner, it's quite small and hard to make out. It would be nice if you could have bigger pictures of your work on your banner, even if it's a blown up part of a couple of piece showing the intricacy of the designs.

I noticed some of your titles don't have colours listed, and some of your pieces are so colourful it would be good to put them, like this one for example: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34709/red-braided-bead-necklace.php

Overall I find your pictures really nice and bright. On a couple though I think some colours could come out a bit more, like for this fabulous piece: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/29132/stitched-bracelet-in-purple-with-rainbow-finish.php . You mention the beads are purple with a matte rainbow finish but that doesn't come across in the pictures, maybe it's difficult to capture though. Also, this one doesn't have the colour in the title or the tags.  Also, I think a couple of your piece would really benefit from being on a model. I know this is hard to accomplish but I feel like you have such variety in size that people would get the full effect of your pieces if you had a model for a couple of pictures, even if it's a bracelet on a wrist.

I'm always hesitant to comment on pricing since it's so personal but I feel like bead work and chain mail must take a long time to make and find that some of your prices seem a little low.

Overall that's it! Clearly you put lots of work in your store and pieces and it shows.
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:32 pm »

Hi red rock,
     Your jewelry is pretty and unique.  Your shipping and refund are clear.  I don't know if it is just me because I struggle with dark pictures, but some of your pictures seem too bright.  The detail of the piece gets lost. Some seem washed out.
     Item titles could use a little work. You do not need handmade in each one, maybe list the colors instead.  Item descriptions are good, clear and informative.
     Your item tags are good but I noticed you do not have occasion or holiday ones.  I notice this because other stores have them and I just added them to all of my items because I did not have them either. I don't know how much that matters.
     Shipping is agreeable with other stores.  Your prices do seem a little low for all the work you put in them......Kat
Delightful Suds

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:36:45 pm »

Hi Bibi,

Overall I like your sore and first impressions are good. However, I do agree with the others about a couple of things. One, your avatar and banner could use a little update. I didn't know what that picture was either until I started squinting my eyes and looking very very closely. I actually thought those were some type of lego blocks  Lips sealed. You do have a lot of beautiful pieces in your shop, so perhaps you would benefit from a different picture for your avatar and banner  Huh

Also, I agree with Kat about the lighting, most people have the opposite problem lol. It's not a huge deal, but your pictures do seem a tad overexposed and the details and colours do get lost a bit.

I do like the name of your shop. Your shop description is a bit short, could use a bit more detail.

I noticed you only have one item under "holiday occasion". I think if you added a holiday occasion to all your items, they would be more searchable. iCraft, am I wrong?

Your store policies are clear and would make me confident as a buyer. Shipping fees are good. I find your items descriptions well put and detailed enough. I think that's it. Overall, you have a nice store!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:15:57 pm »

Your first impressions
I'm another who did not have a clue what your avatar truly was from the forum sized ones.  I thought it was bars of soap.  When I entered your shop, then I could tell it was woven chain maille.  I love the look of chain maille.  Your banner and avatar don't do your work justice.  I would suggest choosing a single item instead of zooming out to fit so many.

Your name is really easy to remember: short words and easy to spell too.

Store Title & Description
Wow, your shop description is really short.  Definitely needs to be longer.  I do like that it is very personable.  You start with an introduction to yourself but it isn't your whole life story or your whole crafting resume.  It's short and sweet: sentence one is super short: "Hi, this is me" and sentence two jumps RIGHT into "this is what i make".  I also like that you call out to your target market right in the store description (clap clap!).

How to lengthen it?  Please, PLEASE explain chain maille.  It is SO interesting (and it gives you more chances to put that keyword in your store description!).  What is included in "novelty" accesories.  Give some examples.  How are novelty pieces different from other pieces?  Not as functional?  Not as everyday - something more spectacular with more oomph?  Someone for a particular target market segment (like steampunk or goth dress-up?  Those niche markets have niche keywords.)

Target Keywords
Well, you need a lot more keyword reinforcement in your store description and you will only get that by expanding it.  A lot.

Throughout your listings, I think you have chosen very strong keywords.  I don't have much to add here!

Store Policies
Policies are simple and clear.

Product Photos
Perhaps your photos are slightly overexposed or overbrightened, but I think they still look great!  I think erring on the bright side is better than being too dark.  I wouldn't stress over it.  The goods are all well positioned/staged!  But, I would say overexposure can distort colour as much as underexposure.  This item looks golden yellow to me, not green apple:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/33147/apple-green-beaded-flip-flops.php

I can tell you must take photos at different times of day because some are still a tad dark and noticeably different from the others.  (I have the same issue.)  It's just incentive to update them.  No one has mentioned the inconsistent backgrounds.  That's probably because they are just fine!  I don' t mind them at all since they all repeat so it's not like every.single.photo. is a different background.  You hvae a select few and they work well with your items.

One thing I particularly like about your photos is that you pick up the gloss on the stones and the glints on the maille.  Well done!  I'm going to guess you have mastered the macro setting!

I like that you are using many the picture spots, but I did spot some blurry ones.  I guess you should be more selective.  I like that you have a shot of the item in the packaging where possible or where there is space for that photo.

I found htis one odd to see only one earring in the main photo:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34192/earrings-mini-chandelier.php
I was wondering if it was a pendant maybe then.

Sizing is very hard to tell from the photos.  I know it is in the listing, but I thought this was a short necklace (almost choker style): https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34684/red-and-silver-chain-maille-bracelet-european-4-in-1.php because it is staged so similarly to necklaces like this: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/29376/chunky-necklace-w-green-gem-stones-and-crystals.php.  So, I agree, some sort of way to show sizing in the bracelet photos would be a plus.

Product Titles & Descriptions
For the products... see this is where I have the same trouble.  How many different ways can you title a Chain Maille Bracelet?  That's what it is!  I guess you can cycle the words around a little with colour.
Chain Maille Bracelet in Silver and Black
Black and Silver Chain Maille Bracelet
Handmade Chain Maille Bracelet
-- actually, I notice some of your bracelets specify a pattern.  Maybe use that to allow more variety in titles too:
Byzantine Chain Maille [item]
European Chain Maille [item]

I guess you need to try to mix it up as much as possible to get a variety of keyword combinations.

As for your choice of words for keywords - spot on: Chunky necklace, chain maille (item), beaded ring handstitched.  All titles are good choice of words.

I think your descriptions are prretty great, actually!  You need only some minor tweaking - mostly to get another keyword phrase in to them or to more faithfully repeat them.  Here are examples:

I like that you gave an outfit pairing suggestion in this listing:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/29376/chunky-necklace-w-green-gem-stones-and-crystals.php
The only suggestion here is, in the second paragraph, say "This chunky necklace measures...." to reinforce the "chunky necklace" keyword combo from the title and the first paragraph.

In this one: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/33512/peyote-stitched-ring-in-charcoal.php
Isn't it "tight woven" instead of weaved?  Also, you need to sneak another "beaded ring" combo in there somewhere.  Perhaps in here: "The beaded ring pictured here is size 9 (US/Canada)"

In this one: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/29185/pearl-necklace-w-shell-beads.php, nowhere do you say "pearl necklace" together in the description.  I think together they are a stronger combo and reinforce the title.

In this one: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34684/red-and-silver-chain-maille-bracelet-european-4-in-1.php, nowhere do you say "chain maille bracelet".  I see "chain maille pattern" and "this lovely creation".

Your tags are missing the metals - of the chain maille and of the clasps on other things.  Also missing is the style of clasp.  (Some people might have a strong preference for one clasp type over another.)

Lastly, I like that your listings state that they come in a box for storage or gift-giving.  Clever way to plant the idea.

Product Prices & Shipping
I think your beaded prices are fair and  your chain maille prices are low.  Must take a looooong time, no?  Even if it doesn't, it looks like it does!  (I don't know what competitors charge though.)

Shipping seems fine to me.
JaJeJems

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:10:03 pm »

Hi Bibi!

I want to say up front that your chain maille jewellery is wonderful.  Your jewellery in general appears to be very good quality and the pieces are very attractive.  Unfortunately your avatar does not suggest that you sell jewellery.  I am ashamed to say that I thought all week that you also sold soap!  (Looking closer I see bracelets now!).  I think that your name is good but you might consider changing your avatar and banner pictures.

I think that you could expand  your description to tell us more about your different products since your title indicates that you specialize in differnt things.  You also need to tell us more about you, how you started in business, where you got your name, etc.   

I think that your product descriptions are very good.  You give a lot of detail about the materials that you use, size of the pieces, suggestions for wearing them. I personally think that detail is important.  Your titles may need to be a bit more descriptive and of course getting in those key words as much as possible.  I am too new at that myself to give you any specific advice!

Photos
I think that your photos are good and I like the variety of views  that you have for your products.  My first impression was not that they were too light but rather that a lot of them are blurry.  I do not know much about photography but I had the same problem at first.  My pictures looked nice and clear on my camera and computer but blurry on icraft.  Since I am not an expert I hesitate to suggest what to do but  I think that I had to change the compression on my camera and that solved the problem.

Your store policies are clear.  Shipping information is straight forward.  Your shipping charges are reasonable.  Nice to see that they are similar ro mine.  So far my shipping costs have been pretty close to what I have asked for.

Your product prices are very reasonable and I agree that some seem low for the amount of work involved.  I would be interested to know if you use a formula to figure out what to charge.

Can't find anything else to comment on - I think your store looks great!
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:23 pm »

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

Soap!  funny....but I can see it now with the beaded ring.  The avatar was my attempt to get a few pieces of jewelry into 1 photo - back to the drawing board on that one!  I am trying to find an icon or pic that I can use in my branding, so it's on this site, my business cards, blog, faceboook...any suggestions would be wonderful.

My 2 biggest struggles since selling online are pricing and photography.  It's been difficult trying to balance affordability for customers and profiting for myself.  I guess I'm under-valuing my pieces more than I thought, and partly have that vendor's fear that no one will purchase if the prices are too high.  I will definately check other sites to compare, to at least stay competitive.    And I still need to find the spot in my home to take more consistent photos.  I'll also look into a tripod...the blurriness most likely comes from the user holding the camera.....me.

Oh, I do often wonder about the name (sometimes I think it sounds like a construction company)....so I appreciate the positve comments.
Thanks again.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:30 pm »

Hi Red Rock Designs,

I also loooove your store name.  Grin

I actually like your Avatar too. It looks like a cool logo and actually has a meaning, when you look closer. I'd change banner though... First, you are repeating same Avatar image and  your store name and a tagline, that's been shown on the page multiple times already. Store name is shown 3 times (on the left near Avatar, above Avatar in breadcrumbs and on the Banner... all within close distance to each other... that's too much! Personally, I'd use Banner to show a few jewelry pieces.

Definitely add more copy in your store, more descriptive Keywords!

niche markets have niche keywords
Fairy Cardmaker, you are so right!

I'll provide a few keyword suggestions for you later tonight,
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:19:46 am by iCraft Admin »
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:11 am »

Store name is shown 3 times (on the left near Avatar, above Avatar in breadcrumbs and on the Banner... all within close distance to each other... that's too much!

Really?  I was aiming for logo/branding consistency between banner and avatar too.  Maybe I will keep the avatar and change the banner since so many didn't like it?
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:43:43 am »

Avatar & Banner consistency could be achieved through color and style...
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 01:07:21 pm »

Is there a free banner making site you can suggest?  My new laptop has limited Office programs.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »

Hi Red Rock Designs,

I don't know about external sites, especially that offer free banners... Anything free probably won't provide you with the quality that you need. Personally, I think you shouldn't stress over Banners too much. What you have there is fine.

There are 2 people on our site that offer Banner Creation.

Silly Cat  (our own designer Lisa)
swiekysiggies  (she hasn't been checking her store in a while now, but you can always email her and check if she is still doing banners.)
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 04:11:48 pm »

Hi, I'm trying to add a link of 1 item to another listing...necklace and bracelet listed separately. But the link doesn't show up when I view the listing.

Is there another way to coordinate or link 2 items together?
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:04 am »

Hi Bibi,
No, there is no way to connect matching items right now. What you've done by placing all matching items into "Matching Sets" Collection is probably the best you can do right now.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:47 am »

Hi Delightful Suds,

Yes, specifying Holidays and Special Occasions will make your items more findable on iCraft, as they will appear in more specialized lists and not only in product categories.
Pages: [1] 2  All  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 5 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "Red Rock Designs"
Jump to:  
Click