Happy New Year!
Make your own special occasion garland following this easy DIY project courtesy of Kaboose. All you need is felt, string, glue and some glitter. We highly recommend this project for kids :).
Here are the instructions for making the felt garland:
What you'll need:
- Felt in various colors
- Felt glue
- Glitter glue
- 2- 48" (each) long pieces of white yarn
How to make it:
- Cut felt into 8" x 2.5" rectangles. You will need a total of eleven rectangles.
- Lay one of the pieces of yarn on the work surface. Find the center of the yarn and mark with a pencil.
- Fold a piece of felt lengthwise, sandwiching it over the center of the piece of yarn. Use a generous amount of felt glue to secure the felt closed.
- Move about 1" to the left of that felt piece, and repeat step 3 above. For the next one, move 1" to the right of the first felt rectangle. Repeat again on the left and right. The object is to have the center felt in the middle of the yarn.
- Repeat the process above for the second piece of yarn, this time your fourth piece of felt should be in the center of the yarn. This will represent the letter "Y" in YEAR. Be sure to leave an extra couple of inches to the left of "Y" so that the word "NEW" appears as a separate word.
- Once all your felt pieces are in place, use glitter glue to write the letters on the felt.
- Gently press sequins into the glitter glue, covering the entire letter.
- Allow everything to dry for several hours before hanging.
- You can simplify this project by eliminating the sequin step and just applying glitter glue.
- Another option for the letters is to cut them out of felt of contrasting colors, or use a patterned fabric, and then glue them to the felt flags.
- Felt is fairly inexpensive and an ideal crafting medium for kids. Stock up each time you go to the store and you will always have plenty on hand for impromptu projects.
Happy New Year!
Project courtesy of Kaboose.