Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  Please take a peak
Pages: [1]
Author

Please take a peak

neatTreats

« on: July 26, 2009, 08:29:49 pm »

I'm going to take advantage of this and ask if you'd please take a look at my store with a critical eye.  I'm still in the process of creating my own line of  original designs and am actually waiting for some supplies to arrive, so this is a work in progress.  

I won't be offended in the slightest, so please don't hold back on your suggestions.  I'm hoping when I add my designs I'll start and see some sales.  I'm certainly getting the views, just no sales.  I also have the same store on Etsy.

Thanks a million.

Pam
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:02:16 pm »

I tried starting critques rolling with another thread, but not any biters.  Here's my critique for you.

* Banner
Like it - clear, bold.  I like how the S comes down through the bottom border for a bit of pizzaz.

Fits the banner.  Reinforces memory on the store if you use it on biz cards.

* Announcement
Way too long!  This part:
"neatTreats ~PRODUCTS~
Soap in as many unique styles as I can create"
is redundant.  You already said you make soap in the first sentence.

Shipping and refunds and exchanges are the two things iCraft has for policies.  If you put it there instead of in the shop announcement, it will appear as part of each listing's detail.

So, take out that part and maybe add a line about your process.  I don't know much about soap, but isn't there some hot method and some cold compress method?

* Pictures
Pretty good.  I like the wood deck background better than the towel.  It's more neutral (and less likely to show fuzzies!).

Not enough angles.  Use more shots.  I'd like to see at least 2 on every bar - one to show the design and one to show the thickness.  The design could be on a 2 cm sliver for all I know!

* Inventory
Well, you are working on it.  I like how the colours are all very summery right now.

* Item Descriptions
Decent.  Short but nice.  I like how you describe how using the soap should feel.

* Overall Shop
Looks like you are off to a good start.  Need a little tweaking though!

Hope that helps!
Unique Creations 2 C

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:28:38 pm »

Pam,
Here is my impression of your store. I included suggestions and explanations.  Hope you can benefit from them and like them.
Banner /Avatar
I agree your banner/avatar is simple and memorable for a biz card, but I don’t know what you are or what you are selling?  The name of your store is interesting, but what is neat treats??? Dog treats? Candy store? Luxury store/high-end store?  Somewhere in your banner and avatar you should include something that represent or explain what you are selling?  Take advantage of this visual marketing.  Some people don’t like to work their brains very often (lol) .  Incorporate a product photo, bath tub, towel (you get the idea) or add a phrase (custom made natural bath products), you will probably come up with a better phrase because of your knowledge and expertise of your products.  I like the colour combination it is very eye-catching, just add a little more to sustain a potential customer’s attention.
Profile and Introduction
Your first line is good, but try to follow it with more vivid descriptions. Add the various scents within your first paragraph because this is strong marketing strategy for you to gain interest.  Tap into areas of feeling of using the product, the benefits – natural ingredients, for all types of skin, joy of bathing, in home spa experience, etc.  And who would like these sensations-women, babies, children.  Add something like it makes a great gift for baby showers, just because, birthday, etc.  (Emphasize that you might not like, but someone you know will).  Omit the shipping statement.  It is a double edge sword-some people like to know the additional cost and some people see it as a turn off.  Only state FREE SHIPPING in your profile when you do provide it.  I like the customer satisfaction input – it demonstrate customer care and compassion.   Caution:  use this wisely, given that some products cannot be returned, who is responsible for the return shipping cost, and packaging of return products-some people do not take care in packaging – returned damage products depreciate in value.  I personally prefer the no return policy unless it is for a loyal customer that you have a good seller/customer relationship.  Also a good valuable resource is to have icraft admin assist you with your profile- they can condense it or add valuable suggestions.   If you provide them a list of statements you want to convene to your potential customers.  Profile sections are always difficult for me too – Who wants to know that?  Isn’t that obvious? Nothing to personal on my profiles!!   If you do use icraft admin – just let them know what is comfortable for you, and the strong benefits of your products.  Remember for you – try buzz (popular) keywords ---natural ingredients, non allergic, etc. that relates to your industry.  Emphasize custom orders are welcomed and that you should also include that statement in your individual product descriptions.
For the individual product sections, use important tags, such as bath, cleanser, bath time, in home spa experience, natural ingredients, etc.  These are very important because doing a search for bath products; I don’t think your Neat Treats name would be listed.  Google is a blind search, so make sure you use general, simple words for your products so you have a chance to be seen.   Add at least one dimensional photo to your products – shows height, width, etc.  It is good that you include the weight of your products.  As a customer, it is disappointing when you receive a product that is smaller than you expected.
Overall your store was very nice to look at, so give other people a chance to see it. (lol)
I am sorry to be so chatty.  I didn’t know my brain would explode with all these comments. (lol) :oops:
Good luck,
Connie
neatTreats

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my store.  So much good information - so much to do!  

Emily at Polkadot Pixels did my banner and avatar, and my business cards do have neatTreats then handmade soap.  I'm not sure what to do  with the banner.  I love both your suggestions, and Connie, I appreciate your comment about not knowing what neatTreats is at first glance.  It did occur to me as an afterthought that it doesn't address the main product.  I tried to address that in the first sentence where I identify the shop as selling handmade soap.  I like the banner so much that I'm not sure how we could incorporate  handmade soap in there without diminishing the effect.  I'll  talk to Emily when she returns next week and get her input.  I know, even if I wanted to, I can't alter the name on Etsy - as you know, once you select it you live with it!  I may end up paying the price for that.  

I will definitely be revamping the tags.  Your suggestions were fantastic and I'll be incorporating them.  Also I'm going to revisit my profile.  I followed a suggestion from Etsy in setting that up but will now speak to the issue of spa quality, especially since I'm about to add a shea butter bar with a goat's milk topping.  I love the suggestion of identifying the buyer and speaking directly to her.  I will adjust the shipping as you both suggested.  Quite honestly I find that a double-edge sword and a bone of contention in online selling.

I'm also going to change the exchange policy.  I think you're right, Connie, that could just open to the door to a real hornet's nest.  As well I'm going to add pictures showing the dimensions.

Thanks so much to both of you for the excellent feedback.  I clearly have my work cut out for me, but this is definitely worth doing.

Thanks again.  

Pam
Unique Creations 2 C

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:00 pm »

Pam,

You're welcome.  If I think of anything else regarding your store, I'll be sure to share it with you.

Connie Smiley
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:06:43 pm »

Hi Pam,

Your soaps are really pretty.  I do agree with Ensorcelled Minds that I would like to see your soaps from different angles.  The disadvantage to selling on-line is that potential buyers can't pick up, hold, feel, smell, touch the product.  So your photos need to help us with that.  I'd like to see more close up images of your products, as well a different angles.

When you list your soaps, you are only indicating the ounces.  It would be really helpful if you also included metric measurements.  I have no idea how much soap 2 ounces is.  But I do understand 100 or 150 g.  If you list both, you increase your reach.  

When I look at B&B products on-line, I always read the seller's bio (and I don't do this for sellers of other types of items).  I'm looking for information about how long they have been making soap.  I want to feel the seller is credible, as this is a product that will be used on my skin.  You don't give your background as a soap maker at all.  I have no idea how you learnt to make soap or how long you have been making or selling soaps.  So you are not giving me reason to have confidence in you as a soap maker.  I have no idea if you know what you are doing.  This would prevent me from shopping with you.  

The next part is something I wrote for in another critique, but I think it still applies here, so I'm including it.  

Photos:

Photos are the number one most important thing for selling on-line. You have only a few seconds to grab someone's attention, so you need a good, compelling photo to do so. The photo either grabs the potential buyer or it doesn't. If the photo does grab the person's attention, they may click on the photo and take a closer look at the item. If the photo doesn't grab them, they don't click, they won't see your item and they certainly won't have the opportunity to buy your item.

In general:

Browse through other shops on the web (here, on etsy, artfire and independant websites). Look at soap shops, but shops that sell other things too. Find items that you are drawn to. Then check out that item carefully to decide if you would actually buy it or not. Is there enough information for you to confidently buy the item? Is there anything in the item description, price or shop policies/info that is missing or that turns you off? If you would be willing to buy that item, what is it that makes you feel you could go ahead and buy? Do the photos make you feel like you were holding the item? Is the description funny, does it tell a story that makes you fall in love with the item, does it engage your senses (smell, sound, touch), etc.?

What prevents you from buying? When you know that, make sure you avoid doing the same thing.

What convinces you to buy? When you know that, apply it to your shop.

I hope this may be helpful for you.  We certainly need to learn many different things to sell on-line, don't we?

Julie
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  Please take a peak
Jump to:  
Click