Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Local Finds & Upcoming Shows  >  Looking for Wholesale Silver Suppliers
Pages: [1]
Author

Looking for Wholesale Silver Suppliers

Beajoux

« on: February 11, 2009, 01:27:58 pm »

I'd like to start working with wire and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good silver supplier, both for sterling and fine silver (I've got a torch and I'm dying to try it out!).

Thanks!
Ainse
beadznthingz

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:33:46 am »

Hi Ainse,

Torching is fun! I have found both sterling silver and fine silver on:

www.beaducation.com and www.beadfx.com

I love the Beaducation site and it is definitely worth checking out, but please note that their shipping costs to Canada are a bit high. However, their selection and service is great! I have only been using my torch for a few months, but I think it is safe to say that I am addicted to it.

Love your jewelry and can't wait to see what you'll be creating once you get that torch going. Cheesy

Janice
Beajoux

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Janice!

I have often shopped at Beadfx, but I didn't know they carried fine silver. It seems weird they charge by the inch! I think for someone starting out, it may prove tricky to figure out how many inches of silver I'd need.

Beaducation looks great, but you're right, the shipping is very expensive. I looked at ordering a fire brick ($9) and the shipping would be $23.  :shock:

I appreciate your help. Your jewellery is very beautiful!

Ainse
Decadence2

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:19 pm »

I usually order all my metal from either rio grande or santa fe jewelry supply in the USA, they charge by the ounce which is the usual way to charge.

You can find out how beadfx charges stack up against rio grande by putting in the quantity of sterling wire for example and seeing how many feet are in an ounce...I bet beadfx will become very pricy that way (I once did the math in a store that sold by the foot and one ounce of wire was going to cost me $50! while the same through rio grande was just above $20 an ounce)...
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:34:48 pm »

Beadfx is pretty expensive for wire, but if you only want a few feet to try it out, it's not a bad place to get it.  

If you want a better price but still in Canada, you can try The Ring Lord.  They are in Saskatoon.  They carry both fine and sterling, but not all in all gauges.  Their measurements are a little different than most.  Their ounce in a little lighter and for the heavier gauges they use SWG and only use AWG for 20 gauge and finer.  Most places use AWG for all gauges.  I ordered some fine silver wire from them a few weeks ago because they were less expensive than the US sites that use the spot price that day (but this isn't always the case).  And because they are in Canada, the shipping is quite reasonable.

When I'm buying lots of wire, I usually use monsterslayer in the US.  They ship quickly, (I always get my stuff within a week) and like Rio, Thunderbird and Santa Fe their price changes each day with the spot price of metals.  However, shipping is usually at least $25, so when I order from them, I make a big order so that it's worth it.

Oh, and FYI, the price of silver is higher right now than it has been in months.  The spot price of sterling has been over $16 since last week.  That means the price of wire will be higher than that.  
Good luck.
Decadence2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:45:01 am »

Beaducation looks great, but you're right, the shipping is very expensive. I looked at ordering a fire brick ($9) and the shipping would be $23.  

>>>

I only order bulky things in a large order...I try to order just quarterly (especially from rio grande cause I usually ship it through UPS from them) and order my bulky items then cause it is more cost efficient...

Im just waiting to hear back about a couple wholesale opportunities before I make this years last big order...

~brenda
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Local Finds & Upcoming Shows  >  Looking for Wholesale Silver Suppliers
Jump to:  
Click