Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  do timeless trends exist?
Pages: [1]
Author

do timeless trends exist?

Lyra P iCraft Writer

« on: October 05, 2008, 01:14:22 pm »

some friends and i were talking about trends and how sometimes we keep wearing things even after the so-called trend passes... my friend still likes wearing aviator sunglasses even though the trend is clearly more towards an old school rayban style, for example.

my other friend still likes ballet flats, even though they aren't the big thing anymore... do you have favourites that you stick to?  what else comes to mind?

also, if trends hang around long enough is that what makes them 'classic'? like trench coats, which i love... are there any trends going on right now that you think will always look good/stylish?

anyway, i'd appreciate your feedback!!
TheHookery

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:43:25 pm »

Hi Lyra, Well I LOVE the 80's!! as a Teen I always wore Bright bold
colors and loved the Fun Hair Bobbles!! Now in my mid 30's I still wear
those Bobbles (small disco balls) in my hair! Some pple can just pull off those long forgotten trends and and still make them look Great.

I think a trend that sticks, is due to people out there who just loved "IT"
(aviators - trech coat or disco hair bobbles) so much that it just becomes part of them!
Maple Leaf

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:30:28 am »

I personally love turtlenecks, especially black turtlenecks. Not sure if they belong to any trend or if they are considered “classic”.
Craft Boutique

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:02 am »

I had to google "Bobbles (small disco balls)". I had no idea what they are. Interesting... just learned something new.  :oops:
JillsTreasureChest

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:31:24 am »

I like black turtlenecks, too, although with the coming of hot flashes, I no longer wear them, or only if it's really cold.  I live in Mississippi, so that doesn't happen that often.  I love broomstick skirts, and continue to wear them.  I have seen that shorter versions of the broomstick skirts are in style, and the longer ones are coming back!  Hurray!!
Weezi

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:35 pm »

Thank goodness for some timeless trends!...the basics keep us grounded and sometimes we need that especially when fashion goes "array" for example low rise jeans.EEEK!

Standards like the little black dress or turtlenecks ( i agree) or cardigans are the timeless pieces that you can use with new trends to update you look  as well.

Straight leg , dark denim jeans, Chuck Taylor's, white blouses, pearls, hoop earrings, argyle sweaters,straight skirts ( hemlines do vary) are all timeless I think.
That is my 2 cents worth.Great discussion..thanx!
Lisa

www.weezi.com
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:57 am »

example low rise jeans.EEEK!
... I'm with Weezi

I especially hate the return of the skinny jean.  Yes, in the 80's, I pinned my jeans around my ankles and hid the pins with slouch socks.  Today's skinny jean is the same look.  Boy, was it unflatterling to my skinny, slightly bowed legs!  The straight jean (whch I discovered watching what-not-to-wear) is flattering to ALL figures.  I will always wear it now.

Business attire is pretty classic.  Trends impact it only marginally.  Like, blazers had big shoulder pads in the 80's, but it's still a classic basic blazer.  For men, the style is pretty limited: single breasted, double breasted or fitted jacket; cuffed pants or no cuff; the end (we won't discuss pleats!).  For women, the length ofthe skirt is considered a classic look - always no more than 2 inches above the knee.  The younger people in my office wear them 2 inches below the butt.  I see that look ALL OVER the posters at trendy clothing stores, but I tell them: the office is a professional place, not a trendy place.  Dress professionally, which is classically conservative.

Non-professional classics?  The trench for sure!  The straight-leg.  It might not have been the "in" thing at all times, but they are always available at retail shops all the time.  Pencil skirts - always in - classic lines on that one.  Empire waists - on dresses and shirts.  Because it is flattering to all figures, it will be a classic.

I don't think arglye is a classic.  I think it's come and gone with the times.  In the 90's grunge movement, arglye was for preppies and geeks.

I will always wear a fitted shirt, even though the 80's shapeless sweater is back in.  EW.  I refuse to provide structure for something I am buying.  The structure should already be in it because I'm paying for it!

I don't know anything about acccessories.  I don't understand them or how to use them and hence I don't own any.  So, I can't say anything about the sunglasses, or bobbles, or jewellery styles.

Hmmm... I might be confusing "classic" styles with "wardrobe essentials"?  The basic building blocks everyone needs in their closet?  Or... are those two things really the same thing?  Interesting topic anyhow...  Smiley
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:51 am »

I have retired from my professional career so I don't invest much in my wardrobe anymore. Over the years, annually I bought at least one high quality fitted suit (dark colour). I've a few that I can pull out of the closet and they still look good (my opinion) in a business setting. They were "updated" through blouses, shoes, accessories.

Chanel is CLASSIC. I remember trying on a Chanel blouse about 20 years ago. I thought it was $150... NOT... At the till I learned it was $1500. Definitely out of my snack bracket! However, I always tried to buy  clean simple lines that were" Chanelesque".

A black fitted skirt is classic / ageless and should be the foundation of every professional wardrobe.

Classic is defined by your age group too... Being slightly over 50 I have now decided
"classic" is boring. I rather like dressing young, funky, and even slightly on the edge so. I often look like someone I would "not hire"... which pleases me to no end. Gawwwwd help me if I ever have to apply for a real job. Being an "artisan" gives us some free license to be "against the grain"... geez I better go sew some pillows or I truly will have to get suited up.

My two cents worth.
Christine
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  do timeless trends exist?
Jump to:  
Click