Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 6 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "Silver Workshop"
Pages: [1]
Author

Day 6 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "Silver Workshop"

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: October 01, 2012, 01:24:26 am »

Today's assignment is to review next store from buyers' perspective.
This time it will be:   

Silver Workshop

Here is what we want to evaluate:
(I am making this list of questions generic, so we could re-use them on all stores):
  • Your first impressions
  • Store Title & Description.
    Is it clear why these products are special and why you'd want to buy them? Is there enough copy to describe variety of products in this store?
  • Target Keywords.
    Are the keywords currently used in the copy accurately describe all items? What keywords you'd use to describe products in this store?
  • Store Policies.
    Do you have any issues with any of the stores policies? Is it clear if you can return products to the seller? 
  • Product Photos.
    Are they good quality photos? Can you see what you are buying in a detail?
  • Product Titles & Descriptions.
    Are all Product Titles unique? Is there enough copy describing each product? Do you understand why those products are special? What method or technique did the seller use to make them? Who most likely would appreciate them and why? What occasion are they for?
  • Product Prices & Shipping.
    Are they too high? too low?
  • Any other comments you have

Please post your comments below. We'll review all comments and summarize what needs to be done at the end of the day. Tomorrow we'll take a look at the next store in the list and so on, until we review all six stores.
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:46:03 am »

Hi Silver Workshop,    you have nice silver jewelry. 
 I had a hard time figuring out what your avatar is.  Maybe another piece of jewelry would work better.  Your banner needs some jewelry on it, something to spice it up.  I do like the name of your shop.
    Your store description is too short- I want to know more. What is silver metal clay that you fell in love with?  Who are you?
     The shipping and return policies are good and clear.
    Your photos are good and your item descriptions are good.  I like how you explain the process of making your item.
     Your tags are good but have more holiday and occasion tags, more is better.
     The shipping seems a little high, unless you are insuring your item?.....................Kat

JaJeJems

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:59:53 am »

Good morning silver Workshop!  What beautiful jewellery!  Your work is sooooo nice.  I also found your avatar a bit hard to see, hard to identify it as a piece of your lovely work!  The title on your banner is nice  but maybe you could add at least one of your pieces. 

Your description needs to be expanded a lot.  I know that is hard and someone said mine sounded like an essay (lol) but customers need to know a lot more.  You could expand on what silver clay is and what about the lovely beads that you use in your pieces, explain why you oxidize some pieces.
What is oxidizing??  i actually know but not everyone would. Think of it this way, if you had a storefront you would be there interacting with your customers.  You need to do the same here.

I really like your shipping policy as it is clear what customers can expect in terms of delivery times.  Just rewrote mine and I wish I had read yours first!  I thought that your shipping was a bit high but it looks like you are using expedited mail for US and Canada.  Maybe you should say this in your general comments. Maybe customers would be willing to wait longer for a lower rate. 

Your photos are excellent and you give a good variety of views.  Some don't show a view of the whole necklace which would be good and I don' think you have shown the handmade clasps - I may have just missed those.

Your descriptions need to be expanded.  I am not going to say anything about keywords as I am not an expert in that area for sure! I like what you have said but it is not just enough.  You mentioned a gift box in one items.  You need to say that for all. That is a nice value added thing especially with jewellery.   I also don't think that is really clear that you will make custom items.  I see a button to choose custom items but you should tell me that more clearly in the item description.  Ae you going to polish the items shown or are you making me one that is polished not brushed?

Product prices are reasonable for silver jewellery.

Overall I like your store and your jewellery.  You don't have a large selection considering how long you have had your store. But the quality shows through!
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:50:11 am »

JaJeJems.  I love your new banner!!!!!!!!!!!!............Kat
JaJeJems

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47:42 am »

Thanks Kat!  it was supposed to be temporary but Iike it too.  Like your name change, I still like your avatar because I know exactly where to find you and I think that is the whole point of the avatar - just my thoughts! also my memory is getting bad for names so I remember pictures better.
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:13 pm »

Hi Silver Workshop,
My first impression is that you store looks very clean and crisp…perhaps that’s because most of the jewelry is silver with a white background.  But I find this a good thing, it shows how shiny your silver pieces are.  And the name is great, easy to remember, and clear about what the products are.  I too did not really know what your avatar was, I thought earrings from a side angled view. Perhaps a piece like the acorn pendant or flowered ring would show up best? But keeping it as a silver piece would definitely let people know what your shop makes.  I like the banner. It’s simple and there’s a little punch of color. But last week I learned showcasing your product can’t be overdone…so my suggestion would be to include 1 or 2 pieces of silver jewelry on the sides of the name…instead of the silvery bells/flowers in the background.

Also learned, descriptions need to connect you with customers.  Although I changed my description, I think it’s too long now!  So I guess it’s your preference how much personal info you want to share with the world.  Your current description does need to include more. What did you sculpt in small scale before? What is silver metal clay?  How is it different from other jewelry clay? Do you bake it, use a kiln? What is the process for getting the shapes you make?  What’s the difference between high shine and just shine?  Do you sell your jewelry anywhere else?

Shipping is okay since you do include tracking and insurance. Return policy is clear. Prices of the pieces are reasonable.

Descriptions / copy  Wink I need to work on myself. But yours do seem a bit short. You haven’t included the weight of the pieces or whether they’re hollow or solid.  Some of the pendants look heavy, like the blue teardrop pendant.  The item: “Acorn pendant with obsidian”…what is obsidian?  The titles could use a little tweaking, but I know, how many times can you say Silver pendant?  I need help with this as well.

I agree with JaJeJems, if you’ve handmade the clasp, you should include photos of them too, and put them in the descriptions.  JaJeJems also mentioned your custom orders, I agree, you should indicate what’s included with the custom order, ie) pendant, chain and clasp.  Do customers have the option of choosing a different clasp or chain? Are the pendants available in a bigger size or with colour added?  Adding colour and increasing size will of course cost more, but it would be nice to know if these options are available. 

Your photos are excellent, very clear with a variety of views.  Overall I think your store is really great, and your pieces are beautiful. 
Delightful Suds

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:14:42 pm »

Hello,
I do love the name of your shop! You photos are absolutely beautiful!! I don't think you need any work in that area at all  Wink

First impressions are that your store is clean and crisp, but a little too "white". There is no colour of any interesting image on your banner to keep me visually interested. Then when I scroll down, I am more impressed because of the quality of your photos. But I do think you should work on making a bit more of a statement with you banner. You have some gorgeous coloured red and green jewellery in your shop, maybe use those colours in the banner? I also thought your avatar was a pair of silver earrings. However, I still kind of like it.

It seems that you don't have quite enough items in your shop. I definitely recommend adding more. It looks like you've been on this site for quite a while, but have not had that many page views. I'm guessing it's because of the lack of "copy"? Your descriptions seem quite short, same with your store introduction. I think you should add more there and explain how your items are special to make me want to buy them. You do have beautiful jewellery pieces, and for me the prices are just a bit high, but maybe if you explained a little bit what goes into making them, that would make it understandable.

Your shipping costs are perfectly reasonable to me (unless you already changed them after the comments above). Your policies are clear.

The only thing, that rabbit necklace confuses me a bit because in the picture it looks like 2 necklaces? But in the description it seems like it's only one. Maybe not include a picture with 2 of them?

That's all from me. Overall, beautiful stuff you have!
Delightful Suds

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:25 pm »

Oh and JaJeJems, I also love your new banner  Grin
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 05:29:35 pm »

I like your banner too, JaJeJems! Simple close up of your product looks perfect for your store.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »

I agree with others, Silver Workshop - it's not clear what's on your Avatar. I'd definitely choose a different product shot for the Avatar! Something that's easily recognizable on a small image.

You probably already know that I am going to say - You need a lot more copy in your store description!   Cry
Search engines rely on keyword-rich copy to determine what each page is about. Pages thin on content generally rank lower and don't bring much traffic.

Please tell us about your wonderful jewelry, your jewelry making techniques, tell us more about you and your passions, where you get inspiration. Store description has to grab users' attention, its a marketing copy that pulls users further into your store and guides them to your product pages. It's your place to shine!  Grin
Silver Workshop

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:36 pm »

Beautiful banner JaJeJems!! That packs a punch, I love it!

Thanks for all your comments, lots of food for thought. I'll take a day or two to digest this and start making changes. It's great to hear all of this because some if it, I never would have thought!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »

Your first impressions
My first impression was that I LOVE your banner.  I love that the little silver bells echo some of the design work on the pieces, like this one:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34564/flower-necklace-sterling-silver-and-black-jewellery.php

The title in the centre is the perfect pop of colour - my eye went straight to it.  The frame for the title looks like this piece:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34825/silver-and-leather-bracelet-adjustable.php

Also I like that the shop is generally monochromatic with only spots of colour.  I think it looks crisp, clean and classy.

I did notice that the store description is incredibly brief.  More on that next.

I like your avatar.  I didn't know what it was either, but I knew it was silver and some sort of accessory.  I think that says enough.  (I thought it was a pair of bobby pins with a silver head in some shape that I would have to click to see more.  Sometimes curiousity is a good teaser!)

Store Title & Description
LIke everyone else, I found it super super short.  I clicked the link to "see more" and then realized I clicked on your policies.  I thought "wha?  What just happened?  <go back> Oh... there is no more."

I don't know what silver metal clay is either.  So... you SCULPTED your focal points?  These aren't findings or commercial pieces?.  You actually make your own inputs?  That's different and you need to talk it up!  Big time!

If you really want to change your banner (even though I quite like and would love something like that for myself!!), you could show a picture of your hands in sculpting action.  I think that would really drive it home.  (Get a tripod and set the timer or set it on continuous shots for a a mintue or so.)

Target Keywords
You have no prime keywords in your store description.  You have "jewelry" and that's it: a very generic, competitive term.  Your tag line has the keywords: Handmade Sterling Silver Jewelry, and the pieces: necklace, braclet and so forth.  Your store description, however, does *nothing* to reinforce that.

For example: You say "jewelry-making and using silver".  You need to rearrange that to "silver jewelry making" so that "silver jewelry shows together.  Then you need to work in "sterling silver [item]" more in there.  Talk about what you like.  What are your favourite or most challenging pieces to create?  What was the first piece of silver jewelry you ever made?  "The first piece I ever completed was a silver [or sterling silver if it was] ____brooch?____, ____necklace?____, ____ring?____ and I was hooked!" Etc.

Gush your passion.  We like that.  In fact, I would say more so from you.  The monochromatic grey tones of your shop may seem still and quiet or even oppresive and drab to some (- not me, I think it's classic).  I think your personality is needed to bring the warmth and liveliness to the store.

Store Policies
Your shipping policies have the bases covered nicely.  (You need to put an "s" on "Canadian destinations").  Your return policy is very lenient giving 30 days from notification.

One point of clarity: Some brokerage fees may apply to non-Canadian destinations.
--- who's is paying it though?  You pay it free and clear?  You pay it and I have to reimburse?  I pay it on pickup?

Product Photos
I like 'em.  A lot.  Are you taking photography as an elective or something?  Your photos are really good.  The reflection in the second photo in this one is incredible: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34562/flower-band-ring-sterling-silver-size-6-5.php and its first photo with the ring on edge creates so much depth.

The only thing I have to say about them is that there are not enough.  Like others suggeted, use a shot of the whole object.  Also use a shot of the clasps.  If, after all the product shots, you still have photo space left, take a shot of the item in its packaging.  A box or baggie?

Product Titles & Descriptions
I think your titles are good.  Enough variety in the keywords.  As I have said before, I'm not a fan of the first line of the description being an exact, or near exact duplicate of the title as with these two listings:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34564/flower-necklace-sterling-silver-and-black-jewellery.php and
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34654/olive-green-earrings-chunky-sterling-silver-and-green-earrings.php
It could be that you are changing them as you have seen similar feedback for other shops, since not all of the listings are like this.

Descriptions are short.  Not enough room to fit in and reinforce keywords.
Here's an example:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34562/flower-band-ring-sterling-silver-size-6-5.php
Are those handsculpted flowers? Are ring sizes globally universal or is that a North America size, or even a Canadian size?
Do you engrave your name or insignia or a serial number or anything on the inside of the band?

In this one:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34653/silver-quartz-pendant-sterling-and-teardrop-blue-chalcedony.php
Did you hand-sculpt the setting?  Did you find it in an antique store?  Did you find something and alter it to suit the piece?

In this one:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34654/olive-green-earrings-chunky-sterling-silver-and-green-earrings.php
... you say: "They are glazed porcelain so each is slightly different in their markings. They'll come packaged in a box with clear earrings stoppers to make sure they stay securely in your ears ... "

You have a lot of "They" going on.  What, exactly, are glazed porcelain?  Try this: "The beads on these sterling silver earrings are glazed porecelain.  Your beaded earrings will come packaged in a box with clear stoppers for the silver earring hooks to make sure they stay securely in your ears...."  Be specific (and sneak in a keyword when you can!)

I agree with others that the approximate weight of the piece is important (hollow or solid makes a difference too).  You should include it in the descriptions.  Even if it is as simple as "light-weight" versus not.

I'm wondering if "oxidized" or "oxidized metal" or "oxidized silver" should be in your item tags where applicable, since you have the room.

Product Prices & Shipping
The shipping did seem high at first blush but with the description of tracking and insurance in there it's okay now.  the product prices seem fair to me with the fine skills that must be required for such tiny sculpting!

You need more stuff too.  Especially with lovely photos like that!  More more more!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:55 am »

Great feedback everyone! I think the main theme of the feedback for Silver Workshop - tell us more!  Wink
You need more descriptive copy on your store and your product pages.
Silver Workshop

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 07:21:59 am »

Wow, thanks for all the information Fairy Cardmaker! I really appreciate all the time you and others have taken to go through my store and products and point out what I need to work on. I'll work on all that tonight when I get home!
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 6 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "Silver Workshop"
Jump to:  
Click