Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 3 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "JaJeJems"
Pages: [1]
Author

Day 3 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "JaJeJems"

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: September 26, 2012, 02:46:39 am »

Today's assignment is to review next store from buyers' perspective.
This time it will be:    

JaJeJems

Here is what we want to evaluate:
(I am making this list of questions generic, so we could re-use them on all stores):
  • Your first impressions
  • Store Title & Description.
    Is it clear why these products are special and why you'd want to buy them? Is there enough copy to describe variety of products in this store?
  • Target Keywords.
    Are the keywords currently used in the copy accurately describe all items? What keywords you'd use to describe products in this store?
  • Store Policies.
    Do you have any issues with any of the stores policies? Is it clear if you can return products to the seller?  
  • Product Photos.
    Are they good quality photos? Can you see what you are buying in a detail?
  • Product Titles & Descriptions.
    Are all Product Titles unique? Is there enough copy describing each product? Do you understand why those products are special? What method or technique did the seller use to make them? Who most likely would appreciate them and why? What occasion are they for?
  • Product Prices & Shipping.
    Are they too high? too low?
  • Any other comments you have

Please post your comments below. We'll review all comments and summarize what needs to be done at the end of the day. Tomorrow we'll take a look at the next store in the list and so on, until we review all six stores.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:43:05 am by iCraft Admin »
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:39:43 am »

Your item descriptions are very detailed and informative. Your item titles are varied and descriptive.  But where is your banner? The missing banner is something I noticed right away. It tells the theme of your store and helps to remember your store too. The return policy could be clearer with a little more detail. I notice there is no shipping policy.  It would be good to know how long before you ship and how you package your product.  Shipping seem a little high compared to other stores.  Pictures are of a varity to be interesting, some with props like the birch bark.
I love how you give your items names. Makes me want to look....................Kat    I see your sales are low like mine and I hope both of us get good information to correct this!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:00:56 pm by iCraft Admin »
Delightful Suds

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:12:17 pm »

Hello,
For first impressions, I love the avatar, that "J" is just beautiful. But, I agree that you need to add a nice catchy banner to catch more attention when people first stop by. It looks a little bland without it. Your title is good and description is pretty thorough of how this company came about. I'm just left wondering though, are all your pieces recycled somehow? You sort of mention that at the start, but I'm not clear on whether that's just how it started or if your goal is to use recycled materials for all your pieces. Some people might want clarification on that.

I just want to also comment on your store name. I hate to criticize this part because I know how hard it is to come up with a name! However, I'm not sure I like the sound of it when I say it out loud, it seems sort of "harsh". Like maybe there are too many J's in there? I get how you came up with it and  it makes sense, just something to think about though...

Your prices seems competitive and shipping costs are low (especially because I know what it costs to ship!!). Your policies seem clear enough to me.

I love how some of your photos are creative (like the one on the green leaves or the ones on the piece of wood). Some of them could use a bit more lighting, less shadows and the contrast sharpened. You can easily find a software that lets you touch up photos in which you can really improve them without taking new photos. I think the only thing I don't really like is the white turtleneck sweater that I keep seeing, I feel like it takes away from the jewellery pieces. For lack of a better word, it makes them look kind of "granny"  Undecided

To me personally (maybe it's because I make jewellery too), you don't have to tell me what to wear something with because I like to decide for myself. But perhaps some people need that suggestion....

In the descriptions you mention the measurements which is very good!

Overall, nice shop that just needs a bit of tweaking  Grin

Silver Workshop

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:32:04 pm »

Hello JaJeJems!

I've been checking out your lovely items. I agree with Kat's comments on the banner and shipping policy.

You have lovely descriptions, I wish I could describe things so well. One thing I noticed is that some of your titles could be more descriptive. For example, your Green Between choker doesn't mention the purple in the description. This colour combination is very strong and someone might be looking for a purple and green choker but might not find yours. I noticed the colours are also not in your tags.  When I do my titles and tags, I try to think of how someone might find my piece. I think that helps with searches but I'm not 100% sure. Also, if I look at the Pickin' Wildberries bracelet,  you might want to be more specific about the different colours in the bracelet, maybe you have some teal in there, turquoise and purple too (I just noticed you got purple in the tags but not in the description, this might be important but again, I'm not 100% sure).

I also have to say I love the lampwork pieces. What I love about lampwork beads is that they're shiny, colourful like candy and I almost feel like eating them. It would be nice if that could be conveyed through the pictures (the shiny, colourful part, hehe!). Your pictures are clear but I find them a little dark. Your pieces are so colourful, that seems to be a big part of your style and it should be conveyed through the pictures. I really like this picture though, it's got a nice balance of white and shade under the bracelet, and the bracelet just looks beautiful: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/31946/blue-crocheted-bracelet-asters-in-autumn.php . Maybe for that one your could add adjectives in your tags, like "chunky" and for a title, you could have something like "blue and green glass bead bracelet", it's more descriptive but not as interesting as your current title so I'm not sure which would be better.  What I also like is how you have some necklaces on a woman and it shows how it looks when worn. I find you picked a good sweater and those pictures are all consistent.

I think that's all I've got. Lovely colourful jewellery!

Edit: I just noticed Delightful Suds commented while I was writing - it's funny to see the different opinion on the sweater!
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:29:54 pm »

My first impression is that the store looks good with lots of product to choose from. Again, a banner will add a little pizzaz.  The store description I found kind of lengthy, like an essay.  I like that you’ve included info about both of you, but some info might not be necessary, like “Jessica presently sews from home”.  I don’t see anything in your shop that’s been sewn…unless you meant the crocheted items?? But I don’t believe crochet is the same as sewing....I could be wrong.  I wouldn’t change anything in the third paragraph…it sums up where your inspiration comes from, and how you’re jewelry is different from others.  

I love the way you’ve named the pieces, it lets me know what the dominant colours are or colour palette used.  Except for one: “Sleep On It woman’s leather necklace w lampwork bead”.  I don’t see why it was named this. Maybe since the dominant feature is the pendant, something like “Silver Marquis pendant necklace”.  

I haven’t yet mastered the right keywords to use for titles of my own jewelry, but I think I remember someone telling me to use the object first, then add qualities will get more hits?  

iCraft, is that right?  Does the title of each listing gain hits or the tag words?
So in the above example “Pendant, silver marquis with necklace”.

Store Policies are clear. I like the no return on earrings, I may steal that from you!

Photos do need to be brighter.  The items don’t pop because of the shadowing.  Some of the backgrounds are a little distracting and covers up the jewelry, like the Sleep On It necklace.  The silver pendant is against a silver background.  And with the Mocha Java 3 men’s bracelet, I find the grey rock blends in with the bracelet.  I agree with Delightful Suds about the turtleneck…if you’re using a bust or stand, try a white t-shirt or a white button-down shirt.  Also, I’ve been told to take photos of earrings hanging from something…earrings are meant to be hung and people want to see them that way.  

Pricing and shipping are comparative with others.
Overall, I think this shop is a good one, lots of product and one of a kind pieces.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:36:49 pm »

Your first impressions
I agree - the absent banner is a missed branding opportunity.  I like the immediate variety of items, though.  I agree, the avatar is nice.  It looks like wire wrapping!  Ooo - make the J gold lol.

Store Title & Description
I admit, I had no idea how to pronounce the name.  I was thinking it was a different way to spell Jaja like Jaja Gabor. (I don't even know if I spelled that right!)  *IF* you are open to changing the name, consider using two J words to combined yourselves.  I don't know... Just Jewellery or Jangling Jewellery or Jingle Jewels - no idea.  J is hard!

I liked the detail in the store description about the creators.  Keep the story.  However, I think you could rearrange it.  Put the closing paragraph near the beginning and put the back-story after.

Your first line is:
"Janis and Jessica are a mother, daughter team who enjoy creating unique, one of a kind pieces of jewellery."

I don't mean to be rude, but isn't everyone trying to make unique jewellery?  You need to be more specific.  You could say...
"Janis and Jessica are a mother, daughter team who enjoy re-engineering jewellery in to new, unique pieces."  (picking up on the "recycled" idea from Delightful Suds)
OR
"Janis and Jessica are a mother, daughter team who create jewellery for every-day wear from every-day inspirations" - here I am specifying the intended use - every-day wear versus, say, a diamond store who's jewellery is more for special occasions only,
OR
"Janis and Jessica are a mother, daughter team who specialize in jewellery for the on-the-go woman" - here, I'm specifying a target market - pretending it is the grab-n-go person who needs something that goes with everything and can handle being thrown on in the car or on the way out the door instead of finicking with delicate clasps or shattering if I happen to drop it on the driveway.  This is just an example.  You can fill in whatever you want to after the word specialize!

Target Keywords
In your store description, I can't help but feel this sentence needs the phrase "wire-wrapped jewellery" in it somewhere:
"Teaching herself wire wrapping she is now hooked on jewellery making as well and is adding to the variety of materials that provide the inspiration for new pieces."
- Close but no cigar, eh?

I like this sentence: "Most pieces can be worn as dressy or casual, many are adjustable in size or style and all are are made with care to ensure lasting satisfaction."  Good to know you can adjust size and style.  I would begin the sentence with "Most of our jewellery can...." so you take possession of the work and sneak in that keyword.

Your jewellery has options!  Consider adding to your product tags: adjustable (for those items that the buyer can adjust the length on the fly) or, say for your Study in Turqoise, "detachable", since there are 2 in 1 necklaces here.  Even put "2 in 1" as a tag!

Do you need "Woman's" in your titles and product copy?  (Look, ma!  I used a new word we learned!)  I would assume all necklaces are for women unless otherwise stated: Men's or Children's for example.  Maybe that's just me.

Product Photos
Yep - Dark.  You need a light box.  I am indifferent about the turtle neck, but whatever is in the background in the first photo here is better:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/30042/seaglass-necklace-in-green-and-gold-sea-scrolls.php

I think you have a good variety of photos because you show them both worn and not worn, close up and the whole thing.

Product Titles & Descriptions
Keywords are good in the titles.  I might put them first though.  For example:
Study In Turquoise Woman's Beaded Necklace ----> Beaded Necklace - Study in Turqoise

This title might be missing the word "pendant"
Victoria's Secret Woman's Ribbon Necklace ----> Ribbon Pendant Necklace - Victoria's Secret

Not all product has back-story in the descriptions.  What is there is fine, but after the "need to know stuff", why not tell a little of the inspiration?  You put so much effort into talking about inspiration in the store description and then it fizzled out in the products?
This one has a mention: "Originally designed as a brooch, it now makes an elegant necklace, ..."  More like that - unless that's bad for SEO to put brooch when it is no longer a brooch.... (admin?)

This listing doesn't tell me the length of the necklace nor have a picture of it worn?  (And a small typo "flanked by to smaller clear beads" instead of "two").
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/34696/spring-in-womans-lampwork-bead-necklace.php

Product Prices & Shipping
I don't buy or wear jewellery, but these are prices I would pay for someone else.  I have no idea what it costs to ship jewellery but those prices I would not balk at.

I get the feeling that the jewellery category here is going to be defined by your target market.  In order to get specific descriptions and keywords more particular than "unique jewellery", you will need to know who you want to wear your jewellery and market to the segment.  Not an easy task by any means.  (Don't throw tomatoes!)
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:27:56 am »

Red Rock Designs,
Product Title is by far the most important piece of the information from SEO perspective, than anything else on the page.

No, you don't have to say "Pendant" first and then add descriptive words in every Title.
What you should place in the beginning of the Product Title is the exact phrase describing your pendant that also has some Search Volume on Google.

So if you use Google Keywords Tools and search for "silver pendants" or "silver pendant necklace", you'll see that 14,800 people search for exact phrase "Silver Pendant Necklace" every months. That's what you should place in the beginning of the title for that product in your example. After this phrase you can then add other descriptive words, like color or occasion etc.

So at the end your title should look something like this "Silver Pendant Necklace with Genuine Aquamarine" or "Silver Pendant Necklace for Prom or Wedding".

Fairy Cardmaker,
No, mentioning "Brooch" once in the product description on a page that's optimized for other Phrase, like "Silver Pendant Necklace", won't affect anything.

Optimizing a page means placing specific Keywords/Phrases strategically on the page and repeating them a few times in your page copy. All other words that make up a page are just there to reinforce the main focus of the page. Brooch and Necklace are all part of the "Jewelry family, so it's all relevant.

JaJeJems,
I am not sure why your store's copy is written in such a way that it wraps to the new line, without taking all space. I'd suggest removing breaks that force copy to wrap like this. Empty space on the right doesn't look good. Plus, more copy could fit on the page if not for that wrapping. This might not look good on mobile devices too, so I'd keep things more standard.

I'd rearrange your store description too and talk first about your products and how they are unique, and then talk about you and your daughter. I think what you put there as a personal story is excellent! This is exactly the type of information I, as a buyer, want to know - the Creators behind jewelry I am buying! Don't change that story too much. Personal stories are a great way to humanize the whole experience of shopping for handmade.

I'll have more comments for you tomorrow in terms of good Keywords to use, but I think you already have a few good recommendations from others to work on.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:09:33 am by iCraft Admin »
JaJeJems

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 08:40:18 am »

Thank you all for your wonderful comments and suggestions!  I am overwhelmed with ideas at the moment! But it's a good feeling and I am looking forward to getting down to work on my store.  I am still chuckling about the white turtleneck - it has already had several "thumbs down" here anyway so I guess it has to go.  My photos have been bothering me for a while.  Thanks again - now on to our next assignment!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »

Looking at your store description, JaJeJems, I'd suggest to talk about your products in the first paragraph and then talk about you after that. Your personal story is definitely good and I'd keep it as is.

You have unique jewelry in your store - "Sea Glass Jewelry", which gets 12,100 unique monthly views. So I'd optimize your store page for that term. It doesn't mean that you can't mention other types of jewelry there too, but I'd set focus on "Sea Glass Jewelry" first.

Other good terms:   
beach glass jewelry - 1,900
glass heart pendant - 1,300
sea beach glass - 6,600   
glass pendant necklaces - 4,400
sea glass bracelets - 480
sea glass rings - 720
heart charm bracelets - 2,900   
lampwork bead - 14,800
artist beads - 3,600
crocheted bead bracelet - 1,600 (for this product https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/30634/crocheted-bead-bracelet-apple-blossom-time.php - page looks well optimized for his term already)

So I'd change your Specialty field to something like this - "Sea Glass Jewelry, Beach Glass Charms, Sea Glass Pendant Necklaces & Bracelets"

In the first sentence of your store description put something like this "My Sea Glass Jewelry collection was born out of love for walking on the beach and picking beautiful ...." and continue with the story Smiley
This is just an outline, an idea for you to work with, so just be creative and make sure you write for the people, not for search engines. Its important that your story reads well.

You can mention "Sea Glass Jewelry" maybe once again, but not more. Use variations and related words instead. Too much repetition is also bad.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 3 Assignment, Bootcamp #4 - Review "JaJeJems"
Jump to:  
Click