Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Recent Site Updates & Announcements  >  Shop Local - test out this new feature!
Pages: [1]
Author

Shop Local - test out this new feature!

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: September 04, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »

Hello iCrafters,

We are testing new feature called Shop Local.
This feature allows us to display products on the Map based on the address and the radius specified by the user.

For example, you can search for "Blue Hat" near "50 Queen W, Toronto, Ontario" within 5 mile radius.
Products will appear on the map approximate to the address specified by the seller in their profile.
Please see how your products are displayed in relation to your address and if you are comfortable with the current settings. We are not interested in exposing sellers' addresses. We only want to encourage locals to buy from crafters nearby.

We are still working on the display portion, but overall everything should be working.
Please test this new tool first and let us know what you think. Since we are still testing this page, please don't link to it or tweet about it yet.  Lips sealed Thanks everyone!
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:10:03 pm »

I find it a bit disconcerting that this feature is tied in to a physical map.  It gives far more precise results of where a seller lives than other selling sites that don't place things on a map.  I live in a large city, and it clearly shows what suburb of that city I live in.  Not sure that I like that.  Would be even more uncomfortable with this if I lived rurally.   

I'm not showing up within a 5 or 10 mile radius of "ottawa" when in fact the suburb I live in is part of the official city of Ottawa.  So the results seems to be focussed on the centre of town if someone just gives a city name.  If I'm looking for something local, any part of the city of Ottawa would work, not just downtown.

Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:11:39 pm »

I see what you're saying, Northern Girl, and it's a little creepy to me too, but as a business our addresses are public anyway (you have to put it on all customs forms and what not).  Those who are uncomfortable usually go and get a P.O. box.

I could, however, see this map getting really cluttered really fast if iCraft picks up in vendors and product.  It shows icons of the product and little product previews when you click.  Might be frustrating to see them and click the right one in a concentrated area of sellers.  By using a single image, say a seller's avatar, it doesn't display the product (which is a negative) but it would thwart some icon clutter.

To solve both problems, I have seen the following:
Do away with the map.
Use a list instead and the miles.

So, for myself say, the search would return:
Vendor 1 - 2 miles
FairyCardmaker - 3 miles
Vendor 3 - 5 miles

And then you can have a small row of product pictures under the vendor's name.  That way, the only location truly disclosed is the point of origin - the buyer's!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:08 am »

Thanks for the feedback!
We are not finished with the map yet, so I'll respond a bit later when we have the new version released.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Recent Site Updates & Announcements  >  Shop Local - test out this new feature!
Jump to:  
Click