Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Website Suggestions  >  Front page photo
Pages: [1]
Author

Front page photo

PetiteTuques

« on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:11 pm »

I'd like to know how the front page photos get selected.. and if mine will ever be shown there??
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:33:26 pm »

Hi PetiteTuques,

We hand-pick all photos for the Homepage Banner. We usually select photos that are of high quality, that provide user with a great amount of detail (product close-ups) and generally that have a white background, as it's easier for the designer to work that image into the banner space.

I think we've considered your photos for the Homepage Banner in the past, as you have some great products and beautiful images. However, you have a copyright sign across all your photos (e.g. https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/23879/adult-twilight-bella-style-cable-scarf.php). I believe that was the only reason why we didn't choose any of your product photos in the past.

PetiteTuques

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:25:37 pm »

I didn't think that would be a big deal... it's too bad because it would be nice to see some new photos..
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »

It is a huge deal in many places.  Especially for the front page, it could be confusing to have a seller's name layered so conspicously on the site banner with the iCraft name.

Etsy does not allow treasuries with watermarked images on the front page either.

I watermark those that are my original die cuts when I can and I would rather have that to stop people from saving my images and making stickers or ACEO's or what-not out of them for profit than be on the front page.  All I'm saying is, I don't speciifically take pictures with the mindset of being Front Page worthy (while it is an honour to be front page worthy!).  I take them for selling my product and protecting my work first and if I have to give up Front Page possiblity to do it, so be it.

I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

Even if Admin used the code in the pages that stops people from being able to right click, save as, someone could still take a screen snapshot and steal your image if it is not marked.  Just my thoughts.

When I use "store bought" die cuts, that's when I don't bother with watermarkiing.
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:15:02 pm »

I agree that it would be nice to see some new photos.  If the selection is limited to photos that have white backgrounds, then the same 6-8 sellers who currently dominate those slots will continue to be the only sellers featured.  Sadly, that gives a very limited view of what types of products are available here on icraft.

But I agree with Fairy Cardmaker.  As a seller, I prefer to try to use photos that will sell my items rather than focussing on getting photos that will get selected by admin to be on the front page.

Beajoux

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »

Hi,

I've noticed that the front page banner photos haven't changed much in the past year and when they do, it's often to showcase the same artist. I understand selecting quality photos with appropriate backgrounds, but surely with all the sellers here, some different ones could be selected in 2011?

Thanks.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:45:57 pm »

Yes, we are working on this right now, actually. Updating Homepage banner is a manual work, so we were slow updating it on regular basis.

Unfortunately, not all photos work on a banner, but we'll try to showcase diverse artists and product lines as much as we can.

So if you have great products in mind, with striking product photos yours or someone else's, please mention them here. We'll consider all entries. 
Beajoux

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »

This is a nice item, and from an artisan I haven't seen on the front page banner before:

https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/25236/red-coral-chips-bracelet-pataaka.php

Beajoux

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:57:50 pm »

Hello again,

Just checking in on this topic. Sorry to be a pain about it, but it's frustrating as a seller to see the same photos (since last year) and especially to see particular artists with 3 or more of their photos featured. It gives the illusion of favouritism, something that many of us disliked at Etsy. I understand it's a manual process, so perhaps you could call on sellers to provide you with a photo (either theirs or someone else's) that may meet with your requirements? That may speed up the process.

Many thanks,
Ainsley
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:28:45 am »

There is no favouritism. The only requirement we have for the banner is striking photos (without any writing on them) of good quality products. Homepage banner helps to create good first impression, so we sometimes try a few photos before choosing one that works. You should see new banner images next week. Thanks!
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Website Suggestions  >  Front page photo
Jump to:  
Click