Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Website Suggestions  >  Special characters when writing a listing
Pages: [1]
Author

Special characters when writing a listing

PetiteTuques

« on: August 12, 2010, 07:22:47 pm »

I want to write up some of my listings in french, but I noticed that when I copied my translation into the listing, all the special characters came up as "?" so I'm not sure now if it's because I used google translate and just copied, or if the characters just don't work here. I haven't tried using my keyboard.. I'll try now..

ééééééÉÉÉÉÉÉÉÉ

I hope this is something that can be worked on.. (if my letters don't work)

Thanks!

PS... I see that it did post.. but that it didn't work with my listing..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:25:24 pm by PetiteTuques »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:58:19 am »

Hi PetiteTuques,

At this moment we don't support characters in a different language. We were thinking about adding "Google Translate" widget, which would allow site visitors to translate content of any page into 50+ languages. We haven't done it yet, as we are not sure it's necessary any more, as most new browsers now offer an option to translate a page. Anyway, right now, I'd suggest not to insert any French copy into your listings, as it won't appear correctly. Thanks!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:46:09 pm »

For now, perhaps you could put something like:
Si vous voulez la version francais, dites moi.

But nicer and check la version v. le version because I never understood the sexes in French!  I know francais should have an accent but a French person will at least get the idea that one is available if they contact you.
PetiteTuques

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »

It's just not for me either, I got a feedback from a french customer and she must have a french keyboard because all the letters with accents were "?" and it's a little confusing.. I'm ok for having just the normal letter, but I don't like how the accent letter gets replaced with a "?" I can't exactly tell everyone not to write properly Smiley
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:46:47 am »

Admin, I see that you are thinking of adding a Google Translate widget.  I must say, Google Translate (and pretty much every web-based translator program) does a terrible job of translating things.  If something like this is used, the item descriptions would really be butchered, and it could lead to some really inaccurate information being given to potential customers who think they will be getting one thing, but really get something else.  It's one thing if a person uses such a widget on their own, but if the site supports it, could lead to some very unhappy customers. 

The problem with the translation programs is that there are often many meanings to words and the programs pick a random meaning and things often don't make sense.  I would hate to think of how the names of different types of stones could be translated, or how the names of colours that are the same as certain stones (like emerald, turquoise, ruby red, etc.) could be translated and leave a potential customer thinking that item uses that stone, when in fact it is say glass in that colour. 

As a person whose first language is not English (it is French), I ask you to please not install a Google Translator widget on the site.

Thanks.
Julie
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:18:43 pm »

Hi Julie,

Poor quality of automated translation tools is the main consideration and the reason why we still didn't implement Google Translate. We are not adding it any time soon. Thanks for your feedback!
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:24:49 am »

Thanks Admin, that makes me feel lots better.   Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Website Suggestions  >  Special characters when writing a listing
Jump to:  
Click