Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  Pre-Holiday season CRITIQUE please
Pages: [1]
Author

Pre-Holiday season CRITIQUE please

Fairy Cardmaker

« on: July 09, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »

So, I've been there 3 years.  I sold something almost right away.  I sold something at the beginning of the Buy'n'Sell.  I sold a some things to my sister-in-law.  That's it.

I finally have a decent volume of items in my shop.  I started promoting through blogging and Project Wonderful (PW for only 2 weeks so far though).

NO bites.

Now is the time to rework things before the "busy season" that I have yet to experience hits.  I am open to your thoughts.

What sucks in my shop?
- Is it my pictures?
- Is it my prices?
- Is it my variety?
- Is it my writing?

Have at it!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 09:06:24 am »

LOL... ur funny... But I will go and have a look.  I like yur new avatar by the way.

Cheers
Christine

What sucks in my shop?
- Is it my pictures?
- Is it my prices?
- Is it my variety?
- Is it my writing?

Have at it!
PetiteTuques

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:50:09 am »

I like your store, and I know you are not alone in the "no bites" situation. I haven't been here a year yet, but I thought I'd get more sales, like others do on other sale sites.

Your pictures are good, I think the best picture quality one is this: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/21536/quilled-angel-bear-christening-card.php

It's very bright, and gives a wow factor.

But you are in luck! I guess I never really looked too deep into your store, because I never noticed before the anniversary cards, and my own 6-year anniversary is coming up! I will be contacting you!

I'm trying to get the Buy N Sell started again, and I think others should get more involved too, I feel like I am the only one here day after day, whenever I check to see who is online, no one is. The one time that I see other sellers here is for  Bootcamp. Maybe there should be another, just to get the sellers back Smiley

All I can end with is hang in there, I'm with you too!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

I don't think Buy'N'Sells are supposed to run so long though.  I think we should have started new ones for different seasons.  I don't know how they restart though.  Do you just take everyone who was on the list at the end of the last one and start a new thread?

Thanks for updating my shop name on the list.  I noticed that. Smiley
PetiteTuques

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:54:40 pm »

I think Loopy4ewe started the last Buy N Sell, and I think it should run all the time, the more people get involved, the more products are getting out there. There are a whole bunch of people doing trades on other sites, and I don't understand how it's not getting picked up here. Maybe it's just because it's me, I'm too new to start something Sad
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 02:33:08 pm »

Hey petites.

No you are not too new here to start anything.  Sometimes a new person's perspective on something is better than a long timer's.

You go ahead and make whatever splash you can!!!

Hey I just got two sales yesterday Woo hoo!

I am vacationing on the other side of the world and have several sales happening at my stores... go figure.  I need to go away more often!

PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:39:37 pm »

Hey fairy card maker... I think you store looks lovely. I think the pics look great.

I'm not good for any suggestions except check out your competition... those that seem to be doing a volume of business. I did a search to have a look at some of your competition and they looked crappy not as nice as your.

I don't get it some days either .

Just keep your stores stocked as full as you can as more products means more views.

Cheers
Christine
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 09:32:40 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts you two.  PTD, thanks for the compliments on m y items and pictures.

Before now, I thought it might be my lack of promotion.  I have been promoting lately though through Project Wonderful and my blog.  I've been looking for swag bag promo calls for summer events but haven't seen a call for any in a long time.

I could see it being my prices, so I keep trying to find ways to have a variety of price points.

Anyone else got more ideas?
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

Your shop is lovely. 

I agree with PTD, check out other card sellers that are doing well.  That may give you a sense related to variety, photos, etc.

I woouldn't think that your prices are the problem.  Your prices seem very reasonable.  I often pay those types of prices at Hallmark, and your items are far more unique (and tons more work).

I took a quick look at your shop and have a couple of comments.  I noticed that you don't use very many tags.  Try adding more tags, and include the colour of the card and more tags about the card occasion (maybe different ways of stating the occasion). 

Something that I did find a bit off-putting in you item descriptions is that you include all of your policies in each and every descripition, making it a very long (and overwhelming).  I see the description and then I want to find out your shipping charge, but the long policies are in the way.  And a couple of the policy bits are off putting (like the hazard warning and the dos and don'ts).  I know that we don't have an area specific for policies here (I'm going to create a post in the website section asking for one), but you might be better served to reduce your policies down to the bare essentials and include that in your bio section up at the top of your shop so that it's only there once. 

I know that you metioned advertising with PW, but from what I have heard, PW is pretty hit or miss.  Remember that for an ad to be effective, first it much be where your target market will find it, second it must be attractive/eye-catching enough that people feel compelled to click on your ad.  That can take a fair amound of work and refinement. 

Good luck!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »

Thanks, Northern Girl Jewellery.  I agree about the policies being way too long.  I had asked for a policy section not long after joining - probably a couple years ago now.  Thanks for reviving the topic in the website suggestions!

I thought putting our colour in the "dominant colour" box was a tag substitute, but you are right!  That might just be a search tag within the site but not a true product tag.  Thanks for the tip!  That is really valuable!

I have looked at other shops and I can't figure it out.  I see a lot of shops selling cards for $3.50 or less who get lots of volume.  I have some design ideas for bare minimum cards that I could charge less than $4 for.  I strive to use mainly my own die cuts because I see many who break copyright policies which makes me nuts.  My die cut designs are simpler than store brands.  I suppose that makes them less appealing than cards that use store brand die cuts that are more intricate and detailed.  Or maybe "simple" translates to "less valuable" to buyers.  But simple is my strength.  I just have the find the market that appreciates simplicity and clean lines.  (The other difference for me is quilling, but it's time consuming and therefore costly.)

The other card shops that do well do not sell my style of cards.  My direct card competition is scrapbook style and handstamped cards.  The category that sells well are OOAK almost collage type cards.  Even letterpress, which I really love but don't have the patience to do, have difficulty selling.  OOAK is the way to go for premium priced cards.

I'm liking PW so far.  I purchased a graphics package with a square PW ad.  I've gotten a handful of clicks I might not have otherwise gotten and most cost me $0.07 US or less per click.  $5.00 US of advertising lasted me 1 month.  Not bad at all, I say.  I guess I'm one of the 'hits!'  I do look at each blog (not running a general campaign) and I tried very hard to choose ones my target market might read.

Thanks again everyone for helping me out.  Sometimes, an objective pair of eyes is really helpful!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:41:37 pm by Fairy Cardmaker »
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  Pre-Holiday season CRITIQUE please
Jump to:  
Click