Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Questions Related to the Website  >  How can I delete Canadian shipping?
Pages: [1]
Author

How can I delete Canadian shipping?

neatTreats

« on: April 23, 2010, 12:23:45 am »

I'd like to delete the Canadian Shipping option from my store but when I hit delete I see the following message:

This shipping profile cannot be deleted because it has associated products. Before deleting this profile please remove any product association with it.

Please tell me that I don't have to delete each and every profile before I can delete the Canadian shipping option.  If this is the case, can icraft because change that.  

Pam
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:58:13 am by iCraft Admin »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:03:34 am »

Hi Pam,

Just wonder why you are removing Canadian Shipping from your products. This way you are limiting who can buy your products. So do you want only people from US buy your products, even though you are in Canada?
It doesn't hurt to have Canadian and International Shipping Options. I just can't quite understand what could be the reason for not providing those options.

To remove association to a particular Shipping Profile, you have to update individual products first.
Then you can delete Shipping Profile that was linked to those products.

Thanks!
neatTreats

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:27:30 am »

As you know, shipping in Canada is incredibly expensive; it varies depending on your postal code.  In order to cover the cost of shipping I would have to list the most expensive cost I would incur, and I should add here that I have just amended my U.S. shipping to match my shop on another site.  If you look at my site you'll see my shipping to the U.S. is now $2.75.  In order to do this I had to up the cost of my soap to take some of the cost, because to ship to the majority of the U.S. states is $5.54.  I hesitated to do this on "the other" site, but the effect was 11 sales in 8 days.  The determining factor for most buyers seems to be that shipping cost.  I should add that for the first year, out of a $4.95 sale I was eating $1.50 of the shipping.

Now, back to Canada.  So in order for me to list a shipping cost, I would estimate the maximum I would have to pay, in this case to either B.C. or Newfoundland for up to 8 ounces, that cost would be $11.84 plus tax for a shipping cost of $13.26.  My products now sell for $7.00 to $8.00.  If I absorbed $5.00 of the shipping cost, my profit would be 2 to $3.00 and the shipping cost on a $7.00 product would still be $8.26.

As the shipping profile allows us to only input one rate, I would like to delete the option to ship to Canada, and instead put the following on my profile: 

If you live in Canada and are interested in my soap please convo me with your postal code and I will quote the shipping cost

This is not ideal for me, but I absolutely believe that by listing a shipping cost of $7.00 or $8.00 for a product that sells for $7.00 or $8.00, will cause buyers to just look and bounce right off my site.  There is no doubt in my mind that the shipping cost has a major effect on whether the buyer decides to purchase.

As far as the 2mm slot goes, clearly my soap will not fit through there so that option is not available to me.

Pam   
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:53:36 am »

Hi Pam,

You can always add a message asking buyers to contact you about shipping charges, before placing an order.
However, online purchases are often done on an impulse. If users can’t buy from you at that moment, they might change their mind later. I still think you are limiting yourself by removing an option for Canadians to buy from you online.
Some people might want to buy a few things at once to save on shipping. If you remove shipping option, they won’t be able to purchase online. They could only email you, which is not ideal for someone who is already in a shopping mode.

By the way, you can add up to 3 shipping profiles for each product listing. Usually people add Shipping to US, Canada and International.
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:33:13 am »

Pam, rather than asking Canadians to contact you if they want to buy from you, have you thought of leaving your shipping to Canada at whatever you need it to be for the furthest distance and having a note in your profile at the top of your shop that says that you will refund any overages in shipping costs to buyers in Canada? 

This would allow Canadians to buy from you on impulse.  You can refund the difference in Paypal and then Paypal doesn't charge you fees on the refund portion.

PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:45 am »

This is what I do also. Fabric weight varies incredibly! So far people are always pleased when I can refund them.

I have the note in every listing that only actual shipping is charged and  I refund any excess amount.

So far it seems to work.

Cheers
Christine
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Questions Related to the Website  >  How can I delete Canadian shipping?
Jump to:  
Click