Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 3 icraft SEO Bootcamp What Happened Today?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Author

Day 3 icraft SEO Bootcamp What Happened Today?

Vintage Inspired Jewelry

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:04 am »

Hope this helps. The words are slightly off but maybe tweaking them to match would help.

Twig - Rustic, Organic Copper Ring

Best Keyword Phrase: copper beads   590    12,100   
Link: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/15556/twig-rustic-organic-copper-ring-made-to-order-in-your-size.php

Mug Hugger - Leaf Clover Dot

Best Keyword Phrase: travel coffee mugs    880    49,500   
Link:https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/21038/mug-hugger-leaf-clover-dot.php

LOVE-LY BIRDS NECKLACE

Best Keyword Phrase: pearl stud earrings   880    40,500   
Link:https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/21141/love-ly-birds-necklace.php

thanks for looking. Not sure the best keyword phrase is pearl stud earrings. Pearls yes,but they are not studs?
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »

That is why icraft is such an amazing tool to capture the untapped Canadian market. As I explained earlier Google is somewhat geographically intuitive and will deliver icraft listings higher on the list for Canadians searches... that isn't always the case however.  Everything depends on the strength of keywords... relevant, not too popular, words that buyers use.

Another example to demonstrate how buyers think is by the keywords "cheap hotels". Buyers aren't as likely to search for inexpensive, frugal, penny pincher... people think "cheap". Same as "cheap chic" Now when it comes to cars, people are more apt to search for "budget car rental" as apposed to a cheap car rental. "Budget car rental" has 750,000 searches but as soon as you add "USA" at the end the search numbers drop to 4,400, change it to "budget car rental in Seattle" and it drops down to 1300 (surprisingly high still).

If you needed to rental a car when you arrived at the Seattle airport you would make it a lot easier on yourself by searching specifically... same as your jewelry buyer... they will search specifically, unless they are just snooping in which case you are just hoping you will get lucky in amongst the other million sellers in their search list.

My point... are you writing your product titles in hopes of getting lucky or writing them to be found by the 30, 50 or 100 serious buyers looking for exactly what you want.

Online sellers have been so programmed to get views, lots and lots of them.  It has only been in the last while that the message is getting out... a gazillion looky-lews aren't worth as much as a handful of buyers with their wallets open.  Smiley
Our bootcamp exercise here is to help you THINK LIKE AND FIND YOUR BUYERS.  Smiley

Hmmm....that's interesting to know.

Thanks, Paul, for picking my beads, and it's really helpful to know that the title doesn't come up with much.

...wow, am I learning here.
I do have other online shops, under the name Gillianbeads (Etsy and ArtFire) and I've had them come up on Google.com

I tried a search for one of Christine's pillows last night to no avail...going to try again this evening.
I also tried with BeauMonde's jewellery, and her titles are keywords...she's doing well.

This is a challenge all right...I'm trying to narrow down keywords that are better for my beads and jewellery...gosh.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 12:08:33 pm »

Crywolf... tell us how you imbedded those pics... pretty plez!

PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:22 pm »

Oh ya... another point...

If you have another store on Etsy or Artfire make sure your title and description is not exactly the same as your icraft listing.

Also don't make any of your icraft titles exactly the same as another of your icraft titles.  Google gets ticked if you have exact duplicate content so change things around a bit.

Each listing should be optimized for that keyword(s) / keyword phrase.

Phew!  All these rules!!!  LOL... it will come much easier when you get used to it and it will make a huge difference for you so yes, it is worth it.

Tip I put this Google keyword tool https://adwords.google.ca/select/KeywordToolExternal right in my favorites toolbar so I can easily click on it and flip back and forth when writing a listing.

Now for all my preaching about keywords and SEO I better get started.  Right now my store is NOT a really good example of optimized titles and descriptions.

Cheers
Christine
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »

That's a very good point, Christine. Each listing has to have unique Title and Description.
If you copy/paste same listing on 3 different sites, without making any changes to the copy, it will not do you any good. Google will consider those pages duplicate content and display only one of them from one of the sites, usually the one, where you posted that product first. All others won't perform as good.
wabibrookstudio

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »

#page has been deleted#
jdh designs listing: "Blue green and mauve silk scarf"
When I search the title exactly as written, the item comes up first, but the keyword tool says not enough data, so that means no-one is searching for those specific keywords, am I right?  I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around this.  Smiley
handmade silk scarves - 1,000 searches
blue silk shawl - 1,000
printed silk scarves - 720
purple silk scarves - 720

https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/19577/womens-eco-friendly-red-leather-bag-w-recycled-materials.php
Weezi's listing: Women's Upcycled Red Leather Coat Shoulder Bag
unique leather handbags - 590
big leather purse - 480
medium shoulder bags - 1000

https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/21695/charcoal-and-tea-tree-handmade-soap.phpcharcoal-and-tea-tree-handmade-soap.php
Sarah Ranes' listing: Charcoal and Tea Tree Handmade Soap
all natural handmade soap - 720
handmade natural soap - 720
acne face soap - 1000

Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 01:58:13 pm »

Here are my results from searching for items.

Purse
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/18916/see-no-evil-corduroy-purse.php

chocolate brown purse          0.53       not enough data    1300
handmade  brown purse      not enough data   

I thought this was interesting because I would use the search term handmade if I was looking for a handmade item, but I guess it's not a popular search term for general google searches.  People looking for handmade specifically must just go directly to the handmade selling sites and search directly from there. 

Vase
#page has been deleted#

green glass vase   0.73   320   18100
green glass vases   0.66   91   3600
handmade glass vase   0.53   -1   1600
fused glass vase   0.4   -1   480

In reality, I wouldn't search using the word fused as I'm not that knowledgeable about which processes give which looks when it comes to glass vases. 

Pillow
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/17020/silk-decorative-throw-pillows-cream-aqua-gold-stripes-20x20.php

aqua pillow    0.53   110   5400
light blue pillow   0.4   46   1600
aqua cream pillow      not enough data   

I would actually search aqua cream pillow if that's what I was looking for, but apparently, not many people do.  Interestingly, when I searched aqua cream pillow on google.ca, this pillow in your etsy shop was the very first result Christine. 

So this exercise has me thinking...  I understand that trying to compete using really popular keywords is not very helpful.  But wouldn't the advertizer column carry more weight than the global monthly search one?  So having a small advertizing competition number be more valuable than a small global search number?  Although I realize that the advertizing one is based on paid advertizing on google, so wouldn't necessarily correspond to how many items should up in a general google search.
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 02:18:13 pm »

Doing this assignment and day 2s assignment has shown me that it's even harder to think like a buyer than I thought it was.

The glass vase example that I used.  I would never think to use the word fused if I was searching for a handmade green vase.  And I have some knowledge of glass because I use handmade glass beads in my jewelry.  I've even done some glass fusing to make pendants.  I love glass and I wouldn't think to use the word fused, so I think that only very knowledgeable buyers would use the word.  So how does the seller distinguish herself in searches from all the other green vases? 

I don't know how to make my stuff stand out there and have been intimidated to try (which is why I have neglected learning about SEO until now - yes, on this one I played ostrich).  There is tons and tons and tons of jewelry out there.  I tend to use my materials in my product titles because that is what describes them best.  But the average buyer doesn't know that much about materials (beyond maybe sterling silver, copper or gold) and likely won't be looking for things by the specific stone name.  I realize someone is more likely to be looking for a purple ring than a charoite ring.  But there are millions of purple rings, so the chance of someone finding my charoite ring that way are slim to none.   

All this to say that at this point, I still feel pretty clueless about what keywords to select for my stuff that would actually be helpful.

My GA for icraft tells me that many searches that end up in my shop contain the word Ottawa.  That's fab, locals can find me, but I want others to find me too.

crywolf

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »

Crywolf... tell us how you imbedded those pics... pretty plez!

just use the tags [ img ] PHOTO LINK [ / img ]

without the spaces of course
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 03:19:09 pm »

What's PHOTO LINK and where do I get it???
Northern Girl Jewelry

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »

Christine, when you are replying to things, a whole bunch of symbols appear above the message box.  There are 2 rows of grey boxes.  The second grey box in the second row is Insert Image.  click on that one to insert an image.

PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 03:51:36 pm »

https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/18435/carnelian-and-sterling-silver-necklace.php

carnelian jewelry  12,100
carnelian necklace  9,900
carnelian necklaces 1900
carnelian bead necklace  880
amber bead necklace 190
orange agate 2400
carnelian agate 2900

How about this...
"Carnelian necklace with sterling silver accent"

This is a tough one because  if I saw someone wearing it, and wanted one, I would go home and check on my computer with "orange agate necklace" as I would have no clue that it was called carnelian.  But, apparently lots of people know what carnelian is so I might title it with Carnelian bead necklace. I would call it by its color amber or orange if I didn't know the name of the stone which most people don't... and yes I know amber is also a stone.  Arghhhh

Hope this helps?

Doing this assignment and day 2s assignment has shown me that it's even harder to think like a buyer than I thought it was.

The glass vase example that I used.  I would never think to use the word fused if I was searching for a handmade green vase.  And I have some knowledge of glass because I use handmade glass beads in my jewelry.  I've even done some glass fusing to make pendants.  I love glass and I wouldn't think to use the word fused, so I think that only very knowledgeable buyers would use the word.  So how does the seller distinguish herself in searches from all the other green vases? 

I don't know how to make my stuff stand out there and have been intimidated to try (which is why I have neglected learning about SEO until now - yes, on this one I played ostrich).  There is tons and tons and tons of jewelry out there.  I tend to use my materials in my product titles because that is what describes them best.  But the average buyer doesn't know that much about materials (beyond maybe sterling silver, copper or gold) and likely won't be looking for things by the specific stone name.  I realize someone is more likely to be looking for a purple ring than a charoite ring.  But there are millions of purple rings, so the chance of someone finding my charoite ring that way are slim to none.   

All this to say that at this point, I still feel pretty clueless about what keywords to select for my stuff that would actually be helpful.

My GA for icraft tells me that many searches that end up in my shop contain the word Ottawa.  That's fab, locals can find me, but I want others to find me too.

PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »

I see the picture button and when i click on it I get this...

Then what do I do? I get the url for a pciture? From where? what if I want to do a screen shot from my computer?

Tell me, tell me, I'm dying to know!

Christine, when you are replying to things, a whole bunch of symbols appear above the message box.  There are 2 rows of grey boxes.  The second grey box in the second row is Insert Image.  click on that one to insert an image.

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 05:57:47 pm »

Christine, you can only copy/paste image URL within  [ img ] tags, like product images... Sorry, I think we disabled upload function for some good reasons.  Roll Eyes
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 09:31:35 pm »

Hi admin... I think I tried that... copy and paste an image in the little image brackets.  Nothing happens.... does the image have to come from the icraft pool of pics? Like our blog pics?

This has confounded me for so long  I would just love to figure it out!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 3 icraft SEO Bootcamp What Happened Today?
Jump to:  
Click