Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Writing for the Web  >  We should kiss
Pages: [1]
Author

We should kiss

Zendotstudio

« on: June 10, 2009, 01:19:19 am »

That's creepy.  We've never met before and I'm suggesting we share saliva?  Well not exactly. I have stumbled over to icraft to offer a few words on writing for the web and KISS stands for Keep It Short, Sellers (actually it stands for keep it simple, stupid, but I wouldn't say that to you!)

Well who am I to be crashing around offering kisses and insults?  I'm glad you asked.  I am a visual artist and writer and have offered to share what I know about writing on this forum.  I love the idea of a Canadian online venue for handmade goodies so I'm really excited to be here.  

I have worked as a technical writer, done some magazine writing and written 100 Days of Dharma on my blog.

I will post a writing tip every second day or so and we can take it from there.  You may disagree or have something to add or you may just want to throw an egg at me.  Go for it I say!

So about the KISSing thing.  It's like this.  You only want to give your reader as much information as he/she needs, no more.  You want to pack  your intro and product posts with everything they need.  Think of it as their little suitcase.  You don't want it to bulge and look hideous, otherwise they will slink away in disgust.

Use as few words as possible to get the work done and separate your text with paragraphs.  Nothing turns readers off more than big long pieces of text.

Recent research has shown that when people read on the web, they tend to scan rather than read the entire entry so don't waste words that will never be eaten.  They'll go bad on the table and give off a strange odour.

So that's it kids.  Don't follow my bad example and ramble on, be short and to the point.  Your buyers will be happy customers then.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:57:22 am »

Wow good advice.

I like the suggestion of separating text with paragraphs and don't waste words because people scan.

Good stuff!
Zendotstudio

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:59:58 am »

You have cleverly modeled everything I talked about in your post here, Ms. Pillow Throw!  Thanks for showing us how it's done.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:16:17 pm »

I love paragraphs!  I hate long, unbroken drivel.  Paragraphs are mini-write-ups.  They, too, should have an introduction, middle, and closing.  I stress the introduction part!!  That's what I read when I scan.  That's what determines whether I read or skip that entire paragraph.

Good topic!
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:01:30 pm »

I struggle with the "short" part, as I am wordy.   :?
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Writing for the Web  >  We should kiss
Jump to:  
Click