Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  Die cutting machines
Pages: [1]
Author

Die cutting machines

Zs Knees

« on: June 08, 2009, 12:22:39 am »

I'm in the market for a die cutting machine... I think... Has anyone used one for fabric and felt? If so, which machine?

I don't need it for paper, so it's really important that it works well with fabric. I ran across a blog that said Sizzex?

Is there anywhere that rents these machines out? If not there should be, that would make my day!!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:30:00 am »

Check craigslist and ebay .. you can always find weird and wonderful tools there.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:54:06 pm »

I only cut paper, so I don't know about fabric.  However, keep in mind what the purpose is.  If it's personal use, fine.  But if it's not, not all die-cutting companies have friendly angel policies.

Ones I think *might* cut fabric:
The Big Shot or Big Kick by Sizzix
Spellbinder's Wizard

Those two are larger manual cutters with lots of force, so I hear.  I've never used either though.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31:42 am »

Are you making circles?  

I have an Osborne button making machine so that I can upholster my own buttons.  It has dies in 4 or 5 different sizes.  It an cut 5 to 10 layers of faabric depending on thickness

If you want to see one watch this video clip.
i can hook you up through one of my wholesale suppliers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9V8cE1hKuI

That help?
Zs Knees

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:21:23 am »

Thanks Ensorcelled & Pillow!

I've never heard of a friendly angel policy...? What, it means I couldn't sell something made in part using a die cut machine? That seems crazy!

Christine, no I need it for letters... I still use plates and saucers when I need circles! :lol:

Anyway, I finally bought a BigKick. It says right on the machine that it works on fabric. Then I bought an alphabet set. (patiently waited for sales and coupons for both...) Took it home. Doesn't cut through fabric. :evil:

To be continued...
Zs Knees

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 01:43:15 am »

Here's the scoop, if anyone's interested:

My machine, the Sizzix BigKick, works with lots of different dies (including other companies').

Sizzix Sizzlets do NOT cut through fabric.
Sizzix Originals DO! (Jumping Jacks, Hoots, Hollers!)

I've heard that other dies work also, including Sizzix Bigz. But I'm just telling you what I know first hand. I've had good luck finding Sizzix Originals dies at good prices through ebay.

Just thought I'd pass all this on, since it took me forever and a day to figure it all out myself! Happy (and fast!) cutting! Cheesy
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:07:38 pm »

Yes, an Angel Policy is a policy set by the company about when you can and cannot use their designs on products for resale.

Technically, you should write to the Sizzix company, explain what you are using it for, and ask them if it's okay.

However, many many people resell without a second thought - most because they don't know such policies exist and the chance of being caught/reported is low.  Isn't it the same with fabric?  You can't sell something made with say... Disney print or Harley print fabric because you don't have a license to resell Disney or Harley copyrighted material?
Zs Knees

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:44:46 am »

Hmm... I can understand that using trademarked fabric crosses a line. I'd be using a famous character invented and owned by someone else, for my own profit.

But who owns the english alphabet?!

So I guess we would be talking about fonts then...? But then why is it okay to use Font X on my shop banner, for example?

This is all very interesting.

Well, if need be, I'll have to take the time to alter each letter before using it. That would still be faster than hand cutting each letter start to finish... Or, maybe the alphabet isn't covered in all this weirdness...?

It's a bit frustrating because I actually prefer the look of hand-cut letters! I like it better when things aren't so robotically perfect. But I just can't charge a reasonable price for all the work that involves.

Well, you've opened a can o worms for me! :lol:
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  Die cutting machines
Jump to:  
Click