Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  Why would anybody want to buy your stuff?
Pages: [1]
Author

Why would anybody want to buy your stuff?

GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« on: June 02, 2009, 08:42:36 pm »

That's a fair question! Do you know? If you don't know, then you need to ponder because this is very important to how you market "your stuff."

Here is a quick rundown on what this is and why it is important.

In marketing speak, it is called your core competency.
    What do you do better than your competitor?
    What sets your business apart from the others?
    How is your product going to stand out in the crowd?
    Why would anybody want to buy your stuff?
It doesn't matter if you have a hobby business or a full time business, if you are selling onine, you ARE in business!

Once you figure out what sets you apart, you can utilze that information in many ways:
    Create a tag line or motto or mission statement from it.
    Use that everywhere by attaching it to your logo or identity.
    Put it on your invoices.
    Sign off your emails and snail mails with it.
    Pepper the internet with it in your profiles everywhere
    Be prepared with a 25 word answer when people ask "and, what do YOU do??
Some ideas to target in your pondering:
    Is your design unique?
    Is your product innovative?
    Is your product unusual?
    Are your materials different?
    Is your customer service a signature service to you?
    Is your shipping fast, cheap, accurate?
    Do you always send a gift or sample?
    What is unique to YOU?
    You get the picture...
This little answer can actually define who you are as a business person and as an artist/crafter and will shape your marketing efforts. Eventually, after marketing this competency to the world, people will recognize your business in this way!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:33:43 pm »

Another good post!

It's tough to decide but the answer to this question will certainly help you to define your target market!

I'd have to say, for myself, that my designs are my core competency.  While I adore the look of letterpress cards, I don't have a clue how to do it!  I LOVE die cuts, though, so I design cards where the focal point is a die cut.  This adds texture to your cards WITHOUT adding bulk which can make mailing awkward and more expensive.

Now I have an electronic cutter where I can make my own die-cuts so my designs will be even more unique!!
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:56:52 am »

I am glad you are getting some benefit from this Marketing section!

Your designs ARE unique and set you apart!

Also, your statement: "I design cards where the focal point is a die cut. This adds texture to your cards WITHOUT adding bulk which can make mailing awkward and more expensive..." is a GREAT marketing line. I would encourage you to put that in every listing, in your announcement, and in all profiles you have on the Internet. This sets you apart and positions you as a good business woman considerate of the buyer, as well as a fabulous artist/designer.

Happy selling!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:38 pm »

Thanks - that's quite a good idea!

There's lots of good advice in here and I think you might have more lurkers than you know!
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:00:39 am »

LOL! Lurkers.

We are lurker-friendly!
Thanks for the encouragement!
thefinickystitcher

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:36:30 pm »

Thanks for the post, it gives me much to think about.

I don't know the answers to all of the questions but I'm guessing that your post is more to make me take the time to think about those things. Having never had a business before, I sometimes don't even know what questions to ask myself that will help me move forward.

Sometimes I get so busy creating that I forget about the marketing side of things which is obviously also very important. I better start or I will soon be overrun with cozies and yarn  :wink:
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  Why would anybody want to buy your stuff?
Jump to:  
Click