Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  The cool kid on the block...
Pages: [1]
Author

The cool kid on the block...

Rohini Wahi

« on: May 26, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »

Okay so I didn't specify what my subject was as I didn't want many of you to 'switch off' as I have done in the past when I saw the word 'Twitter'...wait, wait please don't go, just hear me out! If you need to give one marketing aid a chance let it be this one...

Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other users' updates known as 'tweets'. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length which are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have subscribed to them (known as followers). Users can send and receive tweets via the Twitter website, their mobile or other external applications if they choose. Read more about Twitter here.

At first I too was reluctant to join Twitter, thinking it one more frivolity to add to the ever growing lists of social networking - plus I had a blog so how much MORE info did I need to give out to the world?

However I kind of got railroaded into it by a persistent friend and it really was quick and easy, you sign up and give the usual info - email address, account name, you get to design your own page, then you're pretty much all set for tweeting! I started off by tweeting inane things like 'just had my breakfast' and 'off to the park' feeling aimless and pretty pointless about the whole concept.

It wasn't until I noticed Grace Bonney of Design Sponge - someone I really admire as a very clever business woman - had an account on Twitter along with her design blog obviously - and decided to 'follow' her (you can 'follow' absolutely anyone you can imagine - Martha Stewart, Richard Branson...and it really IS them!) that I realised Twitter was genius.

I kind of used Grace as a template for how someone in a creative industry should build up a brand identity for themselves alongside their main showcase, be it a shop, a blog, or a website. Granted Grace has a head start with Design Sponge, but I have seen many of my friends build up a strong brand before my eyes within their first few weeks of joining Twitter and 'following the rules' which I will discuss in a minute.

Grace's 'tweets' combine a lively commentary of her day to day life in context to her career, so for eg. 'On my way to Brooklyn stationary show', followed by 'Some great work at show especially loved xxx's work...' then maybe a 'Twitpic' of the product (this is a simple application that allows you to upload photos and include them in your comment). As a creator you could 'tweet' about your 'trip to the vintage fabrics sale' then later 'experimenting with a great 60's floral I picked up at the sale...' consequently tweeting about the completion of the product and linking to the product in your shop.

Twitter is basically a documentation of your daily inspirations and an insight on how you run your business. It's more to the point than a blog, giving your followers snappy pieces of information, showing them what you're about, allowing them to buy into your 'brand' and see what you're selling within a different platform.

Many see Twitter as time consuming, not having time to fit it in to their busy schedules, but it can literally be as easy as sending a text (there is a simple application that allows you to add it to your mobile phone) or keeping the Twitter page open all day while you're working and typing in a few thoughts every so often.

A lot of people also have the attitude 'I'm not very interesting, I have nothing to write about' but we are all creative people, we see things every day that inspire us, why not share what you see with others if it means enhancing your brand.

Here is a really great article to help you think about why you are tweeting from a marketing perspective and what rules to follow to make your Twitter page successful.

Drop me a line on here if you have any trouble-shooting questions and I will try and help. You can check out iCraft's Twitter profile here and my own one here .

Good luck and have FUN! If you start an account post it on here so we can start following - or if you have an existing one let us know so others can get a feel for how it works. You can get people to follow you in the same way as you promote your store, add your url at the end of emails, add an RSS feed on your own blog, let your friends know, add to your signature whilst posting on other blogs, just get it out there and you'll be surprised how many followers you'll gain.

Keep me posted on how you get on - look forward to hearing from new Twitter recruits!

Rohini
x
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:24:09 am »

How many times do you hear that?

I bet most tweeters are younger than 35... the net generation.

I'm from the baby boomer generation... Not that it is old it, it's just that we value our time differently.   I don't watch reality TV shows and I don't watch Maurey what's his name. Tweeters need constant drama in their life.  I don't say that with criticism, just a comment.  It is not bad, it is just different.

I tried Twitter... painfully boring. Martha  and the design sponge lady are admittedly interesting but I'd rather read their blogs

Tweeters are maybe over stimulated with attention spans shorter than boomers?  I feel badly saying these things because I know Tweeters have built themselves a remarkable brand quickly... their followers are of the same ilk.  Sighhhh...  I dunno that I can agree with your position... I tried it and it made me nuts.  I am enjoying the peace and quiet in my life.  I think twitter is a subversive way for the cel companies to drive up their billing.

And besides I am too old to be brief.  For heaven sakes... my name practically takes up all the 140 characters. So the only thing I would have room left over for is to add  "LOL"

mrschristineskaleyreidpillowmakerextrordinairreatthefabuloushandmadesiteoficraftgifts.com/pillowthrowdecorin MissionBCCanada

LOL See Smiley
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:09:16 am »

Twitter CAN be focused. I use it and have made a few very nice handmade artist chat buddies.

More imporantly, I use twitterfeed to tweet my new listings or edits - I have it set up to tweet only the last two during an hour. I get 20-30 views each time.

I think the key is to know why you are doing it. I have followed back ONLY those who are in the handmade community. That gives us common ground.

Maybe I am on twitter 4 days a week....so it does not consume me....and only for 5 minutes or so. What is so neat is that you can just jump in and comment on a link or make a statement that will peak everyone's interest and then you have a conversation going.

More on this later - I can do a post on applied practical tweeting for your business!
Rohini Wahi

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:33:35 am »

Hi Christine - Haha some good points there!

Well actually if you look at the ages of Tweeter's from the list of celebrities on Twitter, (and yes I know this generation of celebs = drama but i mean REAL notaries) like Jonathan Ross (49), Stephen Fry (52), Alice Hoffman (57), John Cleese (70), Meg Cabot (42), Paulo Coelho (62), then the 'net generation' theory may be disproved! But yes I agree the majority prob is under 35.

I guess it's all a matter of preference, your pace of lifestyle and what fits in with your day to day routine. I personally think its not so much about generations (as shown above) but about embracing what tools you think are good for your business. If your clientele is mainly family, friends, craft show punters then Twitter maybe isn't so relevant.

However I have to say that my boyfriend (late 20's) refuses to become a part of Twitter whereas my mother (early 50's) and leading a much slower paced life embraces it completely!!!

Linda - it would be great if you could show us how you use Twitter. I am not a maker so don't use Twitter for product promotions - it would be really useful to see how you incorporate it into your routine.

Thanks ladies!

Rohini
x
Roberta Murray

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:30:32 pm »

I disagree with what you say Christine. I'm 45. Very busy and hate drama of any kind. I love Twitter because of those facts. I can go on and in just a couple of seconds post an update about what's new, latest print, special promotion, or whatever I want. I am under no obligation to stick around and have a conversation or anything else. Facebook and some of those other social networking sites, to me, equals high drama - a gossip chain which I don't have time for.

On Twitter, I can use my target market and follow the people who are most likely to be interested in my art. As an example, one of the themes of my artwork is birds, so I have joined some bird watching groups on Twitter. I am interested in what they have to say, and they are (hopefully) interested in my work.

I equate Twitter to standing in an auditorium and jumping up for a second holding a sign that says "hello, here I am".

Cheers,
Roberta
http://www.uncommondepth.com
http://www.twitter.com/uncommon_depth
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:55:49 am »

I just want the whole world to know that I have actually started twittering but Galeria Linda stressed I should stay with like minded people that are relevant to my business and not to bother following the beach twinkies.

It is alllllllllll starting to make sense now Smiley LOLOLOLOLOL
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »

Roberta... you're an inspiration.  I have done some research and learning this tweet stuff.... I'm convinced enough to try it.  In fact already it has increased my views and some queries for pillows.

Here is an excellent article from http://www.sitepronews.com  It says
the largest user group on Twitter is 35-49 year olds.... hey... that's me... well almost  Smiley

They had a POLL QUESTION: If you represent a business using Twitter, what is your/their *main* reason for doing so?

* Branding 7%
    * Driving traffic 23%
    * Reputation management 7%
    * SEO 0%
    * Internal communications 0%
    * News / product announcements 11%
    * Service status updates 2%
    * Customer interaction 37%
    * Fun 5%
    * Other 9%

The majority of companies who took this poll are using Twitter primarily to interact with their customers and drive traffic.

That would include all of us here on icraft.

In Bootcamp 2 we will be focusing more on using Twitter... I am going to be bringing in some expert advice.  sign up for a front row seat...

Read the full article at...

http://www.sitepronews.com/2009/06/21/how-twitter-is-teaching-business-the-lost-art-of-conversation/comment-page-1/#comment-10951
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  The cool kid on the block...
Jump to:  
Click