Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Photography Advice  >  Photo Advice - post queries here please!
Pages: [1]
Author

Photo Advice - post queries here please!

Eyeshoot Photography

« on: May 19, 2009, 09:25:48 am »

Hello Bootcampers!

Please post any photo queries in this thread,

Thanks,
Sarah
StudioduSoleil

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51:37 pm »

Thank you for your offer to help! I would like more consistency in my photos, particularly lighting. I have a light tent but am having a very difficult time getting the lighting to work for me. Hubby and I have tried goosenecks, shop halogens, etc but haven't found a great setup yet. Do you have suggestions for wattage and placement of lights? I have the tent setup in a fairly dark room (laundry room) because I have 3 children and don't want them interfering with it. For now I'm using natural light (by a window) but would love to make the change for shop consistency! I'm shooting with a Panasonic Lumix FX35 on macro mode with no flash (some of my older pics are with my old Pentax Optio). I also have a Pentax K10D I could learn to use (husbands camera) but really I would prefer to continue with the point and shoot option rather than have to pass the learning curve of a DSLR.
Loopy4ewe

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:20:43 pm »

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to look for that program...right now I don't edit any of my pictures.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:29:05 pm »

ANGLE QUESTION:

I photograph with a slanted window with afternoon, sometimes setting, sun - it's all the daylight I've got.  I have issues not casting a shadow on my own product when standing over it.  I not prop it up against a box covered with my black pillowcase.

However, if I put the back of the box to the window, the product is in shadow.  If I put it the other way, I make a shadow.  So, I think some sort of side angle is best.  Any advice on how much?  Should my product be 90 degrees to the window?  30?

Thanks.
Eyeshoot Photography

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:41:12 am »

Quote from: "StudioduSoleil"
Thank you for your offer to help! I would like more consistency in my photos, particularly lighting. I have a light tent but am having a very difficult time getting the lighting to work for me. Hubby and I have tried goosenecks, shop halogens, etc but haven't found a great setup yet. Do you have suggestions for wattage and placement of lights? I have the tent setup in a fairly dark room (laundry room) because I have 3 children and don't want them interfering with it. For now I'm using natural light (by a window) but would love to make the change for shop consistency! I'm shooting with a Panasonic Lumix FX35 on macro mode with no flash (some of my older pics are with my old Pentax Optio). I also have a Pentax K10D I could learn to use (husbands camera) but really I would prefer to continue with the point and shoot option rather than have to pass the learning curve of a DSLR.

You don't mention that you're using a tripod which is an essential tool for any photographer and could mean that you can forget about expensive lighting setups as you can use a longer exposure and get more light into the camera that way.  Even better is to use a remote trigger or failing that, just set the self timer.

I'm afraid that I can't advise on wattage - I just use the bulbs which came with my kit http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/BW3385UK/ This is a tabletop kit with two lamps and a light-tent which would be ideal for jewellery photography. For consistency, it's just a matter of finding a result you like and making notes of the set up and sticking to it.  Practice really does make perfect!

I can't recommend delicate use of photo editing software - almost every picture I use gets a tweak in Adobe Lightroom and if it needs it, in Photoshop CS4.  I think the photos in your shop look fine, by the way!

Sarah
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 01:37:00 pm »

I had a query in here please re: best angle from natural light source.
Eyeshoot Photography

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:35:03 pm »

Hello Ensorcelled Minds,

If you're constantly getting shadows and you've tried all angles, you may need to use reflectors.  Some white foam core placed to the side of your object will bounce the light back onto it and remove the shadows. Try moving it around for the best position.

I hope this helps,
Sarah
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:29:51 pm »

Thanks, Sarah!

I'd have never thought of foam core!
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »

Some white foam core placed to the side of your object will bounce the light back onto it and remove the shadows. Try moving it around for the best position.

That is a great idea!!

I am afraid I am not as advanced as you all and my camera is a Canon point and shoot but it does have pretty good (basic) manual settings.

My "photo studo" is rigged up from stuff around the house. I am like McGyver (remember that TV detective that could blow up a nuclear plant with a paper clip and chewing gum ... lol!).

I have heavy drafting paper (like heavy tracing paper) clipped to window blinds so it is free flowing and comes down to the surface. I have an upside down pyrex plate as my stage (so light can filter under a bit). So, on days with good light, some photos come out pretty good. Others can be grainy and grey (not enought light) so I am going to try the foam core board.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Naturliche

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:29:26 pm »

Good idea on the glass plate underneath.
I've been using just some white poster board and photographing on that with some dark river rocks for contrast.

The pics look great on the camera, but once I get the posts up - I'm not sure I like them.  

I would love some feedback if anyone wants to give me some critisism!!

I have a canon rebel dslr and needing to figure out how to use it properly.  I tried adjusting the white balance but that is not working so good.  I get darker pictures......

:oops:
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 06:58:32 pm »

naturliche, your photos are interesting and enticing!! I would say that photo editing a little is what you need to do.

I edit every one of my photos - sometimes extensively. Do you have any photo editing software? Look in this list in the marketing forum - there are several free ones.

https://icraftgifts.com/forum/852/list-of-free-business-and-graphic-software-and-utilities/
DavidRunyan

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »

Some white foam core placed to the side of your object will bounce the light back onto it and remove the shadows. Try moving it around for the best position.

That is a great idea!!

I am afraid I am not as advanced as you all and my camera is a Canon point and shoot but it does have pretty good (basic) manual settings.

My "photo studo" is rigged up from stuff around the house. I am like McGyver (remember that TV detective that could blow up a nuclear plant with a paper clip and chewing gum ... lol!).

I have heavy drafting paper (like heavy tracing paper) clipped to window blinds so it is free flowing and comes down to the surface. I have an upside down pyrex plate as my stage (so light can filter under a bit). So, on days with good light, some photos come out pretty good. Others can be grainy and grey (not enought light) so I am going to try the foam core board.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

well, Linda, here's an example of what i do with a little canon point & shoot
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »

well, Linda, here's an example of what i do with a little canon point & shoot

Wow, David. That is amazing. Point & Shoot cameras these days are becoming more sophisticated too. Thanks for sharing your photo. It is inspiring to learn more about my camera.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Photography Advice  >  Photo Advice - post queries here please!
Jump to:  
Click