Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Website Suggestions  >  Google Analytics
Pages: [1]
Author

Google Analytics

Radically Riley

« on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:10 am »

Would it be possible to add google analytics as an optional add on for shops on icraft?  I just added the application to my Etsy shop and got some very cool data regarding where my traffic came from, what they looked at once they got there, how long they stayed, and whether or not they were there for the first time.
Moyra, Still trying to figure out if/who she has as a market
iCraft Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:24 pm »

Yes, I saw news about etsy adding Google analytics. We've been looking at this too. Not sure yet if we'll add Google analytics or some other tool, but definitely stats will be added in a near future.
As far as I know, Google analytics is quite good and many people are already familiar with the tool. I think it's the matter of implementation and making it easy for people to get relevant data with minimum steps.
I'd be interested to know if you thought it was easy to use Google analytics on etsy and if anything could be implemented differently.
Radically Riley

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:36:43 pm »

It was very easy to use.  Once the code is embedded in the site, then each shop just goes through a few steps to set up a unique link.  Information is presented both graphically and as individual stats.  Several different kinds of reports can be seen in one click each, depending on what the person is interested in knowing.  I then went into my Facebook ads account, as they have really good target marketing, to see what kind of a report I could get.  I had been watching all along just to see my clicks and click through rate etc.  Their reports were not so helpful.  All I could get was sometimes where the person who clicked was from.
Moyra
iCraft Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:50:27 pm »

Great to hear that you had a good experience with the tool, Radically Riley. Actually, I was asking because I saw a post today on Twitter when someone complained about it. http://twitter.com/AliciaMae/status/1119495076
I was just curious to hear what you had to say.  :wink:
Radically Riley

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:56:08 am »

Sheesh!  She really has had a bad experience with trying to get it working on her Etsy page it seems.  Took me five minutes tops to set up.  I guess that's my good luck for the week! :lol:
Loopy4ewe

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:31:32 am »

I'd love to see this too and found it very easy to implement on both my other site and my blog.

It would be great to see some stats:)
Beadlam

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:26:27 am »

Yes, this would be great to have! I have it on another site - was easy to set up and have no complaints yet ... Provides a lot of very interesting information.
Beajoux

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:58:45 pm »

From what I've read regarding Google Analytics with Etsy, GA will only show how someone got to Etsy; how they arrived at a particular shop isn't available.
Radically Riley

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 06:34:11 am »

That would make sense, given that the code was applied to the Etsy site overall and not to each individual shop.  I still find the information quite interesting though, as I try to figure out my market.  The keywords people are using to search, whether they bring them directly to my shop or not, can help me to improve my tags.  So far what is most interesting to me is what items people spend the most time looking at.  Knowing the countries the potential customers come from, well I don't really think mt marketing is going to be that advanced to use the info any time soon, but I do find it fascinating.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:54:33 pm »

From what I've read regarding Google Analytics with Etsy, GA will only show how someone got to Etsy; how they arrived at a particular shop isn't available.

I am confused about this.  Wasn't it that the traffic SOURCES was subject to the above limitation?  But the actual VISITS to your shop, time of day, etc. were YOUR shop?

That makes a huge difference in the quality of GA to me.

If GA can analyze a particular shop (as opposed to the whole domain, like all of icraftgifts.com), then I'd be all for GA.  That way, sellers have one place to go to check on all their online presences at once.  If GA is limited, then, I don't see how much good it would be.
Radically Riley

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:31 am »

Yes the visits to your shop and all the statistics reported on your analytics page are specific to your particular shop.  I don't see a time of day anywhere, but again how many pages the visitor looked at, how long the spent looking, and what items they looked at are all there.  You can see what countries and cities they come from for target cost per click marketing.  The sources that directed the traffic to your shop however are non specific as to whether they landed directly in your shop or on the Etsy home page as far as I can see.  Same with the keywords.  I can see from some of the keywords used, that they must have gone to the homepage first, because those words would not have brought them to my shop, as I don't carry that particular product.  Some of the sources though I'm finding useful anyhow.  I belong to the online group Artists in Canada.  I think it cost about sixty bucks per year.  I see in the last week there are 9 referrals from Artists in Canada.  I suppose they could be going to the homepage, but more likely to my shop.  In any case, I now know this one is worthwhile to renew.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:38 pm »

Thanks for confirming that the visit stats are appropriate.

I learned from a blog posted in a thread in the Etsy business forums that you can see by time of day:

VISITORS -- VISITOR TRENDING -- VISITS
Then off to the far right, there are three square buttons.  The first one is a clock.  If you click it, it will change the graph to show time of day for your visits.

Some say that helps tell you when to relist, but I find my most frequent times of days are the times that I am on or right after I am on or right after I list.  So, when I'm not watching I guess my shop is dead!

SO, back to the OP - yes I'd rather have GA than some other thing for iCraft so that I can go to one central location and check all my stores out instead of having to log in to umpteen different sites to check.
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:11 am »

I don't know how Artfire is doing this, but they have google analytics that works for your specific shop.

PLUS, they provide the latest 50 inbound links to your shop in your backoffice in a list for you to review. I click on the inbound links that brought someone to the shop and I can see the actual google search list with search terms in the box! That is an awesome thing to know and I have no idea how they do that.

It is far superior to Etsy's solution.

I say as iCraft grows, providing effective stats is essential. Many shop owners will use this resource to target their promotions.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Website Suggestions  >  Google Analytics
Jump to:  
Click