Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Local Finds & Upcoming Shows  >  How do you organize your jewelry?
Pages: [1]
Author

How do you organize your jewelry?

Jenny

« on: August 20, 2008, 11:20:03 pm »

I have a lot of jewelry purchased at various boutiques and some even here on iCraft. I wonder if anyone has a good system of organizing their jewelry. Have anyone seen good jewelry organizers where all items could be easily viewed at a glance? Any ideas on the best way to organize different jewelry items?

I tried separate boxes to keep earrings, from necklaces and rings, but then I keep forgetting I have a matching piece somewhere in a separate box. I was thinking to reorganize things into groups of matching items. Not sure if that will work either, as there is a cross over between matching items. Almost anything can be matched, depending on the outfit.

Keeping all chains and necklaces together proved to be useless, as they all tangle in impossible knots. Grrr... so frustrating.  :evil:

Usually I end up wearing the same things every day, though it doesn't stop me from buying more jewelry.  :wink:
beadznthingz

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:32:32 am »

Hi Jenny,

I am always pleased to meet a jewelry addict. :lol:

I keep my jewelry organized in a clear plastic craft organizer box. These have a bunch of different sectioned compartments which prevents items from getting tangled up together, and they also have lids so that your jewelry doesn't spill out allover. I bought mine at Walmart, but I think they are quite readily available wherever craft supplies are sold.

Also, if you want something a bit smaller (and much, much more attractive), check out this shop:

https://icraftgifts.com/3-bags-anda-tote

I am definitely treating myself to one of her items soon! Cheesy

Janice

https://icraftgifts.com/beadz-n-thingz
Beadlam

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:01:47 pm »

I'm probably the only jewelry maker in the world who doesn't wear jewelry (well, I do wear my wedding ring), so I'm not overflowing with personal jewelry.  However, I do have to keep all the jewelry I make accessible - and I do it with different sizes of baggies.

Much of my work is at least in part with sterling silver. Baggies are a very useful way of keeping tarnish at bay - it helps keep out air, moisture and other irritants that can affect metals. (Even better, add an anti-tarnish strip - or a pice of chalk - to the baggie for even more protection.) In addition, the baggies keep your jewelry clean and, by keeping one piece of jewelry per baggie, prevents tangles and scratches. Finally, because baggies are clear, you can easily see what you have.

I keep different types of jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc.) in different drawers - if I feel the drawer is getting too full to easily see what I have, I add another drawer. The baggies also provide cushioning, so nothing is crushed.

It may not be the prettiest way to keep things, but I find it very practical and inexpensive.

Leanne
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 05:39:38 pm »

Hi Jenny - I too am befuddled with handling my personal jewelry. Also, when I make things, I just keep way too much of it!!

Like Beadlam, I just use those little ziploc plastic craft bags but Beadz had a great idea that I might look into.

Other than that - I have been wishing for one of those jewelry armoire furniture pieces - but I would need to review them carefully to be sure they had substantial compartments, etc.. but they do have drawers and swing out sides for chains.

Like these but maybe bigger? http://www.jewelryarmoire.com/?source=googleaw&kwid=jewelry%20armoire&tid=exact
Jenny

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 11:13:02 pm »

Oh wow, thanks for all the great ideas!

I don't think I am at the point when I need Jewelry Armoires (interesting idea nonetheless), though I do like Wall Mounted Armoires. http://www.jewelryarmoire.com/jewelry-armoires/wall-mounted/199+4978+4293862496.cfm
What a great thing! I didn't know they existed. I like how you can easily scan all the pieces and then there is a mirror on other side. I just don't have a place for it in my small condo.

I like the travel totes from 3_bags_anda_tote. I might actually get one for travelling purposes, but that doesn't solve my problem of organizing jewelry at home.

I also saw this great Stained Glass Jewelry Box on iCraft #page has been deleted# I like that it's see through. The only thing - it doesn't have compartments for different types of Jewelry... Hmmm, decisions, decisions.   :?
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:36 am »

I forgot to mention!! the US TV home shopping channel, http://www.hsn.com has these great stackable jewelry boxes with clear tops. They have anti-tarnish interiors too!!

There are different configurations for slots for earrings, watches, necklaces, etc... but here is a start:
http://jewelry.hsn.com/colleens-prestige-2-piece-jewelry-box-set_p-3684452_xp.aspx?sz=0&cat=&dept=&sf=&gs=&subcat=&attr=&o=-RI&ocm=sekw

These are a GREAT solution.

Linda
Jenny

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:55:49 pm »

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the link! I really like those boxes with clear top. I think this will work for me. I am going to order a couple of those. They are really life-savers!
Too bad nobody here makes them. I'd prefer to buy a handmade product.
Anyway, thanks again!  Smiley
Jenny

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 12:27:51 am »

Hello ladies,

I wanted to give you an update on my quest for the perfect jewelry organizer.

I went to hsn.com yesterday to buy those stackable jewelry boxes only to find out that they don't ship outside US. And that's after I finally made up my mind on what I want! (that took some time, you know  :roll:  )

Such a bummer! I don't get it. How can you have a site without offering international shipping? I was so disappointed. I even wrote them a letter complaining about it (which is not me normally. I am not a complainer).   :wink:

So here is their response, which wasn't helpful at all:

"We have received your e-mail regarding a product you want to purchase.
My name is Ken and I will be happy to assist you with this issue.

If you would like to order from HSN, you may want to consider having a friend or relative within the United States place the order(s) for you.  They could have the merchandise shipped directly to their address and then forward it on to you.

For further information about international orders, please check out our international HSN web sites at the following web addresses:
Austria      www.hse24.de
Switzerland     www.hse24.com
Japan            www.shopch.jp

We appreciate your interest in HSN and hope that the above options are helpful
."

So someone from Japan can buy their products and I am from Canada can't. Does that make sense? Sorry for all this ramble. I just couldn't believe this.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Local Finds & Upcoming Shows  >  How do you organize your jewelry?
Jump to:  
Click