Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  How do you price your photo prints?
Pages: [1]
Author

How do you price your photo prints?

Maple Leaf

« on: August 04, 2008, 12:19:23 am »

I looked around and see that most photographers here price their prints quite low. Just wonder how do you make money on prints at low prices? Do most of you have good printers at home or print limited number of same prints to make individual prints cheaper? I use print house and can't see how I can make my prints cheaper. Also, does anyone have success selling prints considering that so many people now have good cameras?
Jenny

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 11:36:34 pm »

Good questions, Maple Leaf! I am also interested in hearing the answers...
Roberta Murray

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:48:43 pm »

I use a simple formula based on the cost of the print. Gallery prints are larger and correspondingly more expensive. Photography is a tough sell, especially online.

Not to be discouraging, but I looked at your site and think maybe you should look around for different printing companies. There are a lot of professional printers that would allow you to still make a profit and price your prints lower.

Cheers,
Roberta
Jenny

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:23 am »

Could you please share your simple formula, Roberta?  :?:  Any suggestions on which printing companies to use for larger prints? Thanks!
Roberta Murray

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:48:15 am »

I meant simple formula as in cost times x%. I have pricing tiers. A wholesale cost, a direct from me price, and a gallery price which is my direct price plus gallery commission (which is usually 50%).

Printers really depend on what you are print. If you are just making regular photographic prints Costco does a good job and are very price competitive.  Camera Canada has both a regular print lab and a pro lab with a few more print options than Costco. If you are wanting giclee prints I'd highly recommend Derek Copper at Reproducing Art http://www.reproducingart.ca/printing/. There are lots of other places to have printing done though.

When I first started selling prints I invested quite a bit of time and money looking for printers and testing their quality. I suggest anyone interested in making a career of it does the same thing, and do your own research. What worked for me might not for you; or you might find someone doing as good of job for a better price, or someone more local to you that you can work with face to face (always a great option!), etc.

The internet is a great resource and a google search will usually turn up loads of places to investigate.

Cheers,
Roberta
Jenny

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 12:14:36 pm »

Great advise, Roberta! I didn't know about the Costco. I'll check them out. You are right about doing your own research and finding out local places to work with. Thanks!
Maple Leaf

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:29:36 am »

Thanks Roberta! Those are great tips! You sound very knowledgeable.
I have another question. What do you use to make your photos look like paintings? Is it photoshop? I really like the effects you use.
Mark Daye Photography

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:07 pm »

Generally I price photos by what I paid for printing/shipping and double it.  I use Apple's service and they print on Kodak paper, I am very happy with their service time, quality, etc.  I also use a local print/framing shop in Toronto and I do the same thing with pricing.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  How do you price your photo prints?
Jump to:  
Click