Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  General Discussion  >  >> Has Craft Fairs been a Success or not??
Pages: [1]
Author

>> Has Craft Fairs been a Success or not??

normas bath and body

« on: April 06, 2008, 02:34:30 pm »

Hey guys..
you tell me.. Is the craft fairs worth doing? and is it a success or not?
your opinions.. GO!
~Norma
normas bath and body

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 04:29:52 pm »

anyone?? :cry:
~Norma
nicaeli

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:37:52 pm »

I do a few in my area and I find that it is the success of the show is really dependent on the location, time of year and advertising.  I live in a small rural community and craft shows are usually more of an event to get out and socialize.  The only time I have really made sales at a show is during the holiday season when people are really looking for gifts.  I like doing craft shows more as a way to gauge what people think of my items and if they might possibly sell down the line.  I am getting ready for a small show this month, it should be interesting to see what happens. Cheesy
Marys Garden

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:58:21 am »

Right now craft shows are my main source of income for my beading habit.  I don't do very many because I have small children at home so travelling too far away just isn't possible.  I do about three major shows a year, plus about four more small community things.  Then a nearby community has a small farmers/artists market all summer.

I wouldn't say that I get a really good return on the amount of work I have to put into them, as far as money goes.  But the exposure is good, plus I really like being able to talk to people about my creations.  I sell in a couple of shops also, and I miss that part.  Plus I don't think customers really understand the value of the craftsmanship, gemstones, etc., because there is no one there to "sell" it.

And, not all craft shows are created equal.  As nicaeli said, location, dates, advertising as well as organizers and types of vendors all make a big difference.  For myself, jewelry vendors seem to be a dime a dozen these days.  While we may have different styles, shoppers get pretty tired of anything after they've been to the twentieth jewelry booth!  I think that's why I generally do better with my rosaries and stuff like that - I'm usually the only one with those!
CurlySue

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 06:06:19 am »

I do a regular craft fair once a month. I've been doing it for about a year now and they keep getting better and better.
I noticed a big difference in sales once I had some really professional customised tags added to my jewellery rather than the little white swing tags anyone can get at their local newsagent!
Funny that it made a difference but it seemed to.
I have quite a few regular customers and also get a lot of custom work from them.
I love it!
Destinys Creations

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:16:41 am »

They have definitely been worth it for me.

As with everything you have to know your audience...I discovered a town in my state that I had no idea was so artsy and did a small church art show and did amazing.  I went in with no expectations and it was my best show to date.  I am taking notes along the way and try to research the demographics.  This was a juried a show and I find that I do better in juried shows than non-juried show.  

This doesn't mean I won't do a non-juried craft fair some you can do really well in.  I did one in December that was quite surprising...it was so well worth it, but like everything (there are good ones and there are bad ones).
designs by vickyvk

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:21:07 am »

I have yet to do a 'good' craft show. I did two small church type ones which were diasastrous. This past weekend I did a larger one and it wasn't so good either, there were quite a few other jewelers to compete with. They didn't do so well either.

Has anyone done jewelry parties? I am having my first at the end of this month and hope to do well. There seems to be interest... I've heard that these can go well.
MandalaDesignStudio

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:15:57 am »

I haven't held a jewelry party in my home yet. I have thought about and would love to hear how your party goes. Keep us posted!

~Jessi~
designs by vickyvk

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:29:30 am »

Actually someone else hosts it. She has it in her home and invites people and provides the food and drinks. I just come with my stuff and a couple games (with prizes). The hostess receives a gift certificate. I will be giving her $25 and then more depending on how much I sell for that evening.

It's in two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.
Beadlam

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 01:35:27 pm »

I do craft shows and generally do fairly well. It seems that there are less people shopping the "higher level" craft fairs each year. However, since I'm not making my living with my craft, I find I do well enough to keep doing them. And I love getting out and talking to customers - and the fact that they can actually handle the work is a plus. Craft fairs can be a lot of work, and you never know how you're going to do. For that reason, I stick fairly close to home and try for one-day shows (rather than the whole weekend) if I can find them.
masonscottage

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:16:56 am »

Hi,
 I have been doing craft shows for the past 20+ years and that last few years, most have been disappointing as the economy in US is steadily going down. You have to do your homework and research the shows, some are good and some are not.  
 I think the home party idea may be the way to go, little cost and interested customers.  I still do about 1 show a month and  now mostly sell on line. I love not having to pack up my Truck :lol:
annettepiper

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 02:37:25 am »

I sell the majority of my work in person at shows.  

Don't feel limited at the type of show - you are after the people that are attending the show.  For example I do a jazz festival - although the numbers attending aren't huge, they are a captive audience and keep milling around and around and eventually succumb!  

I avoid markets/small general type fairs as my prices aren't suitable for such a venue.   But small art/craft artisan-based fairs are good.   As a rule juried type shows do better for me than an all-sellers-welcome one.

My biggest problem is that I am in a rural area and shows are few and far between.
CurlySue

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 06:26:35 am »

Just a follow up...

I have done several home parties and they have always gone really well. People are there to buy, you have no competition and just before Xmas is always fabulous.

I had a craft market today and it was my best one yet (Ive been doing this particular one for about a year).

I think you need to establish yourself if you are doing a regular fair. Research the demographic and take along items that will suit your clientele.

Presentation is really important, make your stall the best it can be, sometimes less is more!
SassySessories

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 01:50:12 pm »

here in the states they go well if you pick the well known ones.  price of gas is high here (well for us anyway) and the economy sucks so shoppers have turned into lookers unless it is something they really "need".  I keep doing them because it only takes a couple of really good sales to at least break even.  I haven't had any sales here yet so it is a good way to keep my business out there and network.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  General Discussion  >  >> Has Craft Fairs been a Success or not??
Jump to:  
Click