Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Member Updates & Newbie Intros  >  Never Stop Learning
Pages: [1]
Author

Never Stop Learning

Shellys Handmade Creations

« on: May 29, 2020, 06:05:10 pm »

Soap Fun 😊 After several weeks of trying to figure out how to knit a soap cozy, I can honestly say I am happy with the end results. In crafting there are many challenges and one of those for me as learning to crochet. For many years I avoided any yarn patterns that included crochet. I love knitting but could not for the life of me  understand how to crochet. So, for the past two weeks I watched videos on how to do this (thank goodness for the pause, play, back and forward buttons ) LOL. I only learned the basics, - but I learned! I had fun too. I guess it is never too late to teach an old dog (me) new tricks. Never stop learning

Maple Leaf

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 12:36:19 pm »

That's the right attitude, Shelly! Thanks for sharing  Grin

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 03:47:38 pm »

Thank you 😊
LisaGold

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:29:20 am »

Good for you! Knitting is one thing that I can't do, as I have no patience and can't sit still for too long.   Roll Eyes

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:55:27 am »

Thank you LisaGold! I wanted to upload a picture of the completed soap cozy, but I didn’t know how (LOL) I guess this will be my next learning assignment  Smiley Have a beautiful day!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 02:55:40 pm »

Congrats!

I watched a TedTalk on learning. Our brain is a muscle and learning is what exercises it - not recall, like word puzzles. Learning NEW things. This creates NEW connections in our brains. So, the more you learn, the more you combat the possibility of dementia and Alzheimer's. Those conditions involve a break down in our brains' connections that make you unable to retrieve information. But, the more your learn new things, the more connections you build, so if one breaks down, there's a detour route ready to take to you the information you're trying to reach!

Learning is actually a big part of my career. I am soooo thankful for that! I truly believe creativity and crafting is a fantastic learning platform for our brains too.

P.S. I also read that music is also a powerful brain stimulator. Learning to play an instrument was many more times effective at stimulation than just listening too.  Smiley

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 05:35:48 pm »

Thank you Fairy Cardmaker for the words of encouragement! My husband is a musician (a side hobby) and has tried to teach me how to play the guitar...no such luck (Lol). But at least I gave it a tried  Wink
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Member Updates & Newbie Intros  >  Never Stop Learning
Jump to:  
Click