Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Questions Related to the Website  >  Creating A New Shipping Profile While Listing A New Product
Pages: [1]
Author

Creating A New Shipping Profile While Listing A New Product

CreativeXpression1

« on: September 22, 2019, 08:37:42 pm »

Hello,

I have a question regarding listing a new product and having to create a new shipping profile at the same time. I had entered all my info for the product, but realized I needed to create a new shipping profile when I got to that section on the listing page. I clicked "create new profile here" link. I created the shipping profile, but then was unable to get back to the listing page to select the newly created shipping profile. I lost all the product info I'd just entered and had to start over.  Sad Is there a way to return to listing page after creating a new shipping profile for a specific product without losing all the listing info just entered? If that isn't possible at this time, could this be considered/incorporated into the newly designed site? Thank you for your help! Blessings ~ Rita
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:26:12 am »

Hi Rita,
I think you lost your listing because you didn't save it at the end.
I didn't realize that the link to creating a new profile didn't open in a new window.  Roll Eyes We'll fix that soon. Sorry about that! It's still better to create a new shipping profile first and then create a new listing.
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:17:26 pm »

Hello,

No, I didn't save it before creating the shipping profile. The link to creating a new shipping profile goes directly to the shipping profile page - in essence replacing the listing page instead of opening in a new window. Sorry if I didn't explain myself well enough. I agree that it's better to create the shipping profile first before the listing. Should've checked that before trying to list the product. Still in the learning curve.  Grin
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:57:09 am »

Hi Rita,
It wasn't your fault. That link should've opened in a new window. We fixed it now. Thanks for pointing that out!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:04:29 pm by iCraft Admin »
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:02:05 pm »

Hello,

Thank you and you're most welcome! Will try it out the next time I need to create a new shipping profile when listing a new product. One more question if I may...Any additional updates on the new Supplies Marketplace? Thanks again..... Blessings ~ Rita
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 03:48:30 pm »

Hi Rita,

Yes, please, don't hesitate to ask us any questions!  Cool

In terms of the updates on the new platform and the launch of new niche marketplaces (for crafting supplies, indigenous arts and sports memorabilia), a lot has been done, but we are fundraising right now, as we need a bit more money to complete development work on the MVP (minimum viable product). Once we complete the work on the new platform, we'll be able to re-launch iCraft and launch all 3 new marketplaces (in Beta initially).

We were thinking recently of doing a crowd-funding campaign and engaging the community to raise the funding we need. Not sure if this a good idea and crow-funding campaigns are usually a lot of work, but the timing seems to be right, as many people are looking for alternatives to current eCommerce platforms. What are your thoughts on the crowd-funding option?

We'll try to communicate our progress in more detail and more often, so you guys have a better visibility into what's coming next.

The key things we are trying to achieve with the new platform is to make it seller-friendly, especially for niche product sellers (artists, crafters, collectors and small businesses).

What we mean by that:
- Create affordable & sustainable option for niche sellers
- Not competing with sellers
- No wholesale or mass-produced (except for crafting supplies)
- Sellers would have full ownership of customer data 
- We'll share marketplace insights with sellers to position them better for success
- Streamline listing (and shopping) process
- Build new marketing tools to help sellers with promotions and sales
- Reward & empower sellers through loyalty & incentives programs
- Offer community marketplace support

By the way, buyer-friendly is a given. We believe niche marketplaces will better serve both buyers and sellers of unique niche items.
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 03:19:29 pm »

Hello,

Okay, I won't hesitate to ask any questions.  Smiley

Thank you for the extensive update. In another update post here in the forums on the Supplies Marketplace, I thought I'd read hat this new platform could be up and running within a month. Maybe I'm confusing the update post with the post on updating fees. Just excited to begin listing my bead/jewelry supplies and other craft related supplies. I'd submitted the requested photos and inventory list for the supplies I'll be listing on the site. From what I understand, the requested photos were to be used in the website development of the new site. Not sure if they were used as I'd not heard if they were or not.

As far as crowd-funding...I've heard of it, but not really sure how it works, so until I learn a bit more about crowd-funding, I'll hold off on giving an opinion. There are a few thoughts that flashed through my mind though when "engaging the community" in a crowdfunding campaign. Keep in mind my thoughts stem in part from the approach Etsy took and still does take when it "engages it community of sellers." I'm not saying that iCraft conducts business in the same way --- far from it. It's just that sellers here on iCraft who have also been sellers on Etsy have had to endure (even for a time) Etsy's forcibly tactical approach to changing its policies for sellers. With that in mind, there might be some former Etsy sellers who may shy away from or avoid participating in a current or future event here on iCraft if it reminds them too much of what we experienced when selling on Etsy. Now, to share the thoughts that flashed through my mind as I read the phrase "engaging the community" in a crowdfunding campaign...

1. Would you share a post to explain exactly how a crowdfunding campaign works since some in the community might not be familiar with it?
2. What are the benefits for sellers when participating?
3. Are there any disadvantages/risks for the sellers who participate?
4. How do the laws for crowdfunding in Canada differ from the United States? I would think U.S. sellers would want to know this prior to participating.
5. What else should community members know about crowdfunding?
6. At the end of the post, community members should have a more thorough understanding of what crowdfunding is and how it works. Then, maybe have community members post a reply if they're interested in participating in a crowdfunding campaign. There might be a larger response if community members fully understand a crowdfunding campaign.

I truly believe community members will really appreciate more frequent detailed communication on the progress for the new marketplace platforms. Again, for those of us who have sold on Etsy, admin would share an endeavor, then weeks, months or maybe longer would pass without any updates. Better visibility and more frequent communication helps to quell sellers' uncertainties into "what's coming next."

I truly applaud you for the key things trying to be achieved with the new platform. The list below is fantastic! Making a platform seller-friendly is, in my humble opinion, always the best way to go, particularly when the platform relies on its sellers to help the owner(s) grow the platform. When a site is seller-friendly, the sellers are not only happy, but excited to list/showcase their products. I might not be explaining it well, but I tend to view a seller friendly platform as a co-equal partnership between the owner of the platform and the seller. If the owner disregards the needs of its sellers, sellers won't stay on that platform for very long, but when the owner of the platform keeps the needs of its sellers in mind, this shows sellers the owner cares about them and sellers tend to stay where they are "cared for". It also goes without saying, that buyers will return again and again to the platform that is also buyer friendly.

I've read back through my reply before posting. Was initially going to revise a few paragraphs here and there, but decided to leave it as first written, which are the thoughts coming straight from my heart. Again, I applaud you for the hard work being done on the new platform (s). Looking forward to the next update....

Blessings ~ Rita
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 02:02:13 pm »

Hi Rita,
Thank you for your detailed feedback and for your vote of confidence! I really appreciate that  Kiss
I'll start a separate forum thread regarding crowd-funding, so others could easily find and follow the discussion.
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 07:09:32 pm »

Hello Administrator,

Thank you and you're most welcome for the vote of confidence. Thanks also for starting a separate crowd-funding forum thread. I'm interested, but would like learn more about it.

Blessings ~ Rita
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 05:45:03 pm »

Hello Administrator,

Did I miss the separate forum thread regarding crowd-funding or hasn't it yet been started?

Blessings ~ Rita
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 11:41:15 pm »

Hi Rita,
Sorry, we are still working on our crowdfunding campaign and I am working on a really lengthy blog post right now, trying to explain where we are at today and where we plan to go. Need a few more days!  Roll Eyes
Thank you for your patience!
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 06:37:13 pm »

Hello Administrator,

Thank you for the update. Sorry, if my excitement comes across as "impatient." Just simply wanted to follow up.  Smiley

Blessings ~ Rita
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 11:02:24 pm »

Hi Rita,
I like the enthusiasm!  Kiss
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 12:38:36 pm »

We were thinking recently of doing a crowd-funding campaign and engaging the community to raise the funding we need. Not sure if this a good idea and crow-funding campaigns are usually a lot of work, but the timing seems to be right, as many people are looking for alternatives to current eCommerce platforms. What are your thoughts on the crowd-funding option?

I didn't see the additional thread yet either, so I'll just make a quick'n'dirty explanation here.

Crowdfunding is where MANY people invest a little bit to fund a particular goal. It can take the form of:
  • Debt - the recipient will pay the funders back (with or without interest) - this allows a recipient to obtain financing from non-traditional methods. Instead of going to the bank and asking for $100,000, you go to the "crowd" and ask 100,000 people for $1.
  • Shares or other ownership options - this is an alternative to an initial public offering. Your funders acquire some kind of  stake in your entity.
  • Deposits/Prepayment - Your funders acquire the right to the first units produced or are first in line for a service or get to pay some discounted price. For example, iCraft could say the amount of your pledge goes towards your subscription cost on the new site.

These examples are just ones pulled from my head. There are MANY MANY ways to structure crowdfunding for each of the three options I've shown and there are probably more than 3 options too. Charities use it as well. (For example, I donated the annual total of the charitable collections from my in-person card-making classes to a crowd-funded dog hip surgery once for a dog that was having trouble getting adopted because of the need for surgery. In that case, I get nothing as a funder. (OR... can't recall if charities can issue receipts for that. I forget.))

So, whether I would participate in crowdfunding depends on how it is structured and what value you propose in exchange for my dollars.

Something from what CreativeXpression1 (Rita) said...
I agree - sellers to have feel like THEY come first, and not the all mighty dollar. So, I think the ideal structure is:
  • If sellers do well, iCraft does well
AND
  • If iCraft does well, sellers do well
(NOTE: Presumably, if buyers enjoy the experience, iCraft or Sellers or both will do well. So buyer considerations are a must in both of those bullet points.)

So, right now, Etsy can do well without helping the majority of sellers do well. They are missing the second piece. iCraft has an opportunity to align seller and iCraft goals. I'm thinking about how profit-sharing with your employer works. If the employer earns a profit, a piece of that (based on some calculation) goes into a profit-sharing pool and that pool gets distributed (based on another calculation) to the employees. I'm not saying that's what we need to do - I'm just using that example to illustrate a "mutually beneficial" outcome. Crowdfunding *could* play a part in that, or it could be a totally separate design.

The difference between "mutually beneficial" and publicly owned enterprises is that the shareholders also dip into the profit pool. What makes money for them might not always be beneficial for the employees. (This is simplified. Clearly if a corp does well, the employees can indirectly benefit too by better wages or benefits or whatever. And some public companies also have bonuses and profit-sharing, so I'm just giving a very simple comparison.) My comparison is that, if I worked my butt off and the company turned around and shared my hard work with someone else (i.e. shareholders who funded my salary by investing in the corp in the first place but otherwise sit on their haunches to wait for a return) I would feel a little bit short-changed if I didn't also see *some* kind benefit from that hard work. Direct benefits often feel more tangible than indirect ones is what I'm trying to say.

**edited** I misquoted who made me think of the good for sellers and good for iCraft comment.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:46:16 pm by Fairy Cardmaker »
CreativeXpression1

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 02:59:58 pm »

Thank you, Fairy Cardmaker for your post on "crowd funding." Your explanation helps!! I've been periodically searching the community blog & forum for the "separate forum thread regarding crowd-funding, so others could easily find and follow the discussion." I haven't yet seen this forum thread promised by admin back in September. Hopefully, iCraft Admin will soon post that separate forum thread detailing their visionary steps for crowd-funding regarding the new Supplies Marketplace or at the very least provide an update on the status of the Supplies Marketplace. Blessings ~Rita
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Questions Related to the Website  >  Creating A New Shipping Profile While Listing A New Product
Jump to:  
Click