Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Member Updates & Newbie Intros  >  Is Yarn Just Yarn?
Pages: [1]
Author

Is Yarn Just Yarn?

Shellys Handmade Creations

« on: July 22, 2019, 09:05:53 pm »

Recently I had a great opportunity to showcase my knitted women’s accessories and home decor accents at a local craft fair. As some of you may know, I believe knitting is for all seasons (Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall).  For the Spring and Summer seasons, I usually knit with a lightweight acrylic or cotton yarn. For the Fall and Winter seasons I usually knit with either a heavy weight acrylic, wool or wool blend yarn.  What I noticed from potential customers visiting my booth is that although they complimented my products some felt that it was too hot to focus on these knitted goods. To the visual eye is yarn just yarn?  What are your thoughts…
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:03:26 am by Shellys Handmade Creations »
MsRainesSewingRoom

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:35:11 pm »

When I decided to make my crocheted neck scarves, Spring was already in full swing. I knew that I likely wouldn't sell any at this time of year
and I was right not even putting them on sale could move them at this time of year. I believe most people associate yarn with warmth, something to keep away the cold. I always hear people who would like to shop early to get their Christmas shopping over with early, but just can't think that way when it's hot outside.

I do how ever think maybe knitted and crochet bags and purses could be something you could do year round, using colors for each season,
Beach colors, beige sandy and blue water colors in Summer, Fall colors orange, browns , greens, red for fall,  Winter colors of red and green, white,
and Spring colors of yellow, lilac, light greens, light blues.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 12:01:15 am »

Thank you for the feedback Smiley

I have a few tote bags, beach bags, market bags currently in my product line. There were a lot of interest in the bags and I sold (my favorite) beach bag at the craft fair!

Have a wonderful evening.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:42:21 am »

My sister crochets a storm. She always gives her stuff away - often baby blankets with a matching doll to the hospitals. Even knowing that there are different yarns out there, YES, I absolutely think "warm" when I think "yarn". I picture scarfs, hats, mitts, and babies swaddled up.

I agree with the advice on doing non-wearables in warmer weather, like bags, dolls, and dish scrubbies.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 02:29:52 pm »

Thank you for the feedback! I have marketed my non-wearables at craft shows, boutique shops and through social media. Lots of interest and positive compliments...but no sales. I will have to rethink these going forward. Thank you again and happy holidays 😃
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Member Updates & Newbie Intros  >  Is Yarn Just Yarn?
Jump to:  
Click