Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  I'm new and would love a "starting out" critique please
Pages: [1]
Author

I'm new and would love a "starting out" critique please

Prairie Lane Boutique

« on: October 08, 2013, 09:33:19 am »

Hi there,

I'm new with my shop being just a few days old.  As I get my products added I was wondering if you could give me a starting out critique please?  https://icraftgifts.com/prairie-lane-boutique.  Perhaps I'm starting out and doing something wrong?  I currently sell on Etsy and have my own website, I'm very happy to be part of icraft.  

Thanks in advance,
Dawn
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:05:50 am by iCraft Admin »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 12:42:28 am »

Hi Dawn,

Welcome on board! We are happy to see more Canadian crafters joining our site.  Grin

At a quick glance, I don't see anything wrong with your store setup. I will mention one thing though - researching Keywords that better describe your products.

For example, in this Product Title The only thing better than having you for a Wife Quote you use word "Quote" to describe your product. However, you are selling signs on canvas, not quotes. I actually had to read product description to find out that its a canvas and not a wooden sign. Another thing is that people might not find that product, if they are using terms "Signs" on search engines.

I'd suggest reading some of the SEO-related posts on our forum, like Wrong Keywords attract wrong traffic or don’t attract any and Choosing Right Keywords is not a Guessing Game.

Hope this helps!
SarahMars

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:01:34 am »

I like your store, Dawn!  Nice photos and clear descriptions. Looks good to me.  Cool
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:28:50 am »

Hi Dawn,

Good lookin’ store.  But I do agree with Admin, you definitely need to refine the product titles.  They might be too long and using the actual quote is not a searchable keyword or description.  For instance, for this product: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/42325/if-you-live-to-be-a-hundred-winnie-the-pooh-quote-20-frame.php.   As a customer looking for a frame, I wouldn’t search for “If you live to be a hundred”, I would search keywords like, “wooden frame”, “winnie the pooh”, “kids wall art”, or “winnie the pooh frame”.

Your use of Holidays/Occasions are good.  The Store Collections can be tweaked a bit.  I do like the first 2 where you included sizing.  Maybe consider adding Kids, Family, Grandparents, Inspirational, Love/Romance, Picture Frames, Canvas Wall Art…categories that you think customers (or you as a customer) would search for.

Your photos are great, bright and clear.  I liked that you’ve used different backgrounds.  I’m not sure if including the weight of each piece in the product listing would be useful, if they are meant to be hung up on a wall.  But it might be worth researching.  With the wooden pieces, the type of wood used would be a good addition to the listing, or what item was ‘recycled’ or ‘upcycled’;  ie) made of recycled cupboards, or refurbished from a desk….using these types of keywords (like recycled, upcycled, refurbished, restored) also allows you to promote your store and products as Green and environmentally friendly.

Otherwise, great start.  Good luck.
Bibi
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:13:37 pm »

Welcome to iCraft Dawn!  Your store is quite cute.  You have a nice banner, nice photos and a nice branding stamp for your photos.

I agree with the others on keywords and titles.  My eyes are tired trying to figure out what I'm looking at (if I ignore the picture).  For example:
This listing:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/42337/you-are-my-sunshine-lullaby-lyrics-on-set-of-2-8-x-10-canvas.php

- I would include "Nursery Decor" in the title somewhere.  Or else Children's Decor.  You can use one version on some listings and the other on others (to avoid repeat titles.)  So, I might title this one: Canvas Nursery Decor Lullaby Lyrics
- I would definitely include a photo of the sawtooth hanger on the back.
- I would include "word art" somewhere in your description.
- I would add more of a description ahead of the lyrics part.  The first two lines of the description are really important.  A better intro might be:
"Set of (2) cute and whimsical nursery decor canvas word art with "You are my sunshine" lyrics.  Suitable for either baby gender in its antique white base and hand lettered in a chocolate colour.  Sawtooth hanger attached on backside of these 8 x 10 frames"

Immediately, I can see: what is its use, what is it made of, what does it say, what colour is it, how will I hang it, and how big is it.  The lyrics and shipping stuff can come after.

Another example:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/42389/from-there-to-here-dr-seuss-12-x-12-quote-canvas-wa13.php

I might title this Canvas Decor Dr. Seuss Quote
You start with the quote instead of an actual description.  I would change that up.
Again, there's no picture of the back (or the hanger at least).
I would mention that it has a "chalkboard look".  While it's not chalkboard, it has that appearance.  (I think chalkboard is in right now.)

Stuff like that.
Hope it helps.

Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  I'm new and would love a "starting out" critique please
Jump to:  
Click