Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Local Finds & Upcoming Shows  >  Jade Gardens Gift Show in Milton, ON
Pages: [1]
Author

Jade Gardens Gift Show in Milton, ON

Red Rock Designs

« on: July 28, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »

So I've booked my very 1st public craft show, with Jade Gardens Greenhouse in Milton, Ontario.  : }
The show is November 10 & 11, 2012 in one of their greenhouses.  Any advice for a newbie show vendor?  or anyone who's sold at this show before?

I believe they are still accepting vendors, but contact them to confirm.  Their website is : http://www.jadegardens.com ; and their email address is : jadegardens@gmail.com

Bibi
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:16 pm »

Congrats!  Very brave step!  I read alot about craft show preparation, but I don't have plans to do them.  Not enough time to make enough inventory.  Here's my quick advice from what I can remember reading:

General:
-- Have a shop sign (Vista print is an option) so people can see you from far.
-- Does the venue give a table?  Chairs?
-- Bring a helper, so you can take potty and snack breaks without leaving your table unattended or getting caught with your mouth full
-- If there are no food vendors on-site, pack a lunch.  Consider using dinner rolls for sandwhiches instead of bread or larger buns so you can eat in fast spurts when you get the chance.
-- Bring lots of change.  Some people might give you a $50 for the first purchase of the day of something < $10 and clean you out of change.
-- Pack the car the night before!
-- Be set up as early as possible.  There's a possibility other vendors will check you out to scout the best selection before the public snatches it up

Displays:
-- Use varying heights.  Two twin sheets will cover a 6 ft by 2.5 ft table to the floor so you can store stuff undeneath.  Put some boxes under the table cloth to create a few raised displays.  If your product is small enough (yours probably is), you can also buy those stair-step looking things in kitchen supplies that people put in their cupboards to maximize space for storing spice bottles or soup cans.
-- Consider bed-risers to bring up the height of your table to bring product closer to the eye and ease the back-bending of customers.
-- Make prices clearly visible.  Some people price each item.  Some people use a picture frame from the dollar store to price each section: by the display (bin, rack, whatever) or by the type (earrings, bracelet, whatever).
-- Investigate the ability to take credit cards
-- Investigate whether the venue requires you to have insurance
-- How much product to bring is a judgment call.  Many craft fair vendors have suggested enough product to fill your booth twice for a single day show and more than that for multi-days.  Keep some back to replenish your table as stuff sells.
-- Make sure you put our your business cards
-- Make sure there is a mirror on hand for jewellery viewing
-- latest trend: if you have one of those digital picture frames that does a slideshow of pictures, consider showing a slide show of your process as something to hold shopper attention  (or at least of your inventory)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:07:20 pm by Fairy Cardmaker »
Ahkriti

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:16:12 am »

Good going Bibi! So happy that you are taking this step!

Lisa has really given excellent TIPS of the MUST HAVE and MUST DO for the craft show!

Since this is your first show, do get someone to be with you at the show. Have a back up plan as well. For my first craft show, I was to have a friend, but she had an emergency and could not make it but luckily there was a family member who was willing to help.

Make an Inventory List of all your jewely designs.

Keep items in various budget lists. I don't know how much this would help, but I guess people like to see various styles in various prices.

Keep some candies...in a bowl. Some kids can actually get their mommies to your stall that way.

Keep pens, pencils, staplor, scissors, pins, calculator, note pad, scotch tape. You never know what you will need.

Get a cash box with  key and the day before your show, get some loose change in about $100-200 to get you started.

Wear a smile and breathe in!  Good luck! You will do well!

Red Rock Designs

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:05:16 am »

Thank you both for your awesome tips...and some I hadn't even thought of! 
Bibi
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:03:37 pm »

Bibi, your tweet said it's at 5532 Trafalgar but the jade gardens link above says 5558 Trafalger?  Could you clarify for me please (and thanks)?  I'm trying to track craft shows in my calendar because I want to get out to more this year.  Last year I only made it to one.  Lips sealed
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

Speaking of Event, feel free to submit your Crafting Events and Workshops to our Events Calendar.
It's free to all iCraft Members!
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »

Sorry Fairy C, I didn't see this until today....Jade Gardens Greenhouse is located at 5532 Trafalgar Rd, Milton, ON.
Admin, I tried to enter it into the Events Calendar, but November has an error....the 4th is down twice.....

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:37:10 pm by Red Rock Designs »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:05:06 pm »

OK, that's weird  Embarrassed  We'll fix it shortly.
Thanks for letting us know!
Delightful Suds

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »

Hello Bibi!

Lisa has already made a lot of good suggestions. l actually have my first big soap craft show tomorrow!  Shocked (the Made by Hand show in Mississauge - I'll also post it in the calendar now) I'm quite nervous but so excited at the same time  Grin However, I have done a few jewellery shows before and other than what was already mentioned, I'll tell you a couple of mistakes I made in the past. One got me in big trouble, I assumed that tables were included, but they were not!! I had to run to the nearest hardware store to purchase some and the whole thing set a bad tone for the day. Another thing that I once forgot was to bring a mirror and I actually lost a sale because one woman could not check how she looks in my necklace in a mirror  Roll Eyes. Definitely count how much change you're bringing so that when you start making money, you can easily figure out your profit at the end.

It would also be a good idea to create "coupon cards" to give out to entice customers to come and visit your store online. I'll be doing that as well. There are also a couple of helpful links on etsy regarding craft fairs, check these out:
http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/how-to-rock-it-at-a-holiday-show/

and

http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/what-to-bring-to-a-craft-fair/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:12:35 pm by iCraft Admin »
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 10:04:42 pm »

Thanks Bibi!

I met Reshma from AhKriti at the Made by Hand Show last year.  I plan on going tomorrow.  Hope to see you, Marta!  (Bring something tea tree or carbon for me!  And stocking sized!)  Wink
Delightful Suds

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 10:08:33 pm »

Done and done  Wink Looking forward to meeting you in person!
JaJeJems

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 12:20:01 am »

Thanks for the very helpful information.  We are going to a big show at the Coliseum in Moncton in November so the info was very timely.  Will also put that on the events calendar.  Good luck Bibi and Marta!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 10:45:24 pm »

How did it go, Ladies?
Did yours happen yet, Janis and Jessica?
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:02:40 am »

The Jade Gardens show went well...but lots of jewelry vendors :/
Saturday was more busy than Sunday.  Overall it was a good experience for me since I didn't know what to expect.  I've definately picked up tips on how to display pieces better for next time.  It was nice meeting you Lisa!   
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 03:26:30 pm »

Jade Gardens is having Bazaar Summer Saturdays from 10am - 3pm in the parking lot.  Any vendors interested in selling should contact the host directly.  Their website is http://www.jadegardens.com ; and their email is  jadegardens@gmail.com.

The address is 5558 Trafalgar Road, Milton, ON L0P 1E0

Bazaar Saturdays runs from June 29 - Aug 31/13 .  There are options of booking 10 weeks, 5 weeks or individual days.  The individual days are $30.00, and the cost per day is reduced for multiple days booked.  You are only supplied the space, you're required to bring your own table and other display or selling devices.

I'll be there on July 6 & 20 and Aug 3, 17, and 31...hope to see you there!
Bibi
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Local Finds & Upcoming Shows  >  Jade Gardens Gift Show in Milton, ON
Jump to:  
Click