Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  Pottery
Pages: [1]
Author

Pottery

dragonkaty

Administrator

« on: July 15, 2011, 06:22:28 pm »

I am a big fan of pottery and tend to pick up a new piece whenever I travel. I like to find unique crafters, with interesting and different designs, and when I travel I always seek out craft fairs, farmers markets and other spots where I can find those things.

One thing I have noticed here is that there doesn't seem to be any potters on iCraft.

It may be that there seems to be a lot of jewelry sellers (and buyers) here, and that doesn't attract potters who don't think they will find the right customers.

It could be that pottery is tactile (or at least for me it is), and it is something you want to pick up and touch before you decide on the right piece.

Still, the pieces I have purchased from the site so far are all things I probably would have been tactile about had I seen them at a fair (what can I say; I am pretty touchy, LOL), and yet they have all been wonderful pieces that I am thrilled to have purchased 'sight seen, but touch unfelt' as it were.

How can we attract potters into our wonderful fold? Any thoughts.
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:54 pm »

Gosh, I just searched with keyword pottery and got only 13 results!

I think attracting potters is all in the advertising message. Remember when Artfire first started? They had that square ad showing a potter as a representation of artisans.

Individuals can invite potters to take a look at iCraft.
dragonkaty

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:15 pm »

Yes, and as you can see, most of those artisans haven't been back on the site for 6 months or more. I kow that we are getting more sales for jewelry these days, but that is an entire category of crafters that were are missing.

Great idea though. Perhaps if you come across potters at local craft fairs you (i.e. all you iCraft sellers) could mention the site and see if you can interest them in getting involved.
Numlocal India

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:31:08 pm »

Especially artificial jewellery sellers. Hey, I am a newbie and was looking for some conversation on pottery. I am a traveler and love to check out artisans and craftsman work and designs. Hope to find some amazing collection here too.

Wink
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 02:47:14 pm »

(what can I say; I am pretty touchy, LOL)
Grin Ha ha! I hear ya. I'm the same.

I wonder if the low number of pottery sellers also has to do with the shipping. Not only is it costly and discourages online shopping, it's fragile too. If something breaks in transit, buyers typically expect sellers to absorb that. Whereas, if you buy something in person and you drop it on the way to the car, oh well. That's your problem.

Shipping is such an issue. Canada is sooooo big and our people are spread out compared to smaller countries. I wonder if we should start a thread about shipping strategies, tips, and tricks!
pinkpursuits

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 04:08:53 pm »

Hm, maybe inviting people out on Reddit or finding Facebook pottery groups? As long as its appropriate and allowed in the subreddit or FB group of course.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  Pottery
Jump to:  
Click