Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Recent Site Updates & Announcements  >  Deleting products from your store
Pages: [1]
Author

Deleting products from your store

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: October 29, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »

Due to the complains from some people having difficulties with removing products from their stores, we've made a small UI change to the "View All Products" page https://icraftgifts.com/member_products.php in "My Account" section.

When you login next time, you should see a "Delete" icon right beside "Edit" and "Preview" icons for all your products listed in the table. When you click that icon, you will see a pop-up message asking for your confirmation. This was done to prevent products from being deleted by mistake. Once you click "Delete" your product will be gone permanently.

Just so you know, you can't permanently delete products that have sales associated with them. We keep those products for historical records, and so that people viewing buyers' feedback on those products could actually see what others have bought.

By the way, the last 200 products sold on iCraft are also displayed on this page https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/last-sold/

One thing to keep in mind - when you delete products, you lose all inbound links to those pages, which affects your ranking. It's better to post a new product, in place of the old one, than to delete it completely. Thanks!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

"One thing to keep in mind - when you delete products, you lose all inbound links to those pages, which affects your ranking."

-- Honestly, I need to be able to arrange my shop better.  So, I delete stuff because there is no "deleted" folder that removes it from my product list.  The view filter is not very good (will post in website suggestions why.)  If I am never making that product again, I delete it.  Based on your explanation above, perhaps I should change the title to "XYZ Product - DELETED" and then put it on hold.  That might help me.

My only suggestion for the trash can icon it is that it should ask "Are you sure you want to delete XYZ product?"  Right now, it just asks "Are you sure?" and I sit there thinking, "Did I just click the right one?"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:21:13 am by iCraft Admin »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:42 am »

Hi Fairy Cardmaker,

There is no reason for us to create a "Deleted" folder, as we remove completely remove deleted products from our system. Therefore we can't recreate a list of deleted products after you click "Delete" icon.

If you never going to make or recreate certain products again, I suggest you change product XYZ to product ABC - so you use the same listing and enter the new product info in place of the old one. If you put any product on hold, that product will be removed from the public view, which is pretty much the same as deleting that product, from SEO stand point.

As for the filters, I'll see what we can do.  Wink

Strange, but I don't see "Are you sure?" message when I click on the trash can icon. I see "Are you sure that you want to delete these records?". 
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:59:52 pm »

I suggest you change product XYZ to product ABC

But, what if there are comments on that product?  Or what if someone has put it in their favourites list?  Does changing the title remove those things so that the person who commented or favourited doesn't suddenly have a changed product?

"Are you sure that you want to delete these records?".

Okay, but, "these records" is still pretty generic.  It doesn't say, "Are you sure you want to delete Quilled Angel Bear - Handmade Card?"

On second look, it does put a checkmark beside the one I clicked.  I just like to be able to doublecheck that I clicked the right record.  The checkmark works though!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:27:20 pm »

But, what if there are comments on that product?  Or what if someone has put it in their favourites list?  Does changing the title remove those things so that the person who commented or favourited doesn't suddenly have a changed product?

Yes, very good point about comments. You are right, if product has comments, better not use that listing for posting another product.

As for the favourites... Yes, you are right too. That's something you need to consider.
However, we don't have "Favourites" feature on the site yet, and if we did, system would handle deleted products, so buyers would know what happened to their favoured products. However, that's not what affects your ranking. What affects your rankings is when people Bookmark pages or add them to "Favourites" list using browser, or when they send an email to someone with a direct link to your page and that page is gone.

Also, is it better if your product listing was gone completely from your potential buyer's list or if they landed on a similar looking product from your store? So I guess the key would be to replace existing product with the similar product e.g. one Christmas card with another Christmas card. At least, you get them in your store.  Wink
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »

What about the "This item was listed on: December 21, 2009. Could we just remove that altogether on the public item page? I see no purposed and if we re-use pages wouldn't that still be there?

I just reused a page and the item public page says I posted it on Dec. 21, 2009.

What do you think?
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »

Hi Linda,
We show that line only to you, when you are logged in. Others don't see it.

GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:47:51 am »

Oh...lol. I should have logged out to check! Thanks. Good idea and you always seem to have it covered.  Wink
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions  >  Recent Site Updates & Announcements  >  Deleting products from your store
Jump to:  
Click