Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  Critique for new year
Pages: [1]
Author

Critique for new year

PetiteTuques

« on: January 30, 2010, 08:22:56 pm »

I was reading some of the critiques of the other crafters, and of course I want some opinion on mine.. I seem to have a lot of people looking at my stuff, but I don't know if those people are sellers or buyers. I know myself I check out the stuff that I like, but how do I get more people to buy rather than just look? I must say that my sales so far are from people that I know, who trust my work.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

Number one thing to me is the photos.  I would avoid like-coloured backgrounds like this:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/20025/adult-size-white-cable-chic-tuque.php

And MORE photos.  If what is so special about this one is the fleece lining, why isn't there a picture of it?

On this one, the second photo is a little blurry:
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/19465/3-4-years-purple-stripes-classic-tuque-set-in-stock.php

Second thing: acrylic yarn.  How does it differ from other yarns?  Is it durability, strength, hypoallergenic issues?  Is it smoother?  I know nothing about knitting.  What about wash care?  Is this going to shink the first time?

There's a small word missing in the shop announcement:
"Due to the stetchiness of knitted hats, here are my hat sizes according to age. Usually the hat size will 2 inches less than the actual head size."
(I'm not perfect either and I would appreciate if people helped me catch my boo boos, so please don't be offended!)

I do LOVE that you put all the sizing right there up front and specific sizing right on the product.

You've made more sales than I have, so maybe my advice isn't going to be great, but those are my thoughts anyway.

(Your product is definitely cute though!)
PetiteTuques

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »

Thanks so much! I corrected my wording.. I think faster than I can write..

I am definitely not a photographer, and I was told by my friend (semi-professional) that consistancy in pictures is important. The one white hat was a custom order, which is why there aren't a lot of photos..

I guess I should put more info on the type of yarn I am using? Why I am using it and such?

Do you think it is important to have a lot of stock before opening such a store? I've done a lot of research on my craft, but its hard to tell what others are doing, besides asking them straightforward- I'm still a little shy. All my stuff on icraft is in stock, and I don't know if that is the same for you?
iCraft Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »

Hi Petite Tuques,

It's not necessary to have all products in stock in order to have an online store. That's why we have "Request Custom Order" option. As long as you can recreate the product shown on the picture, or create a similar looking product, possibly in a different size or color, that fine. Just make sure you communicate to buyers how long it will take you to recreate each product available for custom order.

I agree with Ensorcelled Minds about pictures. Users online buy your photos and not your products really. If they like your photos, they buy your products, so never underestimate the power of great photography.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:00:24 am »

Models models models!

I Luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv seeing cute litle babies wearing the hats and the booties.

I'm a gramma and I cannot resist squeezing those cute little tootsies when I see them in booties. People love looking at babies... so dress em up and take your pics.

The hats should be modeled outside if you can manage it.

Grammas and young mothers are easy marks to sell to when they see your stuff on cute models and they are buying the model more than they are buying the product (my opinion). So take an armful of hats to your child's preschool and line em up for a photo shoot. (make sure you have parents permission).

Hope that helps.
Christine
SarahMars

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:59 am »

I think your store is very nice, PetiteTuques. Photos where you use models are the best. Simple background also works the best.
PetiteTuques

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:12:21 pm »

Thanks Sarah! I'm definately still learning, and I've learned a lot from other sellers here. I'm going to upgrade the photos to models as time goes by.. I do all the photos myself, since I am not really able to get a professional at this point.
PetiteTuques

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:30 am »

ok, so I'd like some more opinions on how I can improve! I seem to have run into a problem too, as I had misspelled my store name, I want to correct it everywhere, but I cannot change my Etsy store name, and I'd have to pay for a name change on my webs account- ($5)

Forget it! There are too many places where I can't change my name! So I'm going to leave it!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:23:04 am by PetiteTuques »
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:36:22 pm »

Very cute, CLEAR new avatar!

I seem to have run into a problem too, as I had misspelled my store name

Really?  I like it better as Petite Tuques than PetitesTuques if that's what you mean.  I don't think you are supposed to put a plural on the adjective in french anyway.  Unless you mean, toque en francais is a masculine word, in which case it shoud be Petit Toque (to be completely French).  I can never remember all that sexiness in french words!  Bah - encompass many languages!  Mix it up!  It's fine!

If you mean Tuque vs. Toque, both are in the dictionary, so both are completely legitimate spellings!  It's like grey and gray.  Dictionary.com is my friend!

tuque
   /tuk, tyuk/ Show Spelled[took, tyook]
–noun
a heavy stocking cap worn in Canada.
Also, toque.

toque
   /toʊk/ Show Spelled[tohk]
–noun
1. a brimless and close-fitting hat for women, in any of several shapes.
2. a velvet hat with a narrow, sometimes turned-up brim, a full crown, and usually a plume, worn by men and women esp. in 16th-century France.
3. tuque.

It's all GOOD!  In fact, I think tuque is better  Wink

I agree with admin.  When listing stock you don't have, post a picture (the best picture you have of it) and then post alternate colours and/or alternate sizes in the subsequent pictures.  Clearly state in the title "Custom XYZ" or "Made to Order XYZ".

All the stuff in my shop is made, because I'm work a full-time professional career and can't guarantee I'll have the time to craft on demand.  I have done custom orders, through Etsy, but those were all people who approached me; not from custom listings.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:38:02 pm by Fairy Cardmaker »
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Store Critique  >  Critique for new year
Jump to:  
Click