Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 20 What's happening
Pages: 1 2 [All]
Author

Day 20 What's happening

PillowThrowDecor

« on: November 20, 2009, 07:01:49 am »

As promised, I said I would do my story post but kept getting error message in my blog so will plunk it here for now.

Title
Icraft Online Sellers' Bootcamp... Is it worth the Work?

Undeniably Bootcamp is a lot of work. Homework, often done late at night, bleeds into my precious sleep time. But tonight, I couldn’t sleep anyways as I am still doing the happy dance while working two screens and 5 conversations with Tweeps.

Some of you may remember a number of months ago, in a previous Bootcamp, that I grudgingly integrated Twitter in our program.  I was not convinced it was good use of my time or my intelligence but as the Bootcamp leader I would never ask anyone anything that I was not prepared to do myself. Some days, so help me, I think it would be a lot easier for me to sell a shopping mall than a piddly pillow.

Around 1300 followers I twittered with  a Vancouver interior designer.  We tweeted and eventually met for coffee next door to a new home décor store her designer friend was opening. The store designer hired me to make a curtain for her store. (ka ching) She suggested when I would come to deliver the drapes that I could  bring some pillows for her to see. Grin grin.

Today, I installed the drapes. Gorgeous! I brought in a tote full of my pillow covers and a huge bundle of inserts.  Shyly, I laid them out on a display bed.  I nervously fumbled through a ‘sort of’ presentation.  It was when I held up my newest African animal pillow that a shopper who had been peaking at us from behind a Christmas tree, came around  and interrupted us with “I want that pillow. (ka ching)  And, I know you haven’t done your pricing or anything yet but I want it. Actually I want two of them. (ka ching) Do you have a matching throw?  I want it like that one (she points to my throw)?” (ka ching)

Both the store owner and I said “no problem” at the same time.  The three of us laughed.  The shopper got her wallet out and asked further…”Do you do drapes and bedding”. (Ka ching)

Paid actors wouldn’t have been as convincing as this very real shopper.  When the store owner finished with the shopper and resumed our meeting, I asked her “How many would you like?”
She said, “All of them”

http://picasaweb.google.com/PillowThrowDecor/Icraft#5406149672677211618
storybeader

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:31:44 am »

I tried to #FF and some of my people didn't come through.
What am I doing wrong:

"some favorite followers #FF @VerreDesign @Patrizia Tager @Lois Stifel @Callidora @PillowThrowDecor @Bliss Street @Three Fates Design"

No spaces allowed :?:  :?:
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:40:46 am »

Some days Twitter just gets goofy... overloaded I guess.  I will try and do a FF on these people too and see what happens.

Cheers
Christine
storybeader

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:46:10 am »

That's great, Christine!  Those unexpected sales are to die for!  And that must have been a pretty penny, all together!  

Sorry, for the early post!   :oops:   I'm just so mad, my #RRs won't work correctly.  What am I doing wrong  :?:    Anybody  :?:  I know it has to be me!  Looks like the two/three words without a _ won't work, but then.... there's no underline in their name  :!:    Grrrr....  {:-Deb
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:59:23 am »

Odd... I copied exactly what you wrote and pasted it in tweetdeck and it worked perfectly???

Re: Big pillow deal... needless to say she got wholesale pricing which is relief for me to not have to make umpteen trips to post office.

I think I am going to employ a policy on any inventory that is "odd sock" (last one left) or sits for longer than x months will get fired out on wholesale lot.  Need to think on this as a way to keep my inventory fresher.  Some of my stock will be "perpetual" though.  Hmmm.

What do others do about inventory that sits for a long time and not many views but is still nice saleable, current type  item?Huh
storybeader

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:48:36 am »

Christine - you can always save those items for your sales....
or for giveaways (those are usually connected to your blog, or someone else's blog...)  Cheesy
Naturliche

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 11:36:54 am »

Christine that is such an awesome story!  very encouraging.  Thank you for sharing it!

And congratulations!

I have to give away old stock - its the nature of my product.
I give away lots of it to friends and family & sometimes include a little something extra in my package when sending it out to customers.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 09:05:50 pm »

Christine!  WOW!  :shock: ROCK ON, GIRL!

Today, I updated two listings for SEO.  Now I have to finish a special card for my father in law who has been in hospital for one week and is now scheduled for triple (possibly quadruple) bypass surgery.  :cry:

Tomorrow I'm teaching my Christmas Card Workshop and then a charity gala dinner.  And THEN, I promise to have something new in the shop by Monday morning!
storybeader

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 12:05:42 am »

How do you follow/join a group, with the # ?
I forget where you're suppose to go to write that in....  :oops:
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:12:00 am »

The hashtag is just a way of marking the tweet for that subject FF or Followfriday.

You can do a twitter search with #FF and every tweet that has FF in it will show up.  that is a good way of finding people to follow. But it doesn't mean you ave joined a group or anything

Does that answer your question?

Cheers
storybeader

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 09:33:55 am »

so if I'm trying to find other icrafters, I could do a search, like #icraft, and I would find some other icrafters.    :shock:   cool!  I have Tweet Directory bookmarked - I'll start there.  I think we talked about groups or something, but that must have been the lists...

Going to the Comanche bird sanctuary with my camera today.  Very excited!  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy   {:-Deb
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 09:41:44 am »

One very easy way to find like minded followers is to see who someone else is following.  You could always look at mine or even Galleria Linda.  We both follow a lot of crafters.

Have fun with your camera today.

Cheers
Weezi

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 01:46:33 pm »

EEEE!!!!that is fantastic Christine! I could feel my pulse speed up as I read your story!!!!!!
That is why we do what we do! It is that thrill that keeps us going.
You must be still doing the happy dance... :lol:

Sorry I have been MIA the last few days...I have been trying to get caught up on sewing etc.
I have been following along and looking at all the posts.

I finally manged to get a blog up today....it is a cut and paste from my Weezi site but I don't really have time to write 2 separate blogs..one is hard enough.
https://icraftgifts.com/blog/fabulous-vintage-vogue-blog-108.php

I have a few new "friends" on twitter that I am "stalking"  and overall the whole twitter thing is going well except the time is sucks out of my already over loaded day and night.

Anyhow...all is good. Will get caught up over the weekend.
Have a great weekend yourself and once again a big congratulations.
Will look for you on Twitter!
Lisa Smiley

www.weezi.com
Zs Knees

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:00:08 am »

Deb, I couldn't resist! I haikued a tweet (twaikued?) for you.  :lol:

And I realized that I'd probably be a lot more into Twitter if you had to tweet in 5-7-5! How fun :!:
mountaindreamers

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 10:00:34 am »

Love the story , great to see your hard work pay off!!!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 06:20:02 pm »

Okay, updated one listing and posted a new one!  This is the new one!
https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/19487/three-white-dove-christmas-cards-or-wedding-cards-handmade.php
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 01:20:46 am »

Hi all.  I tweeted your new blog post Wheezi. Awesome pictures!

Tweeted your new set of three cards Ensorcelled Minds.

Anymore blogs out there?

I am going to try and post mine again in the blog section.

Regarding my story... Not very often I have had a break like that.  The next day I thought I was dreaming it all until I got a phone call from the store designer. I held my breath.

She called to confirm that I could do another pillow and custom throw to match the African animal fabric and also, she wanted another large throw and more pillow inserts for her store.

Alrighty!

Cheers
Zs Knees

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 01:36:56 am »

Over the weekend I did a little editing, added a couple photos, tweeted some. Aaaand got a blog entry done! Sheesh, that part took eons.

here we go: https://icraftgifts.com/blog/diy-gifts-110.php   Cheesy

I'm exhausted, turning in early tonight. Can't wait for a fun-packed final week! Cheesy
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 11:34:04 am »

I was reading some more blog ideas from the experts.

Chris Brogden is one of those experts and here are his 40 tips for killer blog content.  Here is a link to it although I will copy the BASICS below ...  http://ow.ly/DTBf

1.  Brevity rules. Can you say it briefly?
   2. Make the main point in the first paragraph.
   3. Use small words. You don’t have to impress people. Be clear.
   4. Analogies help people understand things better.
   5. So do stories.
   6. You don’t have to write complete sentences, even though your teacher taught you to do that. But treat it sparingly. Like this. Like a condiment.
   7. Keep paragraphs small, if possible. We balk at large blocks of text.
   8. Make your point from the reader’s side of the fence. Who is your audience?
   9. Depending on how you write, go back and see if you can cut out more. Reduce. Reduce. Reduce.
  10. Use the word you’re thinking about, not a fancier, or more polite word.

Concepts and the Bigger Picture

11. Set up series of posts, even if you don’t call them a series. Make a post that brings up follow-on points from a previous post, and link back to that post to reinforce the original content.
  12. Get your inspiration from reading. #1 source for my ideas comes from other blogs not in my space. Not sure what to read that’s NOT in your space?
  13. Think strategically, if this is for business or a cause. Ask yourself what you want your reader to do next. Try to write from that point of view.
  14. Theme-wise, writing very helpful things that people can use is way better than writing thoughtful things that make people think and just walk away. You can have thoughtful but not helpful, but you’re striving for helpful and thoughtful in the same piece.
  15. Never write the me-too blog. Look to be ahead of the wave and feeding backwards, not behind the wave and eating someone’s wake.
  16. Look for ways to think forward, but that tie to your business interests. When I write about the future, I’m also inviting someone to make that future with me.
  17. Mix it up. Keep an editorial calendar and note what kinds of posts you’ve written lately. Thought posts? Lists? Interviews? Make sure you’re mixing up the type of post you’ve written lately.
  18. Consider the occasional dip into Google Trends to write a story that might draw new audience to your conversation. Don’t do this all the time, because the gimmick can wear off quick. Again, think condiments, not meals.
  19. If you don’t have anything interesting to blog, skip a day. Don’t skip many days.
  20. And never never never (raise your hand and repeat this with me) “I” (state your name) “solemnly swear never never never never ever to post another ‘I’m sorry I haven’t blogged lately’ posts ever again. Ever.”

Overdrive

21. Consider your audience but write from your passion.
  22. Don’t mince words. If it’s a “pissing match,” it’s not a disagreement.
  23. Ask questions. Blogs are conversations starting and flowing. Ask. Questions.
  24. Link to people. If you write about Steve Garfield, link to Steve Garfield.
  25. It’s not all about your blog. Get out and comment on other people’s blogs. Often.
  26. Leave a few ideas unfinished. Ask for input. It always improves a piece. Blogs are great for that.
  27. Use tags. Lots of tags. Make sure you claim your blog with Technorati, and submit it with Alltop.
  28. Make sure your blog’s URL is everywhere: in your email signature, in Facebook, in Flickr, in Twitter, in every outpost you can think about.
  29. Don’t email, DM, and otherwise push every blog post you write to other people. Share the best ones. Let the others be found on their own merits.
  30. Always know why you’re doing what you’re doing. Question yourself often. Look for ways to improve the game.

Encore

31. Comment back to the people who have left comments.
  32. Follow those people’s links sometimes and go explore their blog.
  33. Look for ways to empower the community you inspire.
  34. If you haven’t found your community yet, keep looking, searching, and connecting.
  35. Learn about Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM). It’s no longer okay not to know even the most basic things.
  36. Find great Creative Commons photos and use them for your post (with attribution).
  37. Deconstruct what your favorite writers do, and try it your own way.
  38. Occasionally, try something completely different.
  39. Don’t be afraid to fail. Be afraid of not being interesting enough.
  40. Write as if someone believes in you, because someone does. (me!)

Chris Brogan advises businesses, organizations, and individuals on how to use social media and social networks to build relationships and deliver value. You can reach him at:blog at chrisbrogan.com

You might want to sign up for Chris Brogan's newsleters at http://ow.ly/DTBf
Pages: 1 2 [All]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 20 What's happening
Jump to:  
Click