Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  What search engines see on the page?
Pages: [1]
Author

What search engines see on the page?

iCraft Admin

« on: November 14, 2009, 01:37:28 pm »

Weezi asked a very good question in this post #page has been deleted# "How does the search engine know what to grab and from where?Huh".

Well, in my previous post on SEO, I’ve mentioned that search engines are essentially “Text Machines”. That’s really the key to understanding how they work. Compare 2 images below.

Search engines can’t see images or what’s written on them, so they ignore them completely. They rely on us to tell them what’s on those images. They scan text of the page in its entirety and try to make sense of what this page is all about. That’s why optimising page for specific keywords is so important. One thing that search engines really care about is your Page Title, which is in this case, equals your Product Title. Page Titles are eternally important because they get maximum exposure in search engine results pages.  

Here is what you see on Google http://bit.ly/2Amrh0

See how search engine is picking your Product Title and your Product Description. That’s because we use them as Page Title and Page Descriptions in the code.

This means that you need to provide Keyword rich Product Titles and Product Descriptions, that are compelling to site visitors and useful for search engines.

One more thing – they also should be unique for every page.
Sorry, nobody said getting top rankings on Google is easy.    :roll:
Weezi

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:06:33 am »

Ok, this will take a bit to digest only in the sense that I have to become very creative about how I title my item.

One thing is that I am wasting valuable  search engine "space" by saying "Thank you for visiting my shoppe.." at the very beginning of the description.

So then, this item should be...

Vintage Inspired Pink Apron with Strawberries-Adult $24.98..Huh
Ruffle doesn't need to be in there or new..I guess.

And...you are saying then the next apron even if similar should have a totally different title?Huh

Example: If the next apron I list is pink with cherries..just changing strawberries to cherries isn't enough?
This then goes back to key search words.

It seems very complicated all of a sudden.

The other question is then the tags that I list in I.Craft on the tags section as not picked up by say Google or Yahoo?Huh

On the reverse this seems to answer some questions I have had in the past why some searches I do on google bring such poor results.

I was looking for vintage images on women on motorcycles and found it very difficult to find these...I had to dig thru blogs etc and found some on my.space of all places.

I must call it a night but will be thinking about this tomorrow for sure...
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Smiley
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:12:30 pm »

Yeah.... I have two items with the exact same name.  Can I use the first lines of the description to diffrentiate?  Or must there be different titles?  Does the search engine only pick up one of them then?
iCraft Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:12 am »

Ok, answering to both Weezi and Ensorcelled Minds.

Search engines care about both Title and Description, though Title is more important and is Always used, as Description is sometimes passed over and not always displayed in Search Results page. However, both are important for page optimization and should be filled with relevant Keywords.

If you have same titles for two different products and start your product descriptions with the same message, Google might label your pages “duplicate” and drop one of them from search results completely.

Think why you've posted them as two products and not as one with quantity equals two. There has to be something unique about each of them. So use that as a Keyword to differentiate 2 products.

You should always choose the most relevant and descriptive keywords for each product page. Think about phrases that your customers would use when they search for your products. Don’t always try to use generic Keywords that are very popular.

Using one of Weezi's products #page has been deleted# try to describe it. What kind of keywords / key phrases you'd use? Things like "Apron", "Retro Apron", "Vintage Inspired Apron" or "Cherry Apron" come to mind.

Let’s say “Cherry Apron” term has only 480 Global Monthly Search Queries a month, which doesn’t seem like much compared to more generic terms like “Apron” or even “Vintage Apron”. But see how competitive those terms are.

By optimizing your page for “Cherry Apron”, you'll get top ranking on Google for this term. This means almost all 480 people searching for “Cherry Apron” every month will be yours. Not only that they will click on your link (as it's at the top of the first page on Google), they will also see exactly what they were searching for - An apron with cherries splashed all over it!  Tongue

So now, do you think 480 highly targeted leads a month is enough? After all, you have only one  “Cherry Apron” to sell ... and it looks like they are popular in December. :wink:

By the way swapping "cherries" with "strawberries" in the Title of your second product might help you make those two products look unique, but might not help your second product with high rankings on Google, if nobody is searching for "Strawberry Apron". You still need to check what keywords are people using when they search, that are most relevant to your product.

Please note - I haven't done a detailed keyword analyses on your page.
I am using your product as an example to prove my point - Relevant Keywords will bring you more Targeted Traffic. And getting less, but targeted traffic is better than a lot of non-targeted!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:27 am »

Wow... I really appreciate these explanations ... so much easier to understand!

NICE APRON WHEEZI!!!

Cheers

Christine
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:31 am »

Admin, Can you please explain how to best use tags.  Is it a good idea to be broad in your descriptions.  Is it bad to have too many words?

If I use pillow, pillows, decor, decorating, upcycled, recycled, repurposed,
etc for a pillow with upcycled components is that a detriment using such broad terms along with colours, and other descriptives.

Also in the tags is there a specific order I should put them in?  Broad terms first or specifics first?

Cheers

Christine
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:03 am »

I am putting each of these SEO questions in different messages so that we can refer to them individually in our Bootcamp assignments. Smiley

We have all been working to tweak up our bios and store information. Can you describe how to best optimize our "landing page" that describes our us/store.  Is it bad to be too long? How do we avoid stuffing it with keywords when we describe the range of product that we sell?

Need help here.

Cheers

Christine
iCraft Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:13:39 pm »

Hi PillowThrowDecor,

You can optimize a page, like product page, for one or two keywords max. So you probably wouldn't be using that many keywords like "pillow, pillows, decor, decorating, upcycled, recycled, repurposed etc."
Product page just doesn't have a lot of copy. Keyword  density should be something like 5/100 -  5 Key Words/Phrases per 100 words or even less. Some experts say you should optimize any given page just for one keyword. I'd say start with one keyword, optimize your page for it and start monitoring your ranking.

You can use other keywords on the page, but it's different from optimizing a page for certain keywords. I'll add a separate post on page optimization, as I see it needs more explanation. Cheers!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:42:30 pm »

Thank-you admin.  That helps.
Unforunately, what makes my items  unique is skin colour and dress colour.  I'm trying to make multi-racial people die cuts... I will use google search to find the best way to differentiate them...

New Question on Tags:
pillow and pillows.  If you use "pillows" only, will a search for pillow pick it up since the root word is part of pillows?

For me, say, I use tenses: quilling and quilled.  Maybe the "quill" root would pick up both if someone searched for either quilled or quilling?
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 01:36:28 pm »

Ya... same question admin.

Will google see
pillows as pillow also?

guys as guy

quilting as quilted as quilts as quilt?

I think I am going to go this a try...
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  What search engines see on the page?
Jump to:  
Click