Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 6 What Happened
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Author

Day 6 What Happened

PillowThrowDecor

« on: November 06, 2009, 05:13:57 am »

Tell me more about how you made out on Twitter today?  Anyone have their
advertisement written?

Did I mention I have a surprise next week?... but you have to have your homework done first... especially your bio, interview and your advertisement to qualify for this surprise... anyone jumping in can be included in the surprise but these 3 items for sure must be done.

Cheers
Christine
Callidora

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:29:21 am »

Working on that advertisement...

I'm looking on Twellow and, of course, there's like 400 pages of people in Richmond VA.  The first 5 pages are all spammy, home business, coach "I can make you a million bucks in 5 minutes" people.  Is there any way to search by category and area?  I don't want to look at 400 pages of that poop.   :shock:
storybeader

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:44:28 am »

goody, goody.

I'll be away from my computer on Saturday, but I already wrote a blog about day 4, was it? :roll:

Think I will publish that, and see how I can shorten it (the editor at work! - woohoo!!)  bbl
Time and Sand

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:23 am »

I have finished up my assignments, listed my items and updated my blog. I wanted all to know I have featured Lisa, of Ensorcelled Minds on my blog today check it out!

http://awrappersview.blogspot.com

I am down with a cold and feeling lousy , so I am signing off for the day!  Have a good weekend everyone!   Cheesy
Naturliche

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:43:34 pm »

HI all!

Have been having issues getting onto the bootcamp from my computer.
WIll catch up soon.  From the little I have been able to catch up on, everyone looks like they've been plenty busy!
Callidora

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:53:35 pm »

wefollow.com was a lot better.  I followed about 50 people today and cleaned up some of my old spammy people.  I retweeted and did some tweets of my own.  I love Facebook and feel like I've been neglecting it and my blog for this past week, so I'll be on there a lot this weekend.

I've learned a BUNCH this week!  Thanks so much!
Weezi

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »

hello Christine! I am think I am missing something b/c I am not sure what the advertisement assig'nt is for today...can you please direct me to the proper thread for day 6's assignment,  I am lost ;(

thanx so much! Lisa
www.weezi.com
storybeader

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:51:25 pm »

3 For the balance of Bootcamp get into a Daily Routine of adding people … say 20 – 100 but be discerning! Also start slowly retweeting interesting people and tweeting at least a few of your own products… space them out if you can. Try to engage with people.

Where on earth was I going to find that many people?  

If anybody has qualms like me, I decided to start with some lists of sites that I already have - like Entrecard!  When I did my regular drop of favorites tonite, I looked for Twitter birds!

Been a busy and crazy week, and bootcamp has really taken me out of my usually routine.  WOW!   :shock:  nighty nite {:-Deb
GalleriaLinda

Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:41:25 am »

I think I am gonna live. I have been sick with flu and way behind but wanted to check in today with the good news that I am alive and kicking. (well, maybe not kicking yet).

Christine (pillowthrowdeco) had the flu when we were planning bootcamp. I think I got it from her - LOL! The timing is suspicious! (I'm in Florida and she is in Canada lol!)

I hope you realize that you all are way ahead of your competitors with what you are doing here. I am so impressed with your comments and commitment. Now, if I can just keep up with you all.
storybeader

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:51:15 am »

The way to RT is to [make any comment first], [then the "RT" goes next], [the @name of the person you are retweeting], [then the copied message]. Of course watching your character number. Such as:

Awesome pillow!-love it! RT @pillowthrowdeco worth following to see "Geek-almost-talks-personality-pillow"http://bit.ly/Fy2M5

For FollowFriday (#ff) you can list names in any way you want as long as the #ff is somewhere in the tweet.

I'll have to re:read this a few times, but I'm glad you wrote it down!  I'm a visual person!   Cheesy   {:-Deb
mountaindreamers

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 06:26:22 pm »

Catching up ! Tweeting without any problems , tweeted some of the bootcampers products, as well as my own, Bio done, Interview done, ordered more cards from vista print, signatures on all my emails, working on the advertisement. Cloned some products, and rewrote some of the descritptions.  Featured Storybeader's interview on my blog :  http://www.mountaindreamers.blogspot.com

ready for next week, I think. thanks to the Boot camp leaders for all their support. good nite all , Laura
Callidora

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »

I'm starting to Tweet and reTweet with ease!  Have lots of new followers over the last 2 days Smiley  Thanks so much for the tutorials!
storybeader

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:52:25 am »

I just wrote my advertisement, and it's 73 words. :shock:

Took my blog post - http://www.storybeader.com/2009/11/bootcamp-at-icraft-propositional.html - and whittled it down!  

Is that too small? Hit my 3 major points!

And have we talked about the Lists in Twitter yet  :roll:   {:-Deb
Callidora

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:23:10 am »

I finished my ad.  It's 146 words.  Am I supposed to put it here or will we be instructed tomorrow?

I have Thyme2Dream's interview ready to go on my blog tomorrow.  http://callidoras.wordpress.com

Mondays and Wednesdays, I teach classes all day, so I won't be around until the evening (ET).  I hope the assignment isn't too treacherous  Cheesy
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »

Storybeader, hope you don't mind, but I think #3 could be reworded a little:
Currently:
3) half of the books I create are covered in beautiful Japanese Washi papers. Yes, I've seen others use these sheets, but they aren't very common. And they're absolutely beautiful!

To me, you are acknowledging others.  I'd rather just say:

3) half of the books I create are covered in beautiful Japanese Washi papers. These sheets are uncommonly used on journals and they're absolutely beautiful!

(Or, if uncommon enough to be rare....)
These rare sheets (designs?) are absoulutely beautiful!

... just one opinion.  Hope you don't mind.
Lisa.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 01:51:07 pm »

Well... my harddrive crashed and I had to get a new one.  I was able to back up all my files, but I will not have MS Word or Excel until the 2010 version comes out.  Word is where I stored all my business brainstorming bits, including my bio, target market, etc.

However, I can steal from the version on my Etsy site.  Let me know when it's time to post our propositional benefit blurbs!
Lisa.
storybeader

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

thanks for the input, Lisa.  My blog, of course, is more focused on others.  The ad is all me!  lol   {:-Deb
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:56 pm »

Smiley

Ok.  Couldn't resist.  Embedded my written ad into my shop profile:

Simple.  Clean.  Clear.
Ensorcelled Minds Inc. says it in style from scraps to smiles!

Our cards use clean lines and minimal frou fou!  They offer dimension without mailing bulk by use of techniques like layering, die-cuts, paper piecing, and embossing.  Some of the die-cut focal points are our original designs.  We use only archival quality papers because, when you want to stand out, only the best will do.

Our paper embellishments are all original designs.  Make your cards or scrapbooks even more memorable with these unique supplies without taking away from your own creativity!

---------------------------------
My three points:
No mailing bulk
Unique Original Designs
High Quality

Hope those got across in the blurb.
wabibrookstudio

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 04:52:00 pm »

I've been twittering for a while now and have a fairly good grasp on the basics.
Thanks to the excellent information given by Christine and others I now have a much better understanding of it.  My computer doesn't like Tweetdeck for some reason, so I have been using Hootsuite, which I really like.  It really helped me to get a handle on Twitter!  I also like the fact that it is web-based so I don't have to install anything on my computer.
So, the Twitter part of the assignment is going well!

The propositional benefits assignment is another story, however.
I can't seem to come up with 3 things that make my products remarkable!  It's a bit discouraging, actually.
Anyway, I will keep plugging away at it, and perhaps inspiration will strike.

Once I get this part of the assignment licked, I think I will be caught up!  Yay me!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 10:41:54 pm »

Wabibrookstudio - one of them has to be the connection to / celebration of / appreciation of nature!  Appeal to other naturalists!
-Lisa.
Zs Knees

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 01:02:44 am »

Last minute, as usual... but I actually got quite a bit done... I've got 2 new listings, just need to find that camera-toting high schooler now! Smiley

As for Twitter, I found some new people on wefollow.com- I liked that site. And since Tweetdeck slows down my computer too much, I'm going to check out Hootsuite and see if that works out better.

For anyone else on Gmail, I just realized you can get a Twitter thingamajig on your iGoogle home screen. There are several to choose from, and I'm trying out TwitterGadget right now.

The ad was a bit of a challenge... especially since I started out with home decor and kids' stuff, and I've still got some non-kid pillows on there. So it's not all-inclusive, but so be it:

You could be the umpteenth guest at the baby shower with a Disney layette… but you know you’d rather not!
Show how much you care about the little munchkins in your life with a handmade gift. For the next baby shower, birthday, or holiday, Z’s Knees has got you covered!
Whether you choose from our fully washable ‘Siesta Kits’ celestial-themed pillows and blankets, or go for a hand-felted wool ‘Butterflier’ ball, Z’s Knees means gifts that are fun, imaginative, …and washable! And you can feel extra happy about your purchase knowing a portion of the proceeds goes to charity.
Thanks for choosing handmade! Love, Z and Me.

Um... Disney won't sue me will they? lol! Maybe I should change that part...
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 07:27:20 pm »

Sorry weezi... here it is as an excert from Assignment 4.

This "advertisement" is a quick easy blurb that you can write as copy for a marketing article /piece or you can condense it down to your elevator speech.

The exersize is to get everyone practicing and using a prepared personal blurb that they can deliver on the spot wherever and whenever they can.  YOUR WORD OF MOUTH ADVERTISING STARTS WITH YOU.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Christine

Today you have a THINK PROJECT. You do not need to report it in the WHAT HAPPENED THREAD today but be ready tomorrow. I want you to think really, really hard and give me three remarkable things about your product.

What’s your propositional benefit or in other words … why should I buy your necklace instead of the other guys? Today I sat before a committee or “jury” for a fairly high end Christmas artisan show. What was so special about my pillows as compared to all the other pillow people? I knew it was coming otherwise Iwould have shaken in my boots!!!

1) 99% of my pillows are made from designer show room fabrics… fabrics that can’t be purchased by the general public.

2) My pillows are fabricated to “workroom standards” and I often use certain ‘insider trade secrets’ that could never be employed in mass production.

3) I have 2 “signature lines” that are weird and wonderful and not manufactured elsewhere (at least not yet). There is proprietary design / style that is not as easily copied unless your mind is as twisted as mine. I have “branded” these with professional labels.

Your product benefit may be price? Saying that yours is different doesn’t help… a buyer wants to know WHY or HOW it is different.

Quote from: Weezi
hello Christine! I am think I am missing something b/c I am not sure what the advertisement assig'nt is for today...can you please direct me to the proper thread for day 6's assignment,
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 07:44:55 pm »

Hey Storybeader... I smiled when I read this because I am certain that one day you are going to say "rats! I wish I could follow more than 2001".

I have such a hard time keeping the numbers down on who I am following.  I am an information junkie and have discovered way too many interesting people. Hence, I spend too much time "researching"

For you, I presume you would like to follow other online sellers? Any one of us icrafters on Twitter follows online sellers.  You can look and pick from our followers.  Don't spend too much time researching each person as you will get really bogged down. I read their bio and if looks like we have stuff in common I follow.  For the first while it is a bit of a numbers game. You want to build up your following and amazingly once you hit the 2000 people sort of pour in behind you.  Then you can start fine tuning exactly what kind of followers you want.  

Hope this helps.

Christine

Quote from: "storybeader"
3 For the balance of Bootcamp get into a Daily Routine of adding people … say 20 – 100 but be discerning! Also start slowly retweeting interesting people and tweeting at least a few of your own products… space them out if you can. Try to engage with people.

Where on earth was I going to find that many people?  

If anybody has qualms like me, I decided to start with some lists of sites that I already have - like Entrecard!  When I did my regular drop of favorites tonite, I looked for Twitter birds!

Been a busy and crazy week, and bootcamp has really taken me out of my usually routine.  WOW!   :shock:  nighty nite {:-Deb
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 07:55:45 pm »

You blog post is delightful.  You send your messages so personably.  Good for you!

I agree with Lisa' comment about your point #3..Spin it too the positive for you! Yes... people love knowing that they are getting something made for them that is VERY DIFFICULT to source or rarely used because maybe it is too delicate.  People love to hear the story!

Good job Lisa jumping in with constructive feedback.  I  hope that everyone feels free to help with that and all enjoy receiving it as positive suggested alternatives.

Quote from: "storybeader"
I just wrote my advertisement, and it's 73 words. :shock:

Took my blog post - http://www.storybeader.com/2009/11/bootcamp-at-icraft-propositional.html - and whittled it down!  

Is that too small? Hit my 3 major points!

And have we talked about the Lists in Twitter yet  :roll:   {:-Deb
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:24 pm »

Your blog on Thyme2Dream is just aswesome.  Yes put your advertisement in Assignment 6 What Happened.

That way we can keep everyones together as much as possible and can easy reference it when we all need something /someone to blog about!

Cheers

Christine

quote="Callidora"]I finished my ad.  It's 146 words.  Am I supposed to put it here or will we be instructed tomorrow?

I have Thyme2Dream's interview ready to go on my blog tomorrow.  http://callidoras.wordpress.com
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 08:05:01 pm »

Hi Lisa... go ahead and post it in Assignment 6 What Happened.

Hey... I hope everyone gets alerts when a comment is posted in our Bootcamp threads.  

The notifications helps me to answer something that comes up in Day 2 or 5 or 7 or whatever.  I think you have to post something, anything, even just say hi, and from there you will receive notifications of new comments.

Cheers

Christine

Quote from: "Ensorcelled Minds"
Well... my harddrive crashed and I had to get a new one.  I was able to back up all my files, but I will not have MS Word or Excel until the 2010 version comes out.  Word is where I stored all my business brainstorming bits, including my bio, target market, etc.

However, I can steal from the version on my Etsy site.  Let me know when it's time to post our propositional benefit blurbs!
Lisa.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 08:19:01 pm »

Awesome job... everyone check out her new profile!

Cheers

Christine

Quote from: "Ensorcelled Minds"
Smiley

Ok.  Couldn't resist.  Embedded my written ad into my shop profile:

Simple.  Clean.  Clear.
Ensorcelled Minds Inc. says it in style from scraps to smiles!

Our cards use clean lines and minimal frou fou!  They offer dimension without mailing bulk by use of techniques like layering, die-cuts, paper piecing, and embossing.  Some of the die-cut focal points are our original designs.  We use only archival quality papers because, when you want to stand out, only the best will do.

Our paper embellishments are all original designs.  Make your cards or scrapbooks even more memorable with these unique supplies without taking away from your own creativity!

---------------------------------
My three points:
No mailing bulk
Unique Original Designs
High Quality

Hope those got across in the blurb.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »

I'll have to spend some time one day and check out Hootsuite! I know Linda uses it and really likes it.

For your advertisement, Minds gave you the suggestion of appealing to the naturalist. That is one point. Another point that I got from your store intro is that you use "recycled/reclaimed/vintage /free trade materials".  I think that is a unique aspectNot all artisans will spend the time and energy sourcing out  "special components".

I LOVE recyled, reclaimed, repurposed and everything else they call it now a days. I grew up with that!!! My mom was incredibly imaginative and wicked with a sewing machine and my school dresses were "makeovers" from two older (much much older) sisters.  Ha ha... they hate when I point that out... but they'll never read this  :twisted:

Sorry I'm babbling again.... Let me know if you need more help... we are all ears for you here.

Cheers

Christine

Quote from: "wabibrookstudio"
I've been twittering for a while now and have a fairly good grasp on the basics.
Thanks to the excellent information given by Christine and others I now have a much better understanding of it.  My computer doesn't like Tweetdeck for some reason, so I have been using Hootsuite, which I really like.  It really helped me to get a handle on Twitter!  I also like the fact that it is web-based so I don't have to install anything on my computer.
So, the Twitter part of the assignment is going well!

The propositional benefits assignment is another story, however.
I can't seem to come up with 3 things that make my products remarkable!  It's a bit discouraging, actually.
Anyway, I will keep plugging away at it, and perhaps inspiration will strike.

Once I get this part of the assignment licked, I think I will be caught up!  Yay me!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 08:52:46 pm »

Hey Zees.

Good job!  I tweeked your ad a bit. Hope you don't mind. Wow ... I didn't know you donated some proceeds to charity.  Good for you.  that is definately a printable point and of course it would be great if it were a children or pet charity as they get a lot of heartstrings... ya... you don't want Disney hunting you down.  LOL  You are funny Smiley

Christine

Quote from: "Zs Knees"

Show how much you care about the little munchkins in your life with a handmade one-of-a-kind gift. For your next baby shower, birthday, or holiday gift giving, Z’s Knees has got you covered!

Our specialty lines of ‘Siesta Kits’ celestial-themed pillows and blankets, and our hand-felted wool ‘Butterflier’ balls are fun, imaginative and conveniently washable. Your gifts will be treasured forever!

You can feel extra happy  knowing that a portion of your Z's Knees purchase helps to support (what kind.. children charities?) charity.
Thanks for choosing handmade! Love, Z and Me.[/color]

Um... Disney won't sue me will they? lol! Maybe I should change that part...
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »

Great feedback for everyone, Christine!
Zs Knees

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 01:59:05 am »

Thanks, yes, tweak away!:)

About the charities... I squirrel away 10% (running tally on shop front) from each sale until it reaches $25 then send it off. Right now I've got 2 going. But I agree it should be a children's charity, and I think I'll go ahead and send Central Asia Institute's off and focus on AHope.

AHope is an orphanage in Addis Ababa, and I have 2 more sisters from there, as of last month!  Cheesy  Cheesy   So it's easy for me to get excited about that charity!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 02:14:23 am »

Silly me... I just read you shop profile and I see you have all that information there.  Dah... I should have read before I wrote Smiley

I would add your advertising bit to your store profile. Make this the focus of the profile and shorten a bit about the charities.

Good stuff!

Cheers
Christine
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Day 6 What Happened
Jump to:  
Click