Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Assignment 5, Bootcamp #5 - The Popularity Factor
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Author

Assignment 5, Bootcamp #5 - The Popularity Factor

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 03:59:21 am »

Hi Fairy Cardmaker,
A couple comments on your post:

I find these activities work only when done consistently  I have hit the glass ceiling.  I don't have time to do it all.  I haven't even created anything new in a while.  What good is promoting if I cannot make anything to promote? 

I'd say they work best, if done consistently. However, because you are accumulating links over time, even if not consistently, you will start seeing the results. Maybe not as fast, as you'd like, but still all the promotional work you do counts, so don't stop completely. Take a break, if you are too busy at work etc., but when you are browsing the web or visit sites in your spare time, just keep in mind all the things we discussed in this Bootcamp. So if you see an interesting website etc, just write down that site's URL in your spreadsheet for future review, and then get back to that list when you have more time. Or quickly comment on someone's post, if it relates to your niche, so others would notice you. That doesn't take much time and you can do it when you are visiting those sites anyway.

Most of them are also on trend, which is not particularly important to me, but I'm sure it plays a big part what draws the masses.  I don't plan to ever be a trend bandwagon-er in my shop though.

Yes, trendy topics draw some traffic. Not sure store is the right place for that though, but what about your blog? Could you see yourself being a "trend bandwagon-er" there some day?  Undecided
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 04:23:01 am »

Hi Red Rock Designs,
I have a few comments/suggestions on blogging:

Regarding blogging, I have posted more blogs that I use to when I first started, but it's been hard trying to come up with new topics. Some days I post a photo with a small caption, other days I share a link to an interesting article.

I wouldn't use blog necessarily for sharing one off links and photos. Pinterest and Flickr are probably better for that... or maybe even Instagram, if you are on your mobile a lot. And if you just want to share a link, Twitter is ideal for that. You should diversify your promotional activities, so using several social media networks for different types of updates is a good strategy to keep your readers engaged.

If you are not sure what to blog about some days - visit other blogs for inspiration, try to connect and have a conversation with other crafters, when you visit craft events or, especially, when you participate in one. Hearing what's important to others can give you some ideas for your next post... or you can do a quick Google Keyword Research for topics that you find interesting, and see what people are searching for exactly, and if any of those keywords are on the rise (Google Trends provides that data). Hope this helps!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 04:37:38 am »

Great report JaJeJems and congrats on being top influencer!  Grin

Yes, it can be a lot of work posting new content and answering questions in support of your fan base, but I think the key is to find a topic that you yourself is passionate about. Otherwise, you won't be able to sustain the same level of engagement that your followers are used to. That lady in your example is probably very passionate about the causes that she supports and she probably also loves participating in contests and giveaways, even if they are not hers. That's probably why she is so active on Facebook - that doesn't feel like work to her!

I am happy to see that you observe and learn from others. So I'd say find a place, where you are the most comfortable and the topics that you are most passionate about. There are many social media networks, groups, forums, blogs and topics to choose from. And then try to be consistent with your updates and engaging with your fan base on regular bases.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 04:58:55 am »

FYI, I am not going to post new assignment next week. I want to give some of you a chance to digest what we've learned so far and to catch up with the assignments. I need some break too, so this is good for me as well.  Grin

Please keep working on trying to land more product reviews, commenting on blogs etc, work on your popularity  Wink and keep asking questions. We are not stopping completely, we are just taking a short break next week. 

I will post a new assignment again on Monday, May 13th.
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:15 pm »

Well so far I've asked for 2 reviews.  One from another vendor that makes jewelry and one from a group called Oakville Moms which a friend suggested.  I'm waiting on responses from both...I think that maybe Oakville Moms will require payment for a review, so that will be a no-go, but it doesn't say on their site...so I'll wait and see.

You may have covered this already, but if we're approaching other vendors who make the same product as we do, aren't we direct competitors?  How likely will they want to review a product that they can make?   

The jewelry vendor I contacted for a review incorporates satin & ribbon in her jewelry...its very different from what I make.  But I'm a bit hesitant about approaching other chainmaille vendors, who can make the same product as I do. 

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »

When it comes to direct competition, they might not be as open to an idea of a review, but they are the ideal people to approach. They could simply mention your store in one if the articles along with other jewelry designers and that would be enough. So it doesn't have to be a whole article about you. And you could mention them on your Twitter and Facebook in return. Just talk to them and see what they'd be willing to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Assignment 5, Bootcamp #5 - The Popularity Factor
Jump to:  
Click