Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  Wrong Keywords attract wrong traffic or don’t attract any
Pages: 1
Author

Wrong Keywords attract wrong traffic or don’t attract any

iCraft Admin

« on: November 22, 2009, 07:09:59 pm »

I've scanned a few Creator Exhibits today in search of the real good "bad" examples for this post. So here are a few that jumped out at me. I'll try to provide explanation for each of them.

1. Don't target broad, non-descriptive Keywords

Even though you sell Christmas Cards and, according to Google AdWords Keyword Tool, there are about 1,500,00 monthly searches for this phrase, don't target it, as it’s too broad.

Go on Google and perform a search for this phrase. You'll get something like 75,000,000 results for phrase "Christmas Cards".
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=christmas+cards&meta=&rlz=1R2GGLL_enCA351&aq=f&oq=

This tells me you have no shot at ranking high for this phrase. Too much competition, so don't even try.
Instead, optimize for relevant, specific keywords that will bring targeted traffic.
Go for low competition with most traffic keywords.

My guess “Santa's reindeers holiday greeting card”, or something like that, would be a better title for this product.

2. Don't use irrelevant Keywords
I am sure there is not much competition for "n36” and “n40”, but there is probably nobody searching for those keywords either.

Here are a few more examples:

Do you know how many people search for “Daphny Earrings” or “Mika Earrings”?
There are 36 and < 10 Global Monthly searches for those 2 key phrases respectively. In other words, nobody is using those phrases when they conduct their search. So why would you use them in your Title?

3. Don't use misleading Keywords
The title for this product says “Birthday Flowers”. The product shown below is not flowers. It’s a card.

Similarly, products shown below are not flowers. They are necklace and earrings.

You might have good page views using wrong keywords, but will have no sales. The reason being is that wrong keywords attract wrong traffic. Even if people click on your link and land on your page, they are looking for flowers, not jewelry. So they’ll click “Back” button, as soon as they realize they’ve made a mistake.

4. Don’t give every product page the same title
Another problem with the example above is that Google might label those 2 pages as duplicate content. Cloning products is a great time saver, but if your product titles and product descriptions are virtually identical, how would search engine differentiate between the two? It can't see images.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:12 pm »

When Google searches our product titles what are the default words that it finds (the ones that icraft puts in?)... like handmade? icraft? pillows and pillowcases?

Thanks
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:42:14 am »

Christine,

To answer your question (sorry, just noticed it) we add "Creator Name" + "Product Sub-Category" + "iCraftGifts.com" at the end of all Product Titles. So if you look at your own Product Titles, you'll see llines like "Modern Pillow in Purple and White Print 18x12 by PillowThrowDecor - Pillows, Pillowcases - iCraftGifts.com"

We insert "Creator Names" in Titles, so your products come up in search results when people search by your name.

"Sub-Category" is inserted, because not all Product Titles, that we grab from the product page, are well optimised.
At least "Sub Categories" like "Bracelets", "Earrings" or "Pillows, Pillowcases" provide users and search engines with some clue of what page is about.
Imagine you saw "Fluttering Bloom", as the title on search results page for this product #page has been deleted# Would you be able to guess what that is? The phrase "Wedding Accessories" that we inserted automatically into that Page Title helps a bit, right?
Pages: 1  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  Wrong Keywords attract wrong traffic or don’t attract any
Jump to:  
Click