Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Creator Spotlight  >  Re: 2009 December One of a Kind, Custom Woodwork Exhibitor
Pages: [1]
Author

Re: 2009 December One of a Kind, Custom Woodwork Exhibitor

AbeWong

« on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:41 am »

Hello all!

Do most of you know about the 2009 National One of a Kind Exhibit going on right now?

My father owns a wood machine shop and has recently completed a new line of hand finished wooden products (including the infamous 'Lazy Susan') and I was invited to help display this new line at the National 'One of a Kind' Exhibit in Toronto, ON on the 5th and 6th of December, 2009 (this coming weekend).  Since, I am rather inexperienced with this area, I was hoping to get as much advice and help from generous fellow crafters.

The goal of the exhibit is to share with prospective retail clients our operation and wide range of home decor products as well as the professional custom work services that we offer.

I encourage everyone to leave a comment, no matter how small because every little bit counts.

Thanks a million.

Warmest regards,

Abe Wong
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »

Wow... good for you in entering the show.  I went to the one in Vancouver and saw all kinds of really cool stuff.  I went to check it out if it was something I could do next year but I am "not big enough" yet.  Smiley

Suggestion... everytime you post something about it or your work always put in a link to what you are talking about such as the ontario show.  Also in your emails your signature should always have a link to your store... set it up in Outlook.

Go snoop around in our Bootcamp forum.  We have done 3 bootcamps and almost every day or at least every second day we introduced some new marketing ideas.

For me Twitter has just been awesome to introduce me to some of my local customers.  Not sure how that worked out other than I hunted down local Tweeps. I am having a lot of fun with it and it is paying off big time.

One local retailer that I met through another Twitter connection bought over 20 items the first time that I met her.  I have done 2 custom jobs for her and yesterday she bought another armful of my stuff to the tune of $700+++.

Hope this helps and please feel free to send me an email  or call me.  Happy to help a fellow icrafter.
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:38:44 pm »

The goal of the exhibit is to share with prospective retail clients our operation and wide range of home decor products as well as the professional custom work services that we offer.

I encourage everyone to leave a comment, no matter how small because every little bit counts.

Okay, so I have never done any kind of show and, while I have heard of the one-of-a-kind show, I have never been.

Above all else, time is precious.  Hook your buyers, and hook them fast:
- Practice your key lines (bootcamp has ideas on this - the "the value proposition").
- Have some flyers ready.  You can ony show so much in a booth but show in a nice, easy to carry, non-overwhelming flyer what it can look like installed in a "WOW" setting.  What other items do you have that you could not display in the booth?
- keep it simple - not overwhelming.  Check out the iCraft blog post by GalleriaLinda about her bold, simple advertising idea.
- make it easy to contact you - do you have an inquiries area on your website in addition to a traditional phone line?  The more accessible you are, the better.
- LISTEN.  As much as you need to sell your product, LISTEN to what your customers want.  Ask them questions if they are not forthcoming.  Let THEM talk and THEN tell them how your product can service that need.  To help you with this, put down a list of questions you would ask someone if you were doing their custom work.  Maybe you already have a standard questionnaire!

That's all I got.  May not be anything new, but one never knows unless one tries!
-Lisa.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:20:43 pm »

Good points Lisa.

I agree with having some printed material to hand out.  I saw some really high quality postcards.

Leave some sort of hook with them to give them reason to check you out more... I let people know that I only had 1/10the of my product line at my show.

Cheers
Christine
AbeWong

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:55:29 pm »

Super exciting!  This being the first official attempt to showcase our new series of woodwork pieces, I felt the show went very good.

Many thank you's to Christine and Lisa for your wonderful words of wisdom.  While at the show, I was constantly checking for replies on my lunch breaks and appreciate all the helpful advice.

The consensus from all your relies is to do the 'Boot Camp' at iCraftGifts.com and so be it.  Have not a clue what this might entail but I am sure this was recommended for a reason.  Sounds like it's time to break a sweat!

They're taking reservations for April, 2010 National One of a Kind Exhibit already and I am hoping that be enough time to thoroughly complete Boot Camp as well as begin sharing with fellow crafters what we do, at iCraftGifts.com.

Please keep in touch and thanks a million.

Kind regards,

Abe Wong
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Creator Spotlight  >  Re: 2009 December One of a Kind, Custom Woodwork Exhibitor
Jump to:  
Click