Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  Washing Pillows
Pages: [1]
Author

Washing Pillows

Zs Knees

« on: May 26, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »

For those of you who make pillows, how do you know what washing instructions to give?

My pillows are odd shaped, so it's not practical to make pillow forms and covers.

I want to be able to say machine wash on the gentle cycle, but I don't want anyone to end up with the dreaded Lumpy Pillow.

I tried to find answers online, but they're conflicting. Anyone have any insight?
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:22:35 pm »

I have hand washed with no problem at all.

I confess to throwing pillows into my wash machine too... feather ones also... very gentle cycle.  If I absolutely have to I will put in dryer but with NO HEAT. I prefer, however to put them out on the sundeck to air dry.

I will go and check some of my other saved bookmarks.  I think one of my supplies had some really good suggestions too.

More later,

Christine
Zs Knees

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:46:14 am »

Thanks Christine

So it's the dryer that makes the lumps???

Would you feel comfortable telling buyers to machine wash gentle and air dry?

Jeffie
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:20:44 am »

Still looking on my computer for a couple of articles I saved. I will keep looking.
Zs Knees

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 07:38:23 pm »

Think I got it--

On the stuffing package it just says "washable" and that's really vague... but finally I found on poli-fil.com some more specific info.

Sounds like gentle cycle + air dry is the way, so you were right! And I'm really relieved that my kids' pillows can be tossed in the machine, I think that'll help with sales. Cheesy
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:22:49 pm »

I'm glad you were able to find somwthing on them.  I have looked but couldn't find the article on polyfil but dfid find something on down pillows and duvets.  I saved it from somewhere and would give the author credit if I knew who it was.

So here it is....

It is recomended that DOWN Pillows be washed. It's quite simple. Wash your DOWN Comforter once a year and Pillows twice each year.
Use hot water. Set machine on extra rinse cycle if you have one. Start the machine. Fill with water. Add one-half cup detergent or non-detergent soap.
Permit machine to run 30 seconds to thoroughly mix soap and water. Stop machine. Place the comforter or 2 pillows into the water and push under and squeeze out as much air as you can. Down is very buoyant and floats high on top of water -- it doesn't want to get wet so it may take a little work but it's worth it. Permit Comforter to remain one-half to one hour soaking and Pillows about two hours, then squeeze out the air again, or if you have a pre-soak cycle on your machine use that instead. Start the machine and complete the washing cycle.
Place into dryer set on HIGH heat. Monitor the drying by checking on your item about every 15 to 20 minutes. Shake vigorously in all directions and place back in dryer. Repeat this process until its light and fluffy. Monitor your dryer often, as you will want to take the item out of the dryer immediately when dry. Some dryer drums get hot and may not be good for your Down item if left after your dryer stops. Shake well and Sleep well.
This information is to be used as a guide on washing DOWN Comforters and Pillows . We cannot be responsible for other manufacturers' fabrics, sewing techniques or washers and dryer idiosyncrasy.
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Art, Crafts & Fashion Chat  >  Washing Pillows
Jump to:  
Click