Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Shared Content  >  Fast Fashion - an Environmental Disaster
Pages: [1]
Author

Fast Fashion - an Environmental Disaster

Maple Leaf

« on: November 24, 2016, 01:15:36 am »

CLOTHING is the world's 2nd largest polluter after oil.

Shared content:
Fast Fashion - an Environmental Disaster
The average American throws away 82 pounds of clothes every single year. Here is the devastating toll "fast fashion" is taking on our planet.
Read full story
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:24:19 am by Maple Leaf »
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:19:48 pm »

I had already heard of this. The reason it piles up is that so many fabrics contain synthetics. Natural fabrics are more likely to naturally and harmlessly break down. But synthetics don't and also release unnatural stuff into the environment when they do.

My cousin has a policy: No new jeans for 10 years. It's not an environmental or budget conscious decision. It's weight management. He has to fit into the same size of pants for at least 10 years. Keeps him going to the gym and watching what he eats! But it definitely also helps the wallet and the environment too. Not a bad policy huh?

There are so many things that can be made with discarded fabrics - not just traditionally sewn things, but art on canvases, wreaths, and book covers too as examples of nontraditional uses of fabric. I bought an upcycled purse that used discarded upholstery fabric for a liner - SUPER durable and very lovely too.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:23:07 am »

I like your cousin's policy. Smart guy! We should all adopt it Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Shared Content  >  Fast Fashion - an Environmental Disaster
Jump to:  
Click