Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Assignment 1, Bootcamp #6 - Store Reviews
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Author

Assignment 1, Bootcamp #6 - Store Reviews

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« on: June 01, 2014, 11:20:33 pm »

Hello Bootcampers,

So how's everyone doing? Hope you are all ready to put in some hard work and sweat for the next 4 weeks, well, ok, maybe not sweat, but hard work for sure!  Cool

First of all, here is the list of all 6 participants for this Bootcamp.
Please tell me if I got that right or not.

Unique Bundle

Gen3studioS

NoriandChasesCorner

Jewelry Made With Love

Hofkissed

Ninaross Designs

Second, Lannie (aka WordsAndMore) will be helping me with this Bootcamp, so please welcome her to this team!

WordsAndMore

Assignment for this week

• As always, we are going to kick off this Bootcamp by reviewing each others stores and fixing whatever issues we think need to be fixed. There is no point in promoting a store that doesn't have a good chance of converting visitors into buyers. So please start by clicking on the links provided above and write down your feedback for each participant.

We are no looking for in-depth analyses, only your first impressions. Pretend that you are a customer and wonder if you'd by from each store and why. Focus on images, copy, titles, keywords, prices, shipping charges etc. What stands out for you? What did you really like or didn't like about each store.

Also, please be open to any feedback without taking it personally. We are only trying to help you find new ways of improving your store.

• Post your feedback/store critique on each seller by end of day Wednesday, June 4th.

• Use Thursday and Friday to implement changes to your store that you feel necessary from the feedback that you've received earlier that week.

• Use weekends to catch up if you are behind on the assignments, or take them off to enjoy nice weather  Wink

• Ask any questions any time you have them by posting them on this thread.

• We are going to work as a team for the next 4 weeks, so feel free to jump in and offer help to others whenever you can.

• Check for New Assignment every Monday.

Good Luck everyone! Kiss

Just a reminder:
Daily Assignments will be posted here https://icraftgifts.com/forum/b16/daily-assignments/ and tagged with Bootcamp #6 Keyword.
It's actually a bit easier to see all assignments on Sellers Bootcamp's main page https://icraftgifts.com/sellers_bootcamp.php
You can get email notifications to forum discussions if you click on "Notify me of replies" under "Additional Options" below message.
You can also follow Bootcamp Twitter account @sellersbootcamp which will have all new posts to the above thread.
Unique Bundle

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:13:51 pm »

Do we post to this "reply" at the bottom of the page, and just identify the "shop" that we are commenting on??
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:17:41 pm »

Yes, exactly!
Unique Bundle

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:40:06 pm »

Starting at the bottom and working up… NinaRoss Designs.. Photo quality is good..pricing= reasonable, Quality of work is good.  My suggestions would be more photos.  If I'm going to spend more than $20.00 on an item I want to see the clasp, and more about the piece and how it's constructed.  You could possibly expound on the descriptions of the pieces.. I have to work really hard on this one, so I know it's not easy.. More is better when it comes to description and photos..helps encourage the customer to feel they have made a good choice in selecting your products.  Good work!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:44:28 pm by Unique Bundle »
Unique Bundle

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »

Hofkissed-  I am into all kinds of crafting, but paper/scrap booking isn't my relm at all.  The photos seem to represent the product well, they seem to be creative, cover a variety of occasions and pricing seems very fair.  Hallmark gets tons in comparison, and they are mass produced, so I see the value in your products. 
Unique Bundle

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »

Jewelry made with Love:  Photos are mixed..some good quality, some could improve.  Descriptions of items do not include length of necklace or bracelet, and many times does not give, to me.. enough of a description of the materials used.  If you do not show the closure of the piece, might I suggest you at least put "Lobster Claw or Toggle" clasp for example.  A better description of the metals, again, this is a "Thing" I personally have, …is it gold/silver plate, is it gold/silver Filled.  Perhaps gold/silver tone is a description, and I just missed that.  I am just now, with this economy not using only Sterling or Gold/filled-plated, so I could be off base with this observation.  You have a nice variety of styles and choices/ price points and are on the right track.
Unique Bundle

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »

Noriandchasescorner:  Well, first of all, I don't think you ever get the $$ for the time you put into knitted or crochet items.. Hats off to you for all the hard work.  My suggestions would be better photos..that goes without saying… you are a crafter not a photographer, right?  That's one of the hardest things for me.. I work really hard on them, and still feel I could improve.  It helps with sales.  I love fiber, so for me, I would like to see more descriptions of the type of yarns being used.  One or two of the items viewed had "Acrylic" but most didn't mention the fiber, but you did say "machine washable"..  These days some Wools are washable, so it could be helpful?? 
Unique Bundle

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:04:37 pm »

Gen3StudioS:  You need a body of work, it takes so much time to do this, but you knew that!  Again, hats off to you..I've been making Jewelry for over 50years, and Chainmail (SP??) just wasn't for me, but I love it!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:42:15 pm by Unique Bundle »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »

Great job, unique bundle!    Grin
And I thought you'll be the one behind this week
Unique Bundle

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:08:59 pm »

Trying to get a leg up, I will be gone next week.. can't wait to hear the other posts.  I think this could be very helpful for sure.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:26:23 pm »

Good strategy, Unique Bundle!  Cool
How's everyone else doing? Any questions? Any Progress?
Btw, you can post your feedback for all stores in a single message, just separate them with a line.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 04:20:18 pm »

Hello Bootcampers,
How is it going? Please post your progress and questions, so we know you are working on this week's assignment. Thanks!
Hofkissed

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:20 am »

Alright, here are my first impressions. I did not comment on pricing because I'm not familiar with these industries &/or costs of materials, but prices seem fair for handcrafted products.

Unique Bundle:
- Your pictures are eye-catching & product has good write-ups
- It would be nice to see your products displayed on a person as well (no faces though) to get an idea of proportions
- Try to encourage more feedback from your customers - you sold 44 products but have only had 1 person give feedback.

Gen3sudioS:
- Good write-up on your store & why you started
- No inventory? Do you only offer custom?

NoriandChasesCorner:
- I like the continuity in your photos, but some are blurry (hand woven heart friendship bracelet)
- Good write-up, like that its a family-run business
- is there a reason you don't ship to Canada?

Jewelry Made with Love:
- Love that you offer custom pieces and like your story
- Good feedback that currently reflects your sales
- Your pictures show your product well, but I personally like pictures to show continuity. I think when they all look similar (i.e. all taken on the white cloth), customers will start to recognize your product before they even read that it's your store. I think a neutral background works (really pops the colours in your jewelry) and make sure it's clean and wrinkle-free.
- Like I mentioned for Unique Bundle... possible to show jewelry on a model?

Ninaross Designs:
- Would like to see a more detailed write-up. How you started, etc.
- Like the continuity in your photos
- Not all products offer dimensions and like the other jewelry designers, would be nice to see your products modeled
- Why do you list the shipping prices twice (and at slightly different rates)?

Great first assigment!

Lannie

Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 10:28:49 am »

Hi there. Here are my first-glance comments on the stores participating in this Bootcamp. Any of my comments not clear? Let me know! And remember, we're hoping to have everyone's comments by the end of today, Wednesday. That will give us a couple of days to make adjustments before Assignment 2.

Unique Bundle:
 - Text: Love your intro! Suggest adding paragraph breaks to make reading easier.
 - Images: are clear, well photographed. You have made good use of the additional images allowed for each product to show various aspects of the product.
 - Keywords: words or phrases that you think people might use in a search engine to find the products in your store. You have included some of your keywords from “Lampwork beads/jewelry, leather, mixed metal, glass jewelry“, in your introduction – great!
Your store name does not have a keyword in it, but it’s definitely an eye catcher.
 - Product titles: Yours are descriptive, think in terms of keywords as well
 - Prices: seem reasonable - not too high, but not undervalued either
 - Returns and Refunds: On the product pages, the returns and refunds areas seems clear. However, not sure what this means: I will ONLY exchange for any reason other than defect. Perhaps rephrase as something like: Exchange is ONLY available if the problem is not a defect. (?) This is a tricky one.

Nina Ross Designs:
 - Text: Consider adding a bit more information to your intro, and include more keywords, for example about the materials you use, like the variety of gemstones and the type of wire, etc.
 - Product titles: Seem clear and descriptive to me.
 - Prices: your prices are not cheap, and this reflects the quality of your work. Does this focus you towards a certain target audience?
 - Perhaps talk about some of the uses of your creations in your intro and more specifically in your product descriptions.
 - Images: I agree with Unique Bundle in that it would be useful to take advantage of the option to include additional images for each item. There are some of us out here who actually don’t know what a ‘lobster clasp’ is!
The quality of the images is good. In some, I find that too many other gemstones in the same picture confuse the eye a bit.  Perhaps feature some items on or with one of the larger stones you can see in the pictures.
 - Shipping: A little confusing, as CAD shipping is nice and clear and bulleted, whereas USD shipping is in a basic paragraph. Also suggest putting “Orders are generally shipped in 24-48 hrs”, etc, as a separate paragraph, as it applies to all your shipping, not just the US.

Really loved your blog series on gemstones. I learned a lot, and it told me that you are very knowledgeable about your craft, and find it beautiful, worthwhile and invigorating.

HofKissed
 - Really like the design of your logo. The information in your intro is interesting and very informative. Perhaps review it for keywords that buyers might use to find your products.
 - Images: Good use of the extra images available for each item.
 - Prices: very reasonable.
 - Shipping options and returns and refunds are clear and concise and informative. If “Prices include shipping, handling & taxes”, do you need to list the specific shipping to US, Canada and worldwide?
 - Product titles Could be more descriptive, e.g. Birthday Minis. If you can include keywords in product titles, so much the better.

You have been interviewed and featured in “In the Spotlight” blog, and I think this is a great idea, for people to get to know you and your store a little more. It’s also good exposure for your store on the internet.

Jewelry Made With Love
 - Text: I like your “Welcome" line at the top of your store page.  Suggest adding paragraph breaks to your intro make the reading easier, and including some keywords that buyers might use to find your products.
 - Product titles: What is AB?
 - Images: Nice use of additional pictures allowed. As Unique Bundle has mentioned, it would be helpful to have a close-up of the Lobster Claw clasp. (not everyone even knows what it is)
 - Shipping Options and Returns & Refunds. Very clear and concise .
Prices: show that you value your work, yet you haven’t priced yourself out of the target audiences’ range.

Attractive, welcoming store!

NoriandChasesCorner

- Text: Really nice intro - suggest adding paragraph breaks to make reading easier. I like your copy throughout the site
 - Prices: Range of prices reflects the range of products well.
 - Images: Nice use of images and additional images for products
 - Shipping Options: Since shipping to Canada is not yet available, perhaps put the Shipping costs in USD?

Really nice store. Your professionalism as well as your family love of crafting shine through.

Gen3studioS
 - I like your intro – it’s friendly and welcoming.
 - Pictures: On your Avatar, maybe something more close up to highlight the intricacy of your work?
 - You’ll have to list at least a few items to get started.

I’m looking forward to seeing some of your creations!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 12:14:36 pm »

Great feedback Hofkissed!
Lannie, thanks for your detailed notes!  Grin
How are the rest of you doing? Please don't hesitate to ask questions.
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 01:11:57 am »

Hello all. I just wanted to let you know we are having an issue with our internet. Was going to go somewhere to use it when we had a family mishap. I'm using my phone to check in. Don't want to do critiques on something I can barely see. If all goes well, I hope to get them posted for you tomorrow. Thanks.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 04:18:33 am »

Hi NoriandChasesCorner,
Thanks for letting us know what's happening. Please try to submit your answers by end of day Thursday, if not, until end of the week. Thanks!
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 02:21:40 pm »

Sorry I'm so late for starting.  Just had my right knee total replacement done on Monday and am finally home.  I tried to get online while at the hospital but everyone said I made no sense in any writing that I did. I'm going to work now on the assignment.  Just wanted to let you know what is happening on my end.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 08:08:25 pm »

Oh wow, you don't have to participate, Jewelry Made With Love. Feel free to take time to recover. Hope everything is fine and thanks for letting us know.
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 01:17:45 am »

I am going to do my best to participate. I'm not feeling so drugged finally and so tomorrow is a new day and  I hope to be able to do some reviews and corrections on my store.  Thanks for understanding.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:00 am »

Ok, sounds good. Glad to hear you are feeling better.  Grin
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 02:17:17 am »

Here are a few things that I noticed. Please remember they are just what caught my eye and are only my opinion.

Unique Bundle:
              Pictures over all looked nice. To me the background used for the grape earnings did not make them stand out the way your other items do.
              Descriptions, some of them had random capitalized words throughout. I got distracted from the item trying to decide if it was intentional or typos. Which is a shame because you have very beautiful pieces. Also watch out for repetitive text within a description.
               Tags could be utilized more.
                I don't know enough about the prices for this kind of jewelry to comment. However, if I had the extra money I would definitely own some of those pieces.

Hofkissed

Prices seemed very reasonable.
           Descriptions: Try incorporating colors & occasion into description.
                                    Example: Party dress, Birthday
                                      You have "stunning black, pink, & blue card". This won't make me look.
                                       You might try "stunning die-cut dress featuring delicate doilies, pink accents, & a blue hand cut flower on a black background". Now I'm curious enough to look.
                                     Example: Floral Birthday, Blue
                                       If someone is doing a search, they are only getting the description.
                                      Try to put what kind of card it is and watch out for repetitive text.

"This birthday card has lots of texture with paper flowers in shades of blue that highlight message"

Jewelry Made With Love

Pictures: I would suggest ironing the dropcloth that the necklaces are on to give it a more pristine look.
                          Descriptions: Try to be careful with repetitive wording within a description.
                           Tags could be utilized a little more on some of the items.
                          Prices: I like that you offer a variety from high-end to children's pieces with prices to match.

Ninaross Designs

Pictures: pretty good. I noticed a few of the items tended to blend in with the green they were setting on.
                  I have no idea about prices on this kind of jewelry.
                   Overall I thought your store looked good.

Gen3sudioS
          I would like to see more before I comment.         
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »

Here is my 2 cents worth on everyone's store:

Unique Bundle: Your pictures all look great to me. I agree with NoriandChasesCorner about your descriptions. The prices seem good to me but I'm not expert in the style of jewelry you make.

Gen3sudioS:  Nothing to comment on as you have no product to view

Hofkissed:  I liked everything about your store. Prices seem fair and your work is great.  Adding more description about the cards would be good to add, but that is all I can think of.

NoriandChasesCorner: I really liked everything about your store. The family passion shows through throughout the store.

Ninaross Designs: I like how your pictures all turned out. The only question would be about your prices, they seem a little high to me. I don't know much about the making of the chains so I could be wrong here.
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »

Lannie,
        You commented about shipping cost being put in USD. Could you please direct me to where you saw that they were not. I having a problem finding it to fix it. Thanks.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 06:16:25 pm »

So what kind of changes everyone has made to their store? Did you find all the feedback to be useful?
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »

All feedback was very useful. I've changed the abbreviation for AB to Aurora Borealis on each listing. Also tried to take out repetitions in my descriptions.  I also tried to list if chains were silver or gold plated. Made sure that Swarovski was spelled right on those using it.  Redid my intro to my store. 

The only thing left to do is to retake some of the pictures. I need hubby to help by ironing my white drop cloth.

Should the cloth be white or should I change it to a tan/beige color?  What do you all think?
Lannie

Administrator

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 07:30:28 pm »

Hi NoriandChasesCorner:

I noticed this on your product pages in the Shipping section, for example on this page: https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/44681/reversible-mans-afghan-country-blue-and-green.php. Your Shipping Options says "Shipping to US: $16.40 CAD ($9.84 CAD when combined with another item) by USPS."

If you're based in the US, you'd most likely want to use US currency, You can set the currency used in your store on your member profile page, accessed through your account page.

Hope this helps!

Lannie

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 09:44:18 pm »

Jewelry Made With Love, I'd choose white background to contrast with your jewelry. That always looks nice.
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »

OK, so stay with white unless otherwise needed?

Sorry just saw the white in your post.  So I'll only use a different color if my piece is white then I'll use black.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:59:21 pm by Jewelry Made With Love »
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 01:31:30 am »

Lannie: Ok, we may have an issue here. When I checked the currency settings earlier,  it said USD. I also never use cents other than .50. So I do not understand why it is now saying numbers I wouldn't have used. I'm thankful you happened to catch this but am a bit concerned about how it happened.

Jewelry Made With Love: It tickles me to no end that you have a hubby that would do that for you. I agree on the white. The pictures were good but the creases took away from your jewelry. I wouldn't stress to much over it til you are back on your feet.
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 01:49:23 am »

Thanks NoriandChasesCorner. I'm sure he'll do it for me if he thinks that I might be able to finally sell something if it gets done.

I'm doing very well in the recovery process. I'm walking with the walker and sometimes take small jaunts without it. I can sit in my recliner with my foot touching the ground for close to a half hour before it needs to be straighten out. On the machine that makes it bend I'm already at the 110 degrees in flexing the knee. I'm trying to get healed as fast as I can as the other knee will be done as soon as I can do it.
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 02:06:29 am »

Jewelry made with Love: Good for you!! I know the ones that I know who have had that surgery have all said that was what made all the difference in their recovery. Keep it up.

Lannie: I went back and double checked, everything is showing USD for the currency. I even went through you link to see if it showed something different but it shows USD too. I'm at a loss.
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 10:51:13 am »

I've heard many horror stories of people who don't work on their joints and never get full movement back. I have to get full movement back so  that the other knee can get replaced and so that I can finally be a great grandma instead of a lump on the couch and dull.  I want to be  able to play with them and I really can't do it the way I am now.
Lannie

Administrator

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 12:34:50 pm »

Hi NoriandChasesCorner: This currency issue is puzzling to me too. Shocked  I'm in Canada - not sure how the system could know that... Perhaps others could check the page too please?  (https://icraftgifts.com/handmade/44681/reversible-mans-afghan-country-blue-and-green.php) Admin, can you help sort this out?

Jewelry Made With Love, way to go! With your positive attitude you'll heal quickly and your lucky grandkids will soon have an active and fun Grandma!
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »

Jewelry Made With Love: I'm glad you feel the importance of being a great grandmother. My grandmother is 85 and she still expects my children and now her 3 yr old great great granddaughter to come stay with her over Xmas break and through out the summer. And although they all understand that Grandma has to take a nap to keep going, they would be lost if she wasn't involved while they are there. All of your grandchildren are blessed that you want to be an active grandmother.
Lannie

Administrator

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 09:01:17 pm »

NoriandChasesCorner: I figured out what the issue is with the currency. It's actually nothing to worry about, and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it right away. Embarrassed I have cookies set on my machine, which means that the iCraft system remembers what I set my currency at, and automatically displays all currency I see on the site as Canadian! It's a great customization feature to make things smooth and easy for buyers. So sorry if I worried you needlessly.
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 09:16:08 pm »

Lannie: I'm actually glad that's all it was. Don't be embarrassed. I do things like that all the time. Thanks for letting me know.
Jewelry Made With Love

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:12 pm »

NoriandChasesCorner    I found out tonight that I may have overdone it on the excersize    I have a swollen spot under the knee cap that may or may not be normal. I will find out tomorrow at 7am physical therapy.  I was told to cut back some and see what happens.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:04 pm »

I only saw a report from "Jewelry Made With Love" so far. Can everyone else please post their report on this week's assignment?
How many changes have you managed to make to your store this week? Thanks!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2014, 11:47:48 pm »

Unfortunately, since we didn't hear this week from Gen3studios & Ninaross Designs, they are out.
I am re-posting the updated list of participants for this Bootcamp.

Unique Bundle

NoriandChasesCorner

Jewelry Made With Love

Hofkissed
NoriandChasesCorner

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 09:49:54 am »

Icraft Admin: I have been going through my descriptions looking for errors, better ways to word things and adding the type of yarn, if I can still remember what it was. I also added the suggested paragraph breaks. I will be redoing some of the pictures but no promises on how fast those come.

Jewelry Made With Love: Don't over do it. You have been given a wonderful opportunity to be able to sit down and focus on your store without the guilt that you should be up doing something else. Exercise like your suppose to but also use your downtime to make the most of your store and your craft. Then when you're on your feet again you will have plenty of time for activity. Especailly while doing this bootcamp. Two birds, one stone.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:52 pm »

Thanks for the update, NoriandChasesCorner!
Just try to finish everything asap to focus on this weeks assignment.
Lannie

Administrator

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »

Hofkissed and Unique Bundle:  Please let the group know what you have adjusted in your stores as a result of our reviews. Did you find the feedback useful? Did you run into any issues you want to share?
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Assignment 1, Bootcamp #6 - Store Reviews
Jump to:  
Click