Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Assignment 3, Bootcamp #5 - Product Reviews
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Author

Assignment 3, Bootcamp #5 - Product Reviews

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 01:24:01 am »

Hi Fairy Cardmaker,

"Approaching people" is not anyone's thing.  Cheesy It's hard. The easier way is to pay for reviews and links, but who has that kind of budget, right? So we have to be creative and find other ways of getting those backlinks. I suggest starting by establishing connections and building relationships online with other cardmakers. Once you know more about them, you'll see what you could do for them in exchange for the links. As I said before, it has to be a win/win.

If that fellow cardmaker reviews your new card posted in your store and mentions it with a link back to your product page, and hopefully, one link to your iCraft store on her blog, that's exactly what you want! There is no issue with the duplicate content, as she is adding her commentary and not posting product photo with products descriptions as is posted on your page.

As for the second post, yes, use slightly different copy and mention who you are with the link to your store (and maybe your blog as well). The goal is to have at least 1 link to your store from other sites, so guess blogging is ideal for that.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 01:47:01 am »

Hi Kat,

Don't get discouraged, but at the same time don't expect things to happen fast. You are just trying something new that you haven't done before, so take smaller steps. As long as you move in the right direction, it's all good!  Grin

If you think you won't be successful asking those bloggers for a review, then don't! Instead, do a review on them and mention that to them on their Facebook or Blog. Do something for them and there is a chance they'll mention you on their site or re-tweet your post. You might not get a direct backlink, but some mention from others, which is all part of building connections, and essentially, visibility online, can go a long way.

Btw, did you ask frugal mommy to remove those excessive links from her review? Those are not good links, as they don't have right anchor text that you need, and too many of the links with different anchor text, but pointing to the same page, looks spammy, so you definitely want to get rid of those.
JaJeJems

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 08:28:44 am »

I am also not good at approaching people and I have made a lot of comments and sent emails that have turned out to be dead ends - no interest in starting a conversation, one word responses etc.  I reviewed all those hot prospects that I thought I had last week and have narrowed it down to a couple.  I added a person to my list who had contacted me months ago about doing a product review-back before I knew that was a good thing.  I checked out her blog again and decided to contact her.  She wants people to donate jewellery for prizes.  She is going to do a blog about us but not until October!  I also went back to a site called Flourish & Thrive Academy where you can apply for them to do a product review.  They have sent me a list of questions to answer so basically I write it myself.  That doesn't bother me but I may need some advice on anchor text etc.  Won't send it until we talk.  I like the site.  

Went back to the Fashion Designer blog that I loved last week-still think her content is interesting and fun but I am not as sure now if it would be a good place?   She has a ton of ads flashing everywhere on the site.  Putting it aside for now.

Met a lampwork beader from England who is setting up a studio in her boat.  I was thinking of asking her if I could do a blog on her set up which, based on what admin just wrote might be a good idea.  Another lampworker that I met sends her beads away to be annealed which is very unusual and another sea glass designer has a new studio so that might also give me some good blogging material and I did already do her a favour by pointing out that  I was unable to comment on her blogs.  She is going to get that fixed pretty quickly.

Don't get discouraged Kat!  I was last week and I still feel that some of the people on my list are out of my league too!  You should be encouraged - you already have a review!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:25:05 am by JaJeJems »
JaJeJems

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 10:26:52 am »

Just a question.  Has anyone else been on a website called Hybrid Her?  They match up designers and "mavens".  Not sure what to make of it.

Another thought.  I met a jewellery designer thru Facebook who has a website and blogs regularly.  It looks newish but she does ask for Input to her blogs.  I commented on one of her blogs and got a reply.  I thought one approach would be to give her a seaglass pendant or glass bead(s) to use in her jewellery maybe in a exchange for a mention or blog review.  I think my question is:  should I spend my time pursuing  a review on a site that is new and not well established?
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 10:33:05 am »

Frugel mommy fixed the links
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:55 am »

Yes, I saw that, Kat. Looks much better! Keep this in mind in the future and maybe communicate that upfront.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:14 am »

Hi JaJeJems,

I would if the site looks alive and promoted regularly on social media. You could get away with something smaller in exchange for a link on those sites - like mention her site on your FB page. If she is new, she is trying to promote her site too.
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 07:33:09 pm »

I haven't asked for reviews directly either.  I have commented on a few blogs and Facebook photos.  I've posted other people's jewelry and items in my Tumblr blog, but I'm not sure if the artist actually knows I did it.  Undecided

I thought about sending out messages offering a reciprocal type of blog post....you review me and I review you.  Not sure if that would get a lot of responses. 
I did get a Facebook Like from someone that I contacted!

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 08:51:45 am »

Hi Red Rock Designs,

You should let other crafters know that you mentioned them on your blog. Just send a quick message saying how much you appreciate their work and mention your store. They may re-tweet your blog post or mention your blog or your store on their site or FB page. That's how you can get some links without asking for them.

However, I mentioned before that we don't really want reciprocal links from one site to another. So ideally, you'd mention her on your blog and she mentions your iCraft store on hers. Do you see the difference? Reciprocal links are no ideal, as they kinda cancel each other. You your FB page, your other social media platforms or even iCraft blog for this reason. (though it would have to be a pretty interesting post for us to approve it. Cheesy )

If you are going to do a review of someone else's work, it's probably better to write about 3-4 different artists in the same post, incorporating a theme into it, like "Chainmaille Jewelry Ideal for Spring", featuring many pieces of various jewelry designers. Then, you email all those guys with questions or tell them after you post it, if you have enough info to write that post without their input.

Either way, you will probably get a couple links from those people only because they'd want share your article where they were mentioned. Think what would you do if someone mentioned you in their review? You'd want to let everyone know, right? Smiley
Jewelry by Kat

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 08:54:23 am »

This is what happened this week.  I spent HOURS looking for beading jewelry people who blog.  Most of what I found was bead weaving, wire wrapping or people far advanced over my head.  I did try to contact 3 of them and got no response. 
        But as for reviews, I have been having fun.  Only they are not with jewelry people.  They only do reviews and giveaways.  They have alot of followers too. I did have a review and giveaway done in exchange for pieces.  And 3 days later I was approached for a small fee to have a review done, I did.  There seems to be alot of traffic to my store, I am keeping tract-185 visitors in 2 days.  I also have another review in exchange for pieces coming up, the pieces are in the mail.  So that is 3 reviews but not by fellow jewelers.
       I also wrote a blog about a metalist who I get some pendants from. Unfortunately I had to put the blog on my website, but I want to share the experience because it has been so much fun. I have really gotten to know this person and she has generously gifted many pendants. I felt compelled to write a blog about her and her craft and she was thrilled and excited. She had all her friends check it out.  So I had an increase in traffic and free products and so much fun.
     So the week has been productive, meeting great people and the fun and happy feelings too.
JaJeJems

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 11:20:09 am »

Wow Kat you don't sound discouraged now.  Guess I had better pull up my sox today!  Good work!
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:49 pm »

That's great, Kat! And you are not even a professional link builder. You'll get better and better, if you keep practicing.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:52:31 am by iCraft Admin »
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 10:56:46 am »

So how did the rest of you do this week? Any more success stories, lessons learned, new connections? SilverDawnJewe­lry is out, as I haven't heard from her all week. So we now have only 4 people participating. Oh well...  Roll Eyes at least it's an even number, so I could pair you up for the next assignment.  Wink
JaJeJems

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 12:28:36 pm »

Here I am with my week's summary.  Not as impressive as Kat, I am afraid!

Approached two lampworkers about writing blogs about their studios - waiting for responses
Approached two jewellery designers about product reviews on their sites - waiting for responses

All of these are people who I have had ongoing conversations with so I am expecting at least a response from them

I have a product review booked for October with a fashion jewellery blogger

I have two sites that I am supposed to write blogs for - have the guidelines, just have to write them Smiley

Still commenting etc on blogs and websites but a lot of people just don't respond.

Still having fun!

iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »

That's a great attitude, JaJeJems!   Grin

You've done a lot actually. Looks like you have a long-term strategy, which is great. I'd suggest keeping track of all those activities and future commitments in a spreadsheet or a schedule, or even add those events to your mobile or web Calendar, so you get alerts and follow up with others on time.

Also, keep track in a separate column the number of backlinks you are getting and from which sites. So you know who to approached already. Over time you may forget and ask the same people again.  Embarrassed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All  
Main  >  Sellers’ Bootcamp  >  Daily Assignments  >  Assignment 3, Bootcamp #5 - Product Reviews
Jump to:  
Click