Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  Pitching your products to retail and independent stores
Pages: [1]
Author

Pitching your products to retail and independent stores

Bomb La Bon Bon

« on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »

Hi guys,

I have a question to anyone who has tried or is trying and has been successful with regards to offering to sell their products to retail stores, specifically the ones specializing in unique gifts, handcrafted items, etc

I was thinking of researching the store possibilities that might be remotely interested in carrying my products. How should I go about it? Is it best to go personally to the store with samples, business cards etc ready at hand and talk to the owner, or should the owner be emailed /called first. I just feel if one was to go in person, then the chances of pitching your products to the owners/ manager and be accepted are much better.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, enjoy the long weekend!
Red Rock Designs

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »

Hi,
I have attempted to do this with my jewelry, consignment with stores.  Since I work full time (not in jewelry making) it was best for me to send emails.  I emailed a lot of stores and boutiques providing them with a link to this site, so they could see my pieces.  Unfortunately, less than half replied back to me.   So my advice is don’t send emails.

I came away with : if you’re serious about doing consignment, you need to physically go to the store with a few items & business cards and ask for the owner or manager.   This way, they see you as being serious about your business, because you are doing the leg work.  And they may want to inspect the durability and workmanship, to make sure products don’t fall apart – because it’s their reputation too.  And who knows how many other artisans/crafters are sending emails.  It’s better to stand out and personally go to the store. 

Your items are certainly original & I’ve never seen them in any stores before.  Good luck.
(I still have to carve out time to do my own leg work  :/ )
Bibi
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:02:57 am »

I haven't tried it, but I think in-person makes the best impression.  Everyone tells me my stuff looks better in person.

I have read tips about this before and the best one is be prepared.  Walk in ready to walk out with a sale:
- be confident
- bring a good selection (you can always offer to bring more at a scheduled time)
- have your terms in writing that you can leave them a copy.  Leave fill-in-the blanks if there are negotiables (kind of like how a real estate agreement looks sometimes)
- have your wholesale price list with you (possibly optional if you are doing consignment, but who knows - they may prefer to buy outright)
- have your suggested retail price list ready for them too

That's what I can remember from reading other tips.  Let us know how it goes!
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Marketing & Advertising  >  Pitching your products to retail and independent stores
Jump to:  
Click