Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Talent Search  >  Looking for THE ornament
Pages: [1]
Author

Looking for THE ornament

sherryrowe

« on: December 04, 2010, 08:22:25 am »

I've looked and looked, and I just haven't found the right ornament. We get a special keepsake ornament for our daughter to open on Christmas Eve, and I just can't find the right one. It needs to be sturdy or unbreakable (not something fragile like blown glass), and it has to fit who she is this year. She's 10, unusually small, likes her hip hop dance class, Harry Potter, and crafts (tape, glitter pens, and glue are going in her stocking), favorite colors are blue and green, and she has a VERY Punky Brewster style. She's constantly mismatching her clothes (stripes and plaid, crazy colors, etc). I can't decide if I want to go in a serious-life-message direction or if I want something silly and whimsical to capture her current obsession with being strange. Does anyone have something that might fit the bill? Thanks!
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:28:06 pm »

I attempted something... not super thrilled with the result.  Have an idea for a modification.  I will try to get some photo's in the daylight to show.

I'm not convinced I will have your answer, but I thought I'd give your thread a bump.  Wink
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:29:16 pm »

Ok, so here's what I came up with.  The first one has the transparent outline.  I found it came out flimsy.  So, I went back to the drawing board and stacked some cardstock for more sturdiness.  I used blue and green because you said she likes those colours.  I also swapped out the buttons for green baubles.

I can use glitter buttons if you prefer.  I can also change the colours.  I have other colours of glitter.  I can take a picture of them for you.  Let me know what you think.  (Being someone who appreciates the meaning of the ornaments on my tree, I'll undestand if it's not what you're looking for.)

PetiteTuques

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:19 pm »

I think these are sooo cute! I haven't put anything but balls on the tree, but slowly everything is getting broken, because of the kids pulling it off the tree- this would be a great alternative.. hey- can you put names on them??
Fairy Cardmaker

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:17 pm »

Aw, thanks Petite!  You have a great idea there!  If I use a smooth cardstock for the snowman, then I can certainly type a name along his bottom edge up the back towards the arm.  The number of characters would be limited though.  I could even put a name on one side and a date on the other!  I'll contact you with some design questions.

I love answering challenges because it just gets me thinking.  I might do up some other ornaments from my die cuts for next year's round!

You know, for your shop, I wonder if you could knit a cover for a styrofoam ball and then add some snowflakes or pointsettias - knit, crocheted, or even felt cut out ones!  Those baubles wouldn't break as easy!
PetiteTuques

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:11:28 pm »

I have patterns to make hand knit ornaments- it's definitely possible.. It wouldn't be too hard to knit a ball, stuff it and add embellishes to it... I'm thinking I'll have to try that! I'll definitely blog it if I get to do it!
Pages: [1]  
Main  >  iCraft Community Member Area  >  Talent Search  >  Looking for THE ornament
Jump to:  
Click