Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Advanced Search
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Writing for the Web  >  Blogging with SEO in mind
Pages: 1
Author

Blogging with SEO in mind

iCraft Admin

« on: November 28, 2009, 05:20:08 pm »

Tip # 1 – post as often as you can
Regular blog posts not only keep your existing readers engaged, they also attract new readers and search engines.
Search engines index pages on their own schedule. There is nothing site owner can do to change their schedule, other than regular site updates.
When search engines see that your content changes daily and not weekly or monthly, they’ll start visiting your pages more frequently.

Tip # 2 – keep it relevant to your niche
You can write on any subject, as long as you keep it relevant to your niche subject. This will help others, who land on your pages, get an idea of what your specialty is, and help search engines get relevancy right. This will also help you to establish yourself as an authority in your field.

Tip # 3 – don’t try to sell
Don’t plaster your store name all over your blog post and don’t promote yourself in every sentence. If you write your posts as sales copy, you will lose readers. Also, you won’t get as many inbound links. People tend to avoid linking to blogs, that try to sell to their readers.

Tip # 4 - provide unique quality content
Your content has to be unique and it has to provide value to your readers. Offer free tips, advice, share your experience, discuss news, related to your subject etc. Great content will increase your chances of being found by search engines. They constantly look for fresh content and will rank you well, if they find you relevant.

Tip # 5 – use your keywords
Google feeds on good keyword-rich content. Decide on target keywords before you write a post. Ensure you use important keywords in the title of your blog post. Use your keywords throughout your content, but don’t just keep repeating them over and over. Ensure you use other semantically similar words.

When adding an image to your blog post, make sure you use descriptive words to name that image, like “silver-ring-flower-shape.jpg” and add an Alt tag for this image like “Flower shaped handmade sterling silver ring.” Not only you can see what each image represents without opening it. That will also help search engines understand what each image is about. That will strengthen the relevance of your post.

Tip # 6 – provide enough copy
Search engines like copy and long articles. Human readers don’t always like long articles. So what you need to do as a blogger, is to strike a balance between the two.

If your blog post is only a sentence or two long, you will not be able to inject enough keywords in the copy to optimize it for search engines. If you can’t communicate relevancy to search engines, they will not include it in their search results. This means you’ll never have a big reach with that post, so why bother writing it? Not many people will find it.
Having a lot of images in the post doesn’t help either. Search engines can’t see them. So don’t replace copy with images, if you care about SEO.

Also see - 31 blog posts on how to improve your blogging.
http://techgeist.net/2009/05/31-posts-to-improve-your-blogging/

Cheers!
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:23:41 pm »

Wow some really good information here and written for the layman... or should I say dummy like me Smiley

Many people have
a) personal blog
b) personal website
c) icraft blog

My question is which venue is the best way to go? Tough to maintain so much online material as it really eats in to your time and energy.

What are the things to worry about in duplicate copy?

Off to read those 31 tips...
Craft Boutique

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »

I decided to go with iCraft Blog. This way it's all in one place - my store and my blog. I can login and check updates on both. Speaking of blog, here is my latest blog post Amazing Knits.     
Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks! Wink
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:14:17 am by iCraft Admin »
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

I loved it!  You did such a good job curating a really fun collection of hats and that tea cozy too is just so awesome.  I really want one Smiley

Great pictures! Very clear and bright.  I loved that last collection of kids hats with each one being linked.  How did you do that? Is that a type of widget that icraft has or is that something you have added from some other software?

Dying to know as I am about to post a blog in the next day or two.

Good job!!!! Tweeted some of the items and tweeted the article too

Cheers
Christine
Craft Boutique

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:17:40 am »

Thanks Christine! I saw your tweets. Smiley
Admin did the collage of pictures of kids hats. I had too many images for one blog post, so they've suggested combining them.
PillowThrowDecor

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 02:18:46 am »

Well your blog looked just awesome.  And your pictures were priceless especially the kidlets in the last one.

I am looking for some "lookbook" software / layout/widget.  Not sure what it is called.

Ideally I would like to download some pictures of sofas... then I can drag anyone of my pillows on the sofa.... I want to be able to number them with some added text or other notes right on the graphic.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Christine
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:50:02 pm by iCraft Admin »
dCipollo Designs

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:59:44 am »

Well your blog looked just awesome.  And your pictures were priceless especially the kidlets in the last one.

I am looking for some "lookbook" software / layout/widget.  Not sure what it is called.

Ideally I would like to download some pictures of sofas... then I can drag anyone of my pillows on the sofa.... I want to be able to number them with some added text or other notes right on the graphic.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Christine

Hi,

Can you give a little more info about what you want to do with the software?
Gramps Tshirt Cafe

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:56:54 am »

Excellent tips! Thank you Smiley
Gramps Tshirt Cafe

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:05:43 am »

Just wrote my first post and, even though I clicked 'Publish Now!', it's not on my blog. I found it in the 'View All My Posts' page and it says status is 'Pending'.

Is there something I need to do to change the status to published? If not, does it just happen automatically, or does someone have to manually review it, and how long does that normally take? Also, will this happen with every post, or just my first?
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 12:40:00 am »

Hi Bob,

We initially review all posts, except for in-house writers and a few members that have contributed many times in the past.

If you become a regular writer and follow our blogging guidelines, we'll remove moderation option from your profile.
This measure was added to promote higher quality writing on our community blog and to combat spam. Yes, we get those posts too once in a while.  Wink

By the way, I just reviewed your post. I like it, though Title needs to be more descriptive and I'd recommend to include an image or two to make your story more personal. Also, we need an image because it is required for other pages where we promote new blog posts, like the homepage page and the Community page.

I set your post to Draft, so you should be able to edit it again.
Let me know if you have more questions.
iCraft Admin

Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 12:50:45 am »

Bob,
You can update your blog post now and click Publish again. Thanks!
Pages: 1  
Main  >  Help & Advice for Sellers  >  Writing for the Web  >  Blogging with SEO in mind
Jump to:  
Click